Macan 2014-Current

Frustrated & Depressed - PCM 3.1 no screen at all

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 07:23 PM
jpc763
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated & Depressed - PCM 3.1 no screen at all

As the title references, I am frustrated and depressed due to my PCM 3.1 issue. I have a 2016 S that was upgraded with the Mr12Volt carplay add on. It was working great for 6-8 weeks until it just stopped working completely. No screen activity at all. No boot screen, no backup camera, nothing. Just black. So I did some troubleshooting.

Here is what I have done:
  • Remove the fuse for a short period and also a long period. No screen.
  • I heard a noise when running the car. I heard a chirp then a whir sound. I pulled the head unit and also saw that there was a blinking orange light at the connection to the hard drive. So, I disconnected the hard drive (I read on here that your PCM will run without one). The light and chirp went away but the whir stayed. Sadly, the screen stayed black. I then reconnected the hard drive and disconnected the CD player. Now the light and chirp came back and the whir was gone. Still no screen.
  • I removed the Mr12Volt completely and reconnected the stock unit. No screen.
  • I got a PCM update disk and loaded it into the CD. No screen and now I have a CD stuck in the drive.
  • Finally, I got a new hard drive. I made a copy of someone elses PCM hard drive and loaded it in. Nothing, no screen and the blinking light came back but the chirp went away (because the new drive is an SSD).
I am really frustrated and have no path forward. Suggestions to replace the head unit with the 12.3 Android unit are somewhat appealing but I am concerned that I will buy this and it STILL WONT WORK!

Is there any other troubleshooting I can do?

Quick Reply: Frustrated & Depressed - PCM 3.1 no screen at all