Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Some Advice on Purchasing a Pre-Owned Macan...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 09:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts
Default Some Advice on Purchasing a Pre-Owned Macan...

Hey there - just now a month into our nice pre-owned 2018 Macan GTS. Loving it and getting used to it's size, speed etc... Overall happy with purchase.

Took it into my local Porsche dealership yesterday for a good inspection and discovered it's got a Pre-owned Warranty that's good until Jan 2025! SCORE!

On inspection:
1. BRAKES: A bit mushy and not super stoppy. Disocover after market rotars and pads (??) that need replacing, fluid is dark and needs flushing (Not covered by Ext. warranty)
2. SUSPENSION: Right AS sensor needing replaced (Covered by Ext. warranty)
3. INTERIOR: Dashboard leather liffting up (Covered by Ext. warranty)
4. ENGINE: Oil leak - valve cover gasket? (Covered by Ext. warranty)
5. TIRES: Very good
6. WINDSHIELD: needs replacing (Not covered by Ext. warranty - GEICO insurance may cover it.)

Parts for AS, dash etc... all order - 4 weeks for delivery.

Bottom line? My friend did an excellent job on pre-inspection. Official PPI discovered numerous things, most covered by Ext Warranty. Whew. Super fortunate to discover it has the remaider of Ext. Warranty to cover these.

Looking at out of pocket about $3800* for brakes and +/- $1800 for winshield (IF Geico does not cover it). I'm OK with this.

ADVICE FOR THOSE PURCHASING A PRE-OWNED
1. Know before you go - have it taken to a Porsche Dealership and get a good PPI, scan the VIN for any pre-owned warranty. It might cost you $500 but I think looking back it's money well spent.
2. Enquire has to any remaining Pre-owned Warranty - I was SUPER lucky on this.
3. If not purchase an Extended Warranty as stuff can happen on these cars.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Again, happy with purchase as she's fun to drive but eyes open as to her needs.

JP

P.s. Porsche Clearwater, FL, service department? EXCELLENT. 5-stars.

* Correction

Last edited by Zeus993; 08-06-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:46 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

That's why I recommend that at a minimum you buy a CPO Macan to avoid all this BS and gives you the peace of mind to buy and enjoy the vehicle until such time as you get to know what maintenance is needed. A lot of your list would have been covered in a CPO inspection.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:10 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NickS
That's why I recommend that at a minimum you buy a CPO Macan to avoid all this BS and gives you the peace of mind to buy and enjoy the vehicle until such time as you get to know what maintenance is needed. A lot of your list would have been covered in a CPO inspection.
I think that's good advice, Nick. Just too expensive to fix without some sort of warrenty. I was fortunate with mine as I really liked the model and build. It's perfect for me, but finding a few flaws.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:16 PM
jmoney99
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

$5K for brakes? Are they replacing the calipers? Rotors and pads should be $1500 or less. I shopped mine around to different indies and was quoted anywhere from $1400 to 3000. 2018 S. Parts can even be bought for $600 online for everything but I’d probably screw up the install if I did it myself.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:40 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jmoney99
$5K for brakes? Are they replacing the calipers? Rotors and pads should be $1500 or less. I shopped mine around to different indies and was quoted anywhere from $1400 to 3000. 2018 S. Parts can even be bought for $600 online for everything but I’d probably screw up the install if I did it myself.
brakes on most porsches are super easy to do as DIY. It gets more complicated if you have to do the brake fluids. In the past I have done pads and rotors myself and had my indy do the fluids.

Last edited by john981; 08-05-2023 at 03:49 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by john981:
Blu311 (08-09-2023), boyce89976 (08-05-2023), Zeus993 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 02:18 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john981
brakes on most porsches are super easy to do as DIY. It gets more complicated if you have to do the brake fluids. In the past I have done pads and rotors myself and had my indy do the fluids.
How to you get to the Indy with no brake fluid? Do you not have to crack the bleed to relieve the pressure to removed the calipers, pads etc...?

Old 08-06-2023, 03:38 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
How to you get to the Indy with no brake fluid? Do you not have to crack the bleed to relieve the pressure to removed the calipers, pads etc...?

Unless the Macan is different from every other car I’ve ever worked on, pads and rotor replacement does not involve any actions that would allow air to enter the brake fluid and therefore bleeding is not required.

You open the cap of the brake fluid reservoir only, and make sure it does not overflow when the pistons are pressed back in.

Last edited by sivikvtec; 08-06-2023 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FRUNKenstein (08-13-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:57 AM
PorSHErookie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-owned 2017 Macan

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hey there - just now a month into our nice pre-owned 2018 Macan GTS. Loving it and getting used to it's size, speed etc... Overall happy with purchase.

Took it into my local Porsche dealership yesterday for a good inspection and discovered it's got a Pre-owned Warranty that's good until Jan 2025! SCORE!

On inspection:
1. BRAKES: A bit mushy and not super stoppy. Disocover after market rotars and pads (??) that need replacing, fluid is dark and needs flushing (Not covered by Ext. warranty)
2. SUSPENSION: Right AS sensor needing replaced (Covered by Ext. warranty)
3. INTERIOR: Dashboard leather liffting up (Covered by Ext. warranty)
4. ENGINE: Oil leak - valve cover gasket? (Covered by Ext. warranty)
5. TIRES: Very good
6. WINDSHIELD: needs replacing (Not covered by Ext. warranty - GEICO insurance may cover it.)

Parts for AS, dash etc... all order - 4 weeks for delivery.

Bottom line? My friend did an excellent job on pre-inspection. Official PPI discovered numerous things, most covered by Ext Warranty. Whew. Super fortunate to discover it has the remaider of Ext. Warranty to cover these.

Looking at out of pocket about $3800* for brakes and +/- $1800 for winshield (IF Geico does not cover it). I'm OK with this.

ADVICE FOR THOSE PURCHASING A PRE-OWNED
1. Know before you go - have it taken to a Porsche Dealership and get a good PPI, scan the VIN for any pre-owned warranty. It might cost you $500 but I think looking back it's money well spent.
2. Enquire has to any remaining Pre-owned Warranty - I was SUPER lucky on this.
3. If not purchase an Extended Warranty as stuff can happen on these cars.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Again, happy with purchase as she's fun to drive but eyes open as to her needs.

JP

P.s. Porsche Clearwater, FL, service department? EXCELLENT. 5-stars.

* Correction
Hi… new owner of 2017 Porsche Macan. I’ve only had her about 3 weeks. I’ve also never owned a Porsche before at all. So I’m a total newbie.

Your post had me scratching my head a bit…meaning all of the items you mentioned that the dealership found, does the Porsche in all its intelligence not tell you these things needed attention? I owned a 2011 BMW in the past and always found some solace in the fact that it always let me know when something needed maintenance and/or something was needing repair (via a plethora of indicator lights). I guess I assumed that Porsche, in all its German fineness would do the same. Now I’m nervous! I know, I know I need to read the manual…which is on my to-do list!

Excellent news on your warranty! I’m definitely going to check that out for mine so thank for the tip!
Old 08-08-2023, 03:52 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by PorSHErookie
Hi… new owner of 2017 Porsche Macan. I’ve only had her about 3 weeks. I’ve also never owned a Porsche before at all. So I’m a total newbie.

Your post had me scratching my head a bit…meaning all of the items you mentioned that the dealership found, does the Porsche in all its intelligence not tell you these things needed attention? I owned a 2011 BMW in the past and always found some solace in the fact that it always let me know when something needed maintenance and/or something was needing repair (via a plethora of indicator lights). I guess I assumed that Porsche, in all its German fineness would do the same. Now I’m nervous! I know, I know I need to read the manual…which is on my to-do list!

Excellent news on your warranty! I’m definitely going to check that out for mine so thank for the tip!
BMWs are not that intelligent. I have owned them for years, and they certainly cannot warn you of soft brake pedals, when to flush brake fluid, lifting dash leather, etc. Most of these thing are common sense and I am surprised they were not found by the PPI. Of course, a Porsche dealer is going to flag aftermarket rotors and pads, as they are officially "verboten" because they only recommend OEM Porsche parts. As to worry about Porsche service recommendations, compared to BMW they don't have "lifetime" coolant or trans and diff fluids. If anything, they are overkill on most service items compared to BMW if you go by the book.
The following users liked this post:
PorSHErookie (08-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Some Advice on Purchasing a Pre-Owned Macan...