Macan 2014-Current

Cost to add CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 11:37 AM
Redvoodoo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost to add CPO warranty

I am about to pull the trigger on a used Macan S, GTS, or Turbo. One that we are considering still has a few months of Mfg warranty. The vehicle is being sold at a Non-Porsche dealership but had been previously CPO'd at a Porsche dealer last year.

I talked to my Rep at my local Porsche dealership and they told me that in order to have it CPO'd not only would I have to pay the CPO cost but also pay tax on the car purchase again. They call it an "IN and Out Purchase for CPO". So essentially they buy it from me, CPO it and sell it back to me at the same price. Does this make any sense or correct? Is this their policy or this by law how it works?

Last edited by Redvoodoo; 07-25-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:15 PM
Vinny84
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As to the cost to CPO it, yes that’s correct in that you would have to pay for that process, assuming it passes the Porsche certification.

As for the dealer making you pay taxes as if you were buying it from the dealer, that’s new to me. I would call other Porsche dealers and see if that lines up with expectations.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 04:23 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 319 Posts

Payment of state sales tax depends on the state. Some states deduct the value of the trade-in from the sale price. In your case, that would be zero. BTW, the cost of CPO'ing can vary depending on what the dealer has to do to bring car up to spec, but expect at least a couple thousand dollars.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:58 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Redvoodoo
I am about to pull the trigger on a used Macan S, GTS, or Turbo. One that we are considering still has a few months of Mfg warranty. The vehicle is being sold at a Non-Porsche dealership but had been previously CPO'd at a Porsche dealer last year.

I talked to my Rep at my local Porsche dealership and they told me that in order to have it CPO'd not only would I have to pay the CPO cost but also pay tax on the car purchase again. They call it an "IN and Out Purchase for CPO". So essentially they buy it from me, CPO it and sell it back to me at the same price. Does this make any sense or correct? Is this their policy or this by law how it works?
Why not just get an extended warranty?
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (08-25-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 12:42 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

There is no reason you would have to pay taxes on the car twice. You'll have to pay taxes on the CPO work, most likely. I'd look for another dealer.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:33 PM
KevMacan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the CPO warranty was transferable. Do you have to pay to get it te-certified in order for that to happen?
Old 08-25-2023, 09:04 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

It all depends on your state, but for us here in AZ, we're eligible for a tax refund if you sell the vehicle with-in a short or limited time... but yeah it does seam like a hassle. Reach out to explore extended warranty options from our provider Fidelity, repairs accepted all all Porsche dealerships and licensed independents in the US/Canada. tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 08-26-2023, 10:03 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by KevMacan
I thought the CPO warranty was transferable. Do you have to pay to get it te-certified in order for that to happen?
CPO is only transferrable between individual owners. It appears this car was sold/traded to a non-Porsche dealer so the CPO would not be transferrable.
Old 08-26-2023, 11:09 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by mvmojo
CPO is only transferrable between individual owners. It appears this car was sold/traded to a non-Porsche dealer so the CPO would not be transferrable.
‘This is correct…CPO can only transfer from a private individual or a Porsche dealer. The dealer is basically buying your car and selling it back to you so they can CPO it. So, yes, you would have to pay tax on the purchase from The Porsche dealer.

Quick Reply: Cost to add CPO warranty