Notices
Macan 2014-Current

This forum is GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2023 | 11:44 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Default This forum is GREAT!

I'm so glad I found this forum! I also joined the Macan Forum, but quickly bailed due to all the negativity, complaining, and posts about so called "problems". Reminds me of Bimmerfest, haha.

This forum is full of enthusiasts, mature discussions, and it's so refreshing. Thanks for letting me camp out here!
The following 3 users liked this post by boyce89976:
///Bruce (07-21-2023), mrcarlo (07-21-2023), T3X4S (07-22-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 02:24 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

I've banned on Macan Forums, they're a bunch of butt hurt losers over there lol

This place is definitely better
The following 2 users liked this post by #1SomeGuy:
boyce89976 (07-21-2023), mrcarlo (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 05:00 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
I've banned on Macan Forums, they're a bunch of butt hurt losers over there lol

This place is definitely better
You were much more civil on ClubLexus lol.

Macan Forums has a much better historical resource for how to guides, diy stuff and technical troubleshooting. There's not as much useful activity here in my opinion but both have the built-in entertainment and expected cast of characters on a car forum.

The following 3 users liked this post by BMinSFL:
boyce89976 (07-21-2023), gellenole (07-21-2023), T3X4S (07-22-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 04:36 PM
gellenole
Advanced

macan forum has a bunch of people cry a lot. I lurk around now instead of participating. ^^^ in terms of resources, but in general porsche resources are almost nil compared to other brands with enthusiasts.
Old 07-21-2023 | 08:06 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

The ignore feature to block particular posters in the Macan forum is very useful.
The following 2 users liked this post by rasetsu:
boyce89976 (07-21-2023), gellenole (07-22-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 10:24 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
You were much more civil on ClubLexus lol.

Macan Forums has a much better historical resource for how to guides, diy stuff and technical troubleshooting. There's not as much useful activity here in my opinion but both have the built-in entertainment and expected cast of characters on a car forum.
Each forum seems to have it's own character...some like civil, some are just full of annoying idiots like on macanforum...I got banned there for calling out flat 6 I think it was? for a bunch of mistakes they were making in a video.
The following users liked this post:
boyce89976 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 11:13 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Biggest problem with MF is that the mods are DBs. They seem to have made it their personal mission in life to encourage as many new users as possible to use Facebook instead.
Old 07-22-2023 | 05:52 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Each forum seems to have it's own character...some like civil, some are just full of annoying idiots like on macanforum...I got banned there for calling out flat 6 I think it was? for a bunch of mistakes they were making in a video.
Hah how dare you! I've had a couple of email conversations with them over obvious pricing issues on their website, they didn't bother to fix it. I also had email conversations with the owner email displaying direct interest in making a purchase and was amazed he didn't bother to close the sale.
#1SomeGuy (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023 | 11:52 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

I’ve been involved in a number of other forums over the years, mostly sports participation. Each had their own, distinct personality. Of all of them, this is the most civil, helpful and well run. In general, when you’re dealing with athletes under anonymity, egos are never far from the surface. The funnest forum by far was GolfReview before it became defunct. There was a collection of incredibly funny regulars who would lie in wait for new members because the veterans were all hardened and in on the jokes. Although every now and then a topic would arise that fueled the anarchy. Examples are when Kim Jong claimed to have shot a 29 and Tiger crashed into a fire hydrant after Elin hit him with a 5 iron. Some of the members criticized the club choice.

The looniest site of all remains fully active today…it’s TGR. Skiers and snowboarders gather to trade the latest on conditions, equipment and ski models’ cabooses. It’s usually too much for me and I have pretty thick skin. I’m pretty sure many of the members have spent time in prison or will eventually. Anyways, if you’ve read this far, thank you for joining me on a 15 year voyage through my forum memories. These days, I’d keep buying Porches just for the privelege of posting with you guys on RL.
boyce89976 (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023 | 12:12 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of forums got bought up by Vertical Scope (and technically Internet Brands owns a bunch like this forum). VS absolutely destroyed most of the forums they touched, both functionality wise, and just no desire from the admins (or lack there of) to deal with member problems...typically just heavy ban hammers for anyone that did anything that would hurt their SEO/Advertising. The few independent forums out there are doing much better. Garage Journal, despite the owner Ryan being a bit of a dink at times, does run a tight/polite ship and so that forum is hugely active. The other success story is Irate4x4 which splintered off with Pirate4x4 got bought out. Irate is a complete oddity of a forum, everyone will argue with each other, call each other (and even the mods) names, and talk religion and politics and pretty much every taboo topic...and yet somehow get along and move mountains if any member needs help for any reason.
Old 07-22-2023 | 04:30 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Having been a member of the Macan forum since 2017, I've seen it go from a very productive and useful information resource to mostly bickering and closed threads due to same/similar questions from new members that some mods immediately shut down since they inevitably lead to bickering due to the "contributions" of a select few who just have a special way about them to irritate others but yet avoid the ban because I guess they technically aren't breaking any rules. This of course drives new users away, far away. My personal opinion is that the forum would be a much better place if some of those old members got banned for simply being consistently irritating to others and the mods. One such member has permeated the 992 forum and worshipped there and you can see how stale that is compared to the Rennlist 992 forum. I'm so glad he doesn't have a 718 as the 718 forum is the most enjoyable out of the three to me and I don't think that's a coincidence.
Old 07-22-2023 | 05:18 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Having been a member of the Macan forum since 2017, I've seen it go from a very productive and useful information resource to mostly bickering and closed threads due to same/similar questions from new members that some mods immediately shut down since they inevitably lead to bickering due to the "contributions" of a select few who just have a special way about them to irritate others but yet avoid the ban because I guess they technically aren't breaking any rules. This of course drives new users away, far away. My personal opinion is that the forum would be a much better place if some of those old members got banned for simply being consistently irritating to others and the mods. One such member has permeated the 992 forum and worshipped there and you can see how stale that is compared to the Rennlist 992 forum. I'm so glad he doesn't have a 718 as the 718 forum is the most enjoyable out of the three to me and I don't think that's a coincidence.
The thing is, if you treat n00bs the way the mods do on Macan Forum, you don't end up with anything but old farts on the forum. The forum eventually dies off along with its membership, and the new blood goes to "safe spaces" like Facebook where effective searching simply isn't possible for nonmembers.
The following 3 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
boyce89976 (07-22-2023), gellenole (07-25-2023), rasetsu (07-22-2023)

Quick Reply: This forum is GREAT!