Macan 2014-Current

Macan S - Balance between comfort and sportieness

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 05:27 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Macan S - Balance between comfort and sportieness

I just took delivery of my 2023 Macan S and plan to write a full review shortly. But before that, I just wanted to say how amazed I am about the level of comfort you experience in such a sports suv. The porsche engineers did a magic work to balance everything so perfectly that in one moment you can have the comfort of nice luxury suv while moment later (when hit the gas pedal) you can enjoy the ride of one of the most refined sports suvs. Initially i also was a little skeptic about the 14 way seats but those fit like a glove and are so comfy. I have to admit that I am still in the break in period and haven't tried the all in engine power yet but for now I can tell that I love this car. I had 2 981 boxsters before and I always called the 981 the perfection of automobile. But despite the fact that I don't have a middle engine anymore, the Macan S plays in the same league in regards of perfection. There are also few small negative things but for now I just wanted to talk about this specific aspect of this car. Great job porsche Engineers!!
The following 8 users liked this post by john981:
chicagomarketing (07-15-2023), hilander444 (07-14-2023), Llarry (07-15-2023), Patton250 (07-14-2023), Penstamin (07-15-2023), pmg (07-14-2023), Russian Mafia (07-14-2023), WillyDaP (07-15-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-14-2023, 05:54 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
I just took delivery of my 2023 Macan S and plan to write a full review shortly. But before that, I just wanted to say how amazed I am about the level of comfort you experience in such a sports suv. The porsche engineers did a magic work to balance everything so perfectly that in one moment you can have the comfort of nice luxury suv while moment later (when hit the gas pedal) you can enjoy the ride of one of the most refined sports suvs. Initially i also was a little skeptic about the 14 way seats but those fit like a glove and are so comfy. I have to admit that I am still in the break in period and haven't tried the all in engine power yet but for now I can tell that I love this car. I had 2 981 boxsters before and I always called the 981 the perfection of automobile. But despite the fact that I don't have a middle engine anymore, the Macan S plays in the same league in regards of perfection. There are also few small negative things but for now I just wanted to talk about this specific aspect of this car. Great job porsche Engineers!!
i’m looking forward to your full review. Thinking about getting this exact same vehicle for my wife. And of course so I can enjoy it also. :-). Why did you go with 14 way seats rather than 18? And what do you think of the space of the trunk? Right now my wife has an X.3 and we can put quite a few things in the back of it. Thanks man.
The following users liked this post:
john981 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 07:43 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I'm on my 3rd Macan and enjoying it's utilitarian sportiness and at the same time realizing what it is - a Sport Utility Vehicle and not a sports car per se like your Boxsters (of which I've had a enough iterations of them to know them well.).

I think the magic combination is going to be A) the Macan for daily use and B) a nice 987.2 Boxster Spyder (with it's sublime hydraulic steering) for those beautiful top-down low traffic evening and weekend romps. Perfect combo, I say!

And yes, congratulations and look forward to your more complete review!
The following 2 users liked this post by Zeus993:
john981 (07-14-2023), Llarry (07-15-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 01:20 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Glad you're enjoying your new Macan.
john981 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 03:23 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patton250
i’m looking forward to your full review. Thinking about getting this exact same vehicle for my wife. And of course so I can enjoy it also. :-). Why did you go with 14 way seats rather than 18? And what do you think of the space of the trunk? Right now my wife has an X.3 and we can put quite a few things in the back of it. Thanks man.
I went with the 14 way seats because those are seats focusing more on the comfort while the 18 way seats focus more on extra support. The 18 way seats are more bucketish seats and I am too big for bucket seats. The 14 way seats are really more than perfect. As mentioned before, I am very sensitive when it comes to car seats. I sold 2 brand new cars after few days because the seats were terrible and when you get older you learn how to avoid the same mistake for a 3rd time :-) If you like comfort go for the 14 way seats if you like bucket seats go for the 8 way or 18 way seats.
Can't tell much about the trunk yet since I haven't put anything there yet but from my first impression I would say it is not as terrible as people say. You can put a baby stroller in there and some extras. Might be on the smaller side of the SUV class but I think it is ok. Worst case scenario you can drop part of the back seats down.

One other thing I forgot to mention in my initial post is the sound of the engine, it is for me perfect, I wouldn't want the sports exhaust. When you use such a car/suv/cuv as daily driver you want to enjoy the sound but not being annoyed by the loud noise. I think that is another thing the porsche engineers balanced very well. When you need it, it is there and when you cruise you are not bothered by it.

Last edited by john981; 07-14-2023 at 03:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by john981:
Fast_Eddie Aus (07-16-2023), Santanamoda (07-27-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 06:42 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

Are you on steel springs or air suspension?
Terry Adams (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 11:10 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Are you on steel springs or air suspension?
steel, more than enough for me. I also intend to keep the car for longer than 4 years and don't want to end up paying an arm and a leg to fix any air suspension issues.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:06 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All--
I totally agree. I picked up a 2023 Macan S in January and really love it. It is a little rocket with excellent road feel and handling (and i don't have air suspension). I'm sure the GTS is even better.

This is my first Macan after four Cayennes and this Macan S is amazing. I thought it would be too cramped in the drivers area- but it is great. It has the good version of PCM (before it got revised in the 2023 Cayennes). I actually have a 23 Base Cayenne too..... which is also excellent but it does not handle like a Macan S.

In fact, if anyone hears that they are changing the Macan in any way such as different interior (like the Cayenne), please send a message.... i would order a new one in a different color and with full leather before the change.

Old 07-15-2023, 02:06 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 719 Likes on 252 Posts

Our 24 Macan S with Air Suspension is less than a month away. It’s currently in the Atlantic headed to the Panama Canal. We can’t wait. Should be a nice upgrade from the SQ5
Old 07-15-2023, 02:53 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

I just came back from my Saturday morning ride and was thinking why did I not buy a Macan S many many years ago, it is such a blast to drive! To answer my own question, Porsche has improved the Macan over the past few years so dramatically that the new 2022/23/24 Macan S is a completely different car than the first Macan S. More powerful, more loaded in the base version and when you adjust the base price (and include the inflation factor etc.) it is almost cheaper than the 2015 Macan S. For me is the Macan S the sport vehicle with the best value on the entire (US)market. Again, it is not perfect perfect but perfect enough for me :-))
Old 07-15-2023, 03:07 PM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As an SUV and Porsche owner that was looking for the ideal DD, I have enjoyed the 22S as an only car. Use a hitch rack and roof rack at times. Gave up a little space compared to my previous SUVs, but it has been worth it.

Looked at Macans for a few years until deciding the 2022 S trim had what I wanted. Steel/PASM and no PSE has suited me fine. Have driven the GTS and it’s more than I need, but if they keep making ICE Macans and I stick with a single car, I might change my mind!
Old 07-15-2023, 04:25 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Yes, I agree. I had our 2018 GTS out for a good rip this am and it's got some good skootch and tossibility! No, it's on a 987 Spyder (dream handling) but it's fun enough just romping around in it. Excellent daily driver!
Old 07-15-2023, 04:54 PM
WillyDaP
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 150 Posts

Got my wife a 2020 CPO Macan S from Porsche of Omaha earlier this year and both of us are loving it. She has had 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees over the years and we liked them for their ride and capabilities , but I was hoping we could get back into a car since there are just the two of us. She really wanted another SUV and the Macan S has turned out to be perfect for us. She gets her SUV and I get a sporty machine that will out handle quite a few cars --- and it drivers like one. The surprises, so far , have been how comfortable it is with the 14 way adj. seats, and how unbelievably quiet it is. With a Chalk Cayman GTS supposed to land at the Omaha Dealership in late September , it seems ironic we will go from no Porsches to two in just one year ------ 2023 is a good year!
Old 07-15-2023, 09:14 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Got a Macan S recently - agree on a great all-rounder/ great daily driver. .....I keep suspension in the low-setting (drops it by an inch) and shocks in sport setting (not sport plus). Rides really well in city and highway.....still in break-in but 2.9L engine seems responsive (although really kicks in after 3k RPM).....brakes are solid but produce fair bit of brake dust.....I think the GTS has the PSCBs which I have on my Cayenne turbo- zero brake dust.... I do have the 18 way sports seats in the Cayenne but for the Macan, it is lower and getting in/out of the 14 way seats is a bit easier in my view and it still holds you in corners (but if you corner hard regularly, the sports seats are probably better). Macan S' stock exhaust is great - better than the Cayenne turbo exhaust frankly......the Macan GTS has the extra horsepower and larger brakes vs S but there was a wait list and I am not a fan of the blackened front fascia (which they introduced on Cayenne turbos couple of years back)...... will get to know the S better post break-in but really good first impression...!

Last edited by turbo power; 07-15-2023 at 09:35 PM.
Zeus993 (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 09:27 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

I talked only about the positives but one big negative thing on the Macan S are the brakes. I have never had a car with such terrible brakes. I had read about the bad brakes in other posts but kind of ignore it until now. These brakes are indeed a safety concern, don't know if in emergency situation I can rely on them.

Quick Reply: Macan S - Balance between comfort and sportieness