Tire Condition when buying CPO

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 05:51 PM
ErnieHeisterkamp
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Condition when buying CPO

Hi,

First post on Rennlist. I bought my first Porsche last weekend (in SoCal), a base CPO 2021 Macan. So far I love the car (even though yes, it only has 4 cylinders), but after washing it myself for the first time today I noticed the front tires are pretty worn (see pictures).
Probably should’ve noticed this before signing for it.

I’m wondering, how worn exactly are these, how much life (%) do they have left in them?
Also, considering this is a CPO car, does the dealership take tire condition into account at all? Honestly a bit taken aback by the condition of these, not sure if that’s justified though and wondering if reaching out to the dealership would be likely to lead anywhere. Other than this they were pleasant to deal with.

Appreciate any advice!

Old 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Tires

Don’t look like 2 year old tires. Dry rot/cracks. Tread gouges odd to say the least. CPO or no, think replacement warranted.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Take it back ASAP so they can't say you did all this in one week of ownership. I thought the CPO checklist (did you get a copy) indicated the tread depth, etc.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 07:45 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

It's been off roaded. Too new to be rot.
The following 3 users liked this post by Terry Adams:
///Bruce (02-18-2023), jbx2 (10-22-2023), Van Larson (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 08:08 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieHeisterkamp
Hi,

First post on Rennlist. I bought my first Porsche last weekend (in SoCal), a base CPO 2021 Macan. So far I love the car (even though yes, it only has 4 cylinders), but after washing it myself for the first time today I noticed the front tires are pretty worn (see pictures).
Probably should’ve noticed this before signing for it.

I’m wondering, how worn exactly are these, how much life (%) do they have left in them?
Also, considering this is a CPO car, does the dealership take tire condition into account at all? Honestly a bit taken aback by the condition of these, not sure if that’s justified though and wondering if reaching out to the dealership would be likely to lead anywhere. Other than this they were pleasant to deal with.

Appreciate any advice!

Did you take delivery of the vehicle with tires with the pictured appearance?
Old 02-18-2023, 08:09 PM
ErnieHeisterkamp
6th Gear

I just took it to another dealership and asked them if the tires needed to be replaced and they said they looked fine.
This dealership should not have had any incentive to tell me the tires are fine when they’re not right? They’re not affiliated with the dealership I bought at, and I didn’t even mention anything about it being a recently CPO’d car.

The tread depth also is not past the wear indicator on the tire yet.

Unsure of what to do now since if this other dealership told me they’re fine I can’t imagine my dealership would be any more willing to replace?
Old 02-18-2023, 08:13 PM
ErnieHeisterkamp
6th Gear

Originally Posted by chassis
Did you take delivery of the vehicle with tires with the pictured appearance?
Unfortunately I did, yes. I had looked at the car during the day a week prior, without the intention of buying it and then when I took delivery of it a week later it was dark, so I didn’t notice.
Obviously a rookie mistake and I won’t make it again, but still wondering if I have any chance of getting them replaced now, even though I realize I gave up my leverage by signing the contract.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:24 PM
ErnieHeisterkamp
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Take it back ASAP so they can't say you did all this in one week of ownership. I thought the CPO checklist (did you get a copy) indicated the tread depth, etc.
I just checked my files, I did not get a copy of the CPO checklist. Guess a first step would be asking for that.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:44 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieHeisterkamp
Unfortunately I did, yes. I had looked at the car during the day a week prior, without the intention of buying it and then when I took delivery of it a week later it was dark, so I didn’t notice.
Obviously a rookie mistake and I won’t make it again, but still wondering if I have any chance of getting them replaced now, even though I realize I gave up my leverage by signing the contract.
The tires in the photos are not acceptable imo. Tell the selling dealer you want new tires, at least to replace the ones you pictured.

The "second opinion" dealer is toeing the line and covering for the selling dealer.
ErnieHeisterkamp (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:02 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Take that Macan back! Tell them to get the SM right then. This is NOT acceptable. That’s dangerous.

Tell me, you feel comfortable driving at potentially terminal speeds with family or friends in there?

In my experience, most CPO vehicles usually have new tires. Not half-destroyed ones.

And if the SM balks, get the GM right then and there. Make this happen. IMO….
The following 2 users liked this post by ///Bruce:
ErnieHeisterkamp (02-18-2023), nevil (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:51 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 563 Posts

I would agree that this is not CPO quality, First work with the dealer to get a set of new tires.

If exausting all options there, just buy a new set of tires. Tires are cheap and you should not have to buy them yourself, but if push comes to shove, just buy them and drive your new car. Don't use that dealer again.

You could take it up with PCNA, but this isn't a faulty engine, so you may not prevail.

Congratulations, by the way. Great car!

Last edited by Marv; 02-18-2023 at 09:54 PM.
ErnieHeisterkamp (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 10:14 PM
ErnieHeisterkamp
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Marv
I would agree that this is not CPO quality, First work with the dealer to get a set of new tires.

If exausting all options there, just buy a new set of tires. Tires are cheap and you should not have to buy them yourself, but if push comes to shove, just buy them and drive your new car. Don't use that dealer again.

You could take it up with PCNA, but this isn't a faulty engine, so you may not prevail.

Congratulations, by the way. Great car!
Thanks for the advice and I really appreciate your words. Things like this can really taint this otherwise awesome experience of getting your first Porsche and it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that it’s still a great car. Guess I’ll see where talking to the dealer gets me.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:17 PM
ErnieHeisterkamp
6th Gear

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ll reach out to my salesman tomorrow and send him these pictures (dealership is 2h away unfortunately). If that doesn’t get me anywhere I’ll reach out to the SM/GM and as a last resort Porsche NA.

I’ll report back later!
Old 02-18-2023, 10:21 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Mine is an hour away. So?
Old 02-19-2023, 12:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

I think the CPO checklist just has a wear measurement on the tires. My 2018 Panamera CPO bought in 2022 had original tires because of low milage. I asked about the tires being aged out and was told that's not a CPO renewal requirement. Subsequently a sidewall bubbled out on one of them 2 months later.
Then again the CPO checklist I was given said they flushed the brake fluid...I flushed it myself after getting the car and it was clearly not done given the color of the fluid. Point being the attention to detail on CPO appears not to be what we all think it is.

Quick Reply: Tire Condition when buying CPO