Macan 2014-Current

Last year for gas Macan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 06:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Sympathies, Onami.
Have done numerous road trips to your beautiful country, East and West.
Can't imagine a road trip without enough charging stations. Hope they have a plan.
Keeping my gas Macan because I love it. In many aspects, the best Porsche I have ever owned.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:37 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 877 Likes on 545 Posts

CEO says 18-24 months overlap after the EV Macan comes out, then the gas powered Macan is a goner…

Same here Terry…I’m on my second Macan S and it is the best daily. Still love my 993 on the weekends though 😀

Last edited by Onami; 01-16-2023 at 08:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Onami:
spankster23 (01-24-2023), Terry Adams (01-16-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 10:27 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Lots of Porsche enthusiasts have embraced cars with plugs as being even more fun to drive than cars without them.
My Macan has been a very practical car in terms of both daily driving and long road trips -- more so than my Panameras, but not nearly as fun to drive as a Panamera is.
I have test-driven many Taycans and have come close to getting a CT4, but am now waiting to see how the Macan Electric turns out.
We've had three PHEVs (two currently), and I really prefer driving them in all-electric mode. BEVs are the perfect daily driver, really, if you can plug in at home (as most Porsche owners can do) and if you don't need to use them for road trips (i.e., have non-BEVs for road trips). The Macan Electric is looking to build on the Taycan with faster charging speeds and a considerably larger battery pack (so more range); I think it is going to be superb.

That said, I've been hoping in vain for a Macan E-Hybrid for years, as my Panamera E-Hybrid is simply too impractical. I need more ground clearance, for one thing. I am finished buying cars without a plug. For the cost and performance, the value of my 2019 Macan is unbeatable in the auto industry. But I'm just so turned off going to gas stations (unpleasant experiences compounded with lack of desire to support the corrupt oil industry). I'm glad that governments (all ultimately through elected officials -- not "unelected bureaucrats") around the world are understanding the severity of climate change and looking beyond just the next couple of years -- to thanks of unborn future children and grandchildren, as well as the living children of today. It is something that must happen (getting weaned off fossil fuels). ICEVs are so 20th-century; we are almost a quarter of the way into the 21st century, and this is the century that leaves gasoline-powered personal vehicles behind. For those stubbornly clinging to the nostalgia of gas fumes and ICE sounds -- you/they can keep their ICEVs as long as you want and buck the trend (just as horse-and-buggy proponents pooh-poohed the lack of gas/petrols stations a century ago). Good luck with that.

Like many of you, I've followed what Porsche is doing closely for years, and my understanding is that the Macan Electric will start production next year (2024), with ICE Macans being made in Leipzig until at least 2026 (the two-year, side-by-side mantra is oft-repeated), but I've also heard that Porsche may well go some years beyond 2026, depending on how Porsche BEV sales go (i.e., financial issues). I'll be surprised if Porsche stops making ICE Macans before MY2028; the world is not ready for road-tripping BEVs yet (but most Porsche owners don't seem to do much in the way of long road trips with their cars, as they fly long distances -- with Macan owners certainly the biggest exceptions). I really like my 2019 Macan, but I'm ready to move into a Cayenne E-Hybrid next year (25-kWh battery pack) and then into the Macan Electric (107-kWh battery pack). I will not miss going to gas stations or miss the engine sounds one iota. I'm more into driving than into car smells and sounds, and Porsche is committed to making fabulous sporty vehicles with plugs. Filling up on electrons at home for all my daily driving is vastly better than going to dirty gas stations in crappy weather conditions; can't beat that. And I'll keep a PHEV for another decade for those long road trips, until public-charging infrastructure and technology starts approaching that of gas stations currently.

Last edited by cometguy; 01-23-2023 at 10:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jbx2 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 04:46 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 87 Posts

Good for you!

Me, I'll keep driving gas powered cars. I have another 911 on order and will order another gas Macan next year.
The following users liked this post:
justabout (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 10:01 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Wilke
Good for you!

Me, I'll keep driving gas powered cars. I have another 911 on order and will order another gas Macan next year.
EV's are a long way from prime time.

Quick Reply: Last year for gas Macan?