Notices
Macan 2014-Current

AAA Wheel & Tire Protection Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 03:24 AM
Speedracer_2020
4th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I've never had great experiences with these programs. Either they do a half-a&&ed repair job on the tire or there's some obscure reason that it's not eligible.

That goes for the "scratch and dent" warranties, the "security" items etc.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:12 PM
AaronGTS
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul125
Ended up cancelling the policy through the dealership and should get about $2400 of the $2500 back, then signed up for the AAA coverage (including PDR and key replacement) for $1,003 for 5 years/unlimited mileage. Thanks again for the tip
Thats why these forums are awesome! We all help each other!
The following users liked this post:
Paul125 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:32 AM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I just got my new GT4 and am signing up for AAA tire and wheel coverage. I typically don’t get any of these coverages but with the low profile tires I thought I made sense. Dealer quoted $3500 for 3 years from Porsche and AAA was $1000 for 5 years including key fob and scratch coverage. Dealer didn’t even try to negotiate.

The only major difference as i can tell is that AAA reserves the right to patch a tire whereas Porsche will not patch, only replace. I’m comfortable with that, and for the price difference I can always replace any patched tires if I go to the track if I’m concerned.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:28 PM
AaronGTS
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by absame
I just got my new GT4 and am signing up for AAA tire and wheel coverage. I typically don’t get any of these coverages but with the low profile tires I thought I made sense. Dealer quoted $3500 for 3 years from Porsche and AAA was $1000 for 5 years including key fob and scratch coverage. Dealer didn’t even try to negotiate.

The only major difference as i can tell is that AAA reserves the right to patch a tire whereas Porsche will not patch, only replace. I’m comfortable with that, and for the price difference I can always replace any patched tires if I go to the track if I’m concerned.
Exactly... dealer wouldn't negotiate with me either and surprised with that price LOL
Old 01-29-2023, 09:31 PM
Gary S.
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I never buy the extra insurance hadn't damaged a tire or wheel in about 45 years. Buy a new BMW few weeks of ownership I pickup a bolt right on the edge of the tread,new tire time. Fast forward 5 years buy the Macan not quite a year in I find this clamp in a drive thru. New tire time again. Added a Cayenne to the fleet I bought the insurance-2 years no trouble knock on wood.

AaronGTS (01-29-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 11:44 AM
plantaris
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul125
Ended up cancelling the policy through the dealership and should get about $2400 of the $2500 back, then signed up for the AAA coverage (including PDR and key replacement) for $1,003 for 5 years/unlimited mileage. Thanks again for the tip
I also purchased the Sonsio when i got my car (nov 21). I cancelled it after barely 13 month (dec). After 2 months still no word from dealership. I contact the person who sold it to me. He said thought their accounting officer processed it and he said the check comes from corporate office? I followed up again after a week. Dealership didn't issued the check until after middle of Feb. I got back $1,800 (check inv just gave me bunch of code#) while as per my receipt I paid $3,117 for the package (I have separate receipt I paid via CC). Tx 8.875. I looked into my car's invoice and they put down Sonsio as $2589. I think they should also refund me part of sales tax. The 3117 amt in receipt didn't explain to me the details. Since it's been over a year don't remember much. Still will not match up. I just email the person.

I requested a quote (AAA). My car is 2021 don't know if I can still get one. Do I need to be a AAA member to get a reasonable price?
Old 03-10-2023, 05:30 PM
Paul125
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by plantaris
I also purchased the Sonsio when i got my car (nov 21). I cancelled it after barely 13 month (dec). After 2 months still no word from dealership. I contact the person who sold it to me. He said thought their accounting officer processed it and he said the check comes from corporate office? I followed up again after a week. Dealership didn't issued the check until after middle of Feb. I got back $1,800 (check inv just gave me bunch of code#) while as per my receipt I paid $3,117 for the package (I have separate receipt I paid via CC). Tx 8.875. I looked into my car's invoice and they put down Sonsio as $2589. I think they should also refund me part of sales tax. The 3117 amt in receipt didn't explain to me the details. Since it's been over a year don't remember much. Still will not match up. I just email the person.

I requested a quote (AAA). My car is 2021 don't know if I can still get one. Do I need to be a AAA member to get a reasonable price?
I checked our application and you can get coverage regardless of whether you have a new or used car. We went through AAA to purchase our policy, so I assume you need to be a member. BTW, finally got our refund from the dealership today almost 2 months after cancelling - pleasantly surprised to get the full $2,500 purchase price back!
Old 08-03-2023, 11:47 AM
gotham
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is 100% worth it !!!
I have a 2014 911 C2S. spend 1000.00 for tire and wheel warranty. had a nail in the tire on the shoulder, then found had a nail in the other rear tire. these are 500 each plus install. both covered no problem. plan paid for itself in under 4 months !!
Old 08-03-2023, 11:51 AM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gotham
it is 100% worth it !!!
I have a 2014 911 C2S. spend 1000.00 for tire and wheel warranty. had a nail in the tire on the shoulder, then found had a nail in the other rear tire. these are 500 each plus install. both covered no problem. plan paid for itself in under 4 months !!
did they replace tires or patch? That seems to be the biggest difference between AAA and Porsche.
991Targa4S (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:03 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

Can you send a link? I can't find it anywhere for california
Old 08-03-2023, 12:35 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I got wheel and tire insurance for 3 years when we bought our Macan S. It was a package that was provided by the dealer and not AAA - cant remember the insurance company, but they are based in Denver.

We did it because my wife has a nasty habit of damaging expensive wheels, so made sense given the size and cost of the Macan wheels. Less worried about the tire side of things. I have no idea how the AAA insurance works, but I had a nail in the sidewall of a rear tire a while ago and it couldnt be repaired. Time to claim on the insurance then? Yes, but it only covered one wheel! My tires were about half worn so replacing just one with a new tire was risky - given the recommendations from Porsche and the community as a whole. I am sure you are aware, but the recommendation is to replace all tires if there is a difference of (I think) 2mm. Correct me if I am wrong here, but its a pretty minor size difference.

Anyway, long story short - had to replace all 4 tires but got one for free under the insurance policy. Better than nothing I guess, but didnt really make a dent in the overall cost based on the original cost of the insurance. Would I get it again? Nope.

As for the wheel side of things - the designs differ of course, but I have found that Porsche wheels are typically well within the profile of the tire itself, so damaging them through parking and hitting curbs is less of an issue. Came from a C63S which had its wheels protruding past the tires, which means constant fear. Just mentioning that.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:45 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronGTS
I picked up my 23' GTS a few weeks ago and was contemplating on getting the AAA Wheel and Tire protection for the duration of my lease (36 months). Has anyone this insurance service from AAA?

At a cost of $928 for 3 year coverage it seems like a great value, especially since it also covers the replacement of loss keys and dings

I'm a realtor and do lots of driving and I assume the replacement/installation cost of a new 21" Michelin Pilot Sport All Season is not going to cheap. I've attached their pricing and coverage guide.
In my case it would have paid for itself several times. Brake-checked into a center island. “Thank You” I never yelled.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:05 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

It seems AAA doesn't offer this insurance in California, I cant find it anywhere online.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:30 AM
ddsRepTarga4S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend at Nissan that i have been using on all my cars for wheel, tire and key replacement insurance.. $800 for 5 years

Lexus, porsche 911, macan Gts etc.. If you want i can help facilitate this for anyone here

Old 11-14-2023, 10:28 PM
elam5518
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone who has used the wheel or tire coverage, where did you have the work done, through your dealer? I'm trying to get rim repair and none of the repair companies work with the insuramce, they all want me to submit and get reimbursed which the policy does not allow for.

Quick Reply: AAA Wheel & Tire Protection Worth It?