Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Using CTEK on battery with clamshell closed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022 | 01:39 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Default Using CTEK on battery with clamshell closed

I want to leave my CTEK connected to my battery with the clamshell closed or nearly closed to keep dust, spiders, mice, etc. out of my engine bay while I charge the battery. Since the hood is a clamshell I haven't figured out how to do this without the clamshell damaging the cord for the CTEK. Does anyone know of a good way to deal with this issue?
Old 12-12-2022 | 02:20 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Plug into cig lighter? What I do, then pass cord through cracked window opening.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (03-27-2023)
Old 12-12-2022 | 02:22 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Plug into cig lighter? What I do, then pass cord through cracked window opening.
I read on one of the other forums that in the Macan the cigarette lighter port will shut off after 15 minutes of charging, unless you take the car to the dealer to have that feature coded off. That is not happening when you plug in?
Old 12-12-2022 | 02:33 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Nope. Keeps charging from almost empty to fully charged.
Old 12-12-2022 | 04:11 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Nope. Keeps charging from almost empty to fully charged.
Good to know. Have you tried running the cord out the door and shutting the door? I do that on my GT4 and it works fine with no damage to the door or the door seal. Just need to be careful shutting the door to make sure the cord is flat.
Old 12-12-2022 | 07:41 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Good to know. Have you tried running the cord out the door and shutting the door? I do that on my GT4 and it works fine with no damage to the door or the door seal. Just need to be careful shutting the door to make sure the cord is flat.
Rather run it through the window open at the top. No chance of crimping the cord. What do you have against a window or SR slightly open?
Old 12-12-2022 | 09:46 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

I want to leave my CTEK connected to my battery with the clamshell closed or nearly closed to keep dust, spiders, mice, etc. out of my engine bay while I charge the battery. Since the hood is a clamshell I haven't figured out how to do this without the clamshell damaging the cord for the CTEK. Does anyone know of a good way to deal with this issue?
What year is your Macan?

On my 2021, there is a cutout in the baffle up by the windshield so a cable can pass through, so I connect my CTEK in through there. I drape the cable over the driver side mirror so it isn't dragging all over my finish.
Old 12-12-2022 | 10:25 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Sure...just close the hood until the safety latches engage - leaves enough room for the cable without pinching.
Nickshu (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022 | 10:45 PM
mikebrinda
Instructor

I use the clips on the - and + posts towards the back of the clamshell. I run the cable out the back towards the wipers, then close the clamshell until it latches, but not fully closed. I then insert the male charger piece into the female clip socket and turn on the charger. I’m not where the Macan is or I would post a photo.
TripleL (01-03-2023)
Old 12-13-2022 | 09:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Bring the quick connector up to the cowl and wire tie it to something up there. That's what I do with my Cayenne and 944. On my 928 I connect it to the jump posts and being it down to the front grill. On one of my 997s I use the passenger fiitwell cigarette lighter and just close the door on the cord. The door seal rubber is so soft it won't crimp or damage the cord.
Old 12-13-2022 | 07:43 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up running the cords up through the opening at the rear part of the clam shell, as suggested by several of you. Worked fine, but I had to use my BMW charger (a BMW branded Battery Tender) instead my CTEK. The alligator clips on the BMW charger are not as fat and that made is easier to lay the positive clip almost on it’s side while attached to the positive charging post. With the CTEK, the clips had to go almost vertical and it looked like that would make closing the clamshell a problem. They are just much chunkier clips.

The car is a 2023 as some had asked.
Old 12-13-2022 | 08:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'd buy a quick connect with the ring terminals you can permanently install onto the battery cables rather than using the clips.
Old 12-13-2022 | 08:29 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'd buy a quick connect with the ring terminals you can permanently install onto the battery cables rather than using the clips.
Have not seen those before for car terminals. I have used them on motorcycles though and they would be great for the Macan. Do you have a specific vendor in mind or does CTEK make such a product?
Old 12-13-2022 | 08:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Have not seen those before for car terminals. I have used them on motorcycles though and they would be great for the Macan. Do you have a specific vendor in mind or does CTEK make such a product?
Here you go.
CTEK (56-382) Comfort Indicator Eyelet for M8 Top Post Batteries , Black https://a.co/d/b8Y8Tel
Old 12-14-2022 | 01:48 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petza914
Here you go.
CTEK (56-382) Comfort Indicator Eyelet for M8 Top Post Batteries , Black https://a.co/d/b8Y8Tel
The battery is in the back, under the trunk floor. I connected one of these to it and run the cable under the back door. But we drive ours so often we rarely need to put it on a tender.

Quick Reply: Using CTEK on battery with clamshell closed