Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 09:51 AM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

Activating Sport mode is part of the startup process here. Regular mode feels like driving with the parking brake on.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:24 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

My first accident was not being able to accelerate away quickly enough from a Ford Ranger sliding towards the rear of my Porsche. Sport upon startup. Sport+ if needing to merge or pass.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:24 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mvmojo
Sport Mode also keeps the front louvers open to provide more cooling for the engine and transmission. I've seen oil temps drop 20 degrees F at highway speeds in cruise control simply by engaging Sport Mode. Nothing else changes in the car's performance since you're on cruise control.
I have confirmed that the shutters open, and also confirmed the reduction in oil temp, 15-20° cooler oil, and it changes fairly quickly!
Old 05-17-2023, 07:54 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 441 Likes on 256 Posts

Can anyone confirm whether the T-design9 memory module works on 22' or 23' Macan?

Avera
Old 05-18-2023, 02:22 PM
TET GT3
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
I have confirmed that the shutters open, and also confirmed the reduction in oil temp, 15-20° cooler oil, and it changes fairly quickly!
If there was a benefit to running cooler the factory calibration would be that way. Oil needs to be hot to burn off moisture.
The additional cooling in sport mode is in anticipation of hard driving.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:45 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TET GT3
If there was a benefit to running cooler the factory calibration would be that way. Oil needs to be hot to burn off moisture.
Except... there seems to be lots of data pointing to PDK failures caused by excess heat buildup to the electronic control board. Running in Sport mode "may" help lower PDK temps and prolong it's life.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:09 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvmojo
Except... there seems to be lots of data pointing to PDK failures caused by excess heat buildup to the electronic control board. Running in Sport mode "may" help lower PDK temps and prolong its life.
The hottest I have ever seen the oil temp with my 23' GTS is 205 degrees. By contrast, my 718 GT4 routinely ran 230-245 degrees with the PDK constantly pounded with manual shifts.

Could be wrong, but I have a hard time believing the Macan PDK is in any jeopardy from excess heat . . . although just about anything can, and will periodically brake on these disposable appliances.

Avera
Old 05-18-2023, 04:59 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

My Macan S does not have sport plus and I really don’t like the shifting in low gears. It almost seems to accelerate quicker in normal mode.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:19 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 475 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by TET GT3
Regardless of how it is cooled, the oil spends plenty of time in contact with surfaces one helluva lot hotter than 212F. If there's a drawback, it's likely that the engine takes longer to come up to operating temperature.

Hot oil == less pumping and friction loss. That's why they run it hotter in 'Normal' mode. Not because it's optimal for engine life.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 05-19-2023 at 02:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Avera (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 09:33 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp;[url=tel:18811034
18811034[/url]]Regardless of how it is cooled, the oil spends plenty of time in contact with surfaces one helluva lot hotter than 212F. If there's a drawback, it's likely that the engine takes longer to come up to operating temperature.

Hot oil == less pumping and friction loss. That's why they run it hotter in 'Normal' mode. Not because it's optimal for engine life.
Agree with all of this. Not only that, moisture does escape, even below boiling temp, because it’s still pretty hot, and also because the crankcase is typically under some sort of vacuum.

Regarding how long it takes to warm up in normal vs. sport, I’m curious to know that myself. I’m hoping it’s about the same time based on thermostats acting as they do.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:58 AM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
My Macan S does not have sport plus and I really don’t like the shifting in low gears. It almost seems to accelerate quicker in normal mode.
thats interesting, as it has not been my experience at all. The only way i could possibly see it accelerating better in normal mode is if you really stick your foot into it. Otherwise, i prefer manual.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:23 PM
Veki
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HKDaytona
Just got my 2023 Macan GTS.

I have a question about the sport mode. The normal mode seems a bit soft.

Is it ok to use sport mode all the time?
Absolutely, i always drive in spot mode, normal is too normal and sport+ is to violent... Perfect setting for every day use...
Old 05-22-2023, 07:50 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Veki
Absolutely, i always drive in spot mode, normal is too normal and sport+ is to violent... Perfect setting for every day use...
Ditto, concur completely! I would sure like to buy some sort of widget that would retain the setting though.
The following 3 users liked this post by RandyL:
16PanaHybrid (05-22-2023), Avera (05-22-2023), mrcarlo (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 08:18 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Ditto, concur completely! I would sure like to buy some sort of widget that would retain the setting though.
23' GTS

Roar Pedal is what I consider the best $150 anyone could spend on a Macan, or $300 if you prefer another aftermarket option. They are all the same.

Could have been very happy with a Roar Pedal and Normal mode all day, every day.

Frivolously installed COBB tune. Performs flawlessly and has really given the 2.9L V6 some 'more' where it otherwise tends to flatten out. Again, Normal mode absolutely brilliant with throttle controller . . . and even better with COBB tune.

The COBB tune does NOT address throttle lag, so the throttle booster remains a must . . . SPORT and SPORT Plus offer nothing.

However, I still wish there was a way to save the settings because it is just too damn inconvenient to hit a simple console button (exhaust) button every time I get into the car. It sounds stupid but, for some reason, it is simply a pain in the *ss having to hit that damn button constantly.

Avera
Old 05-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Veki
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you have sport chrono,just turn **** and that's it... I like to use it in sport+ in the morning for cold start with sport exhaust... Always nice to hear exhaust burps...

Quick Reply: Sport mode