Macan 2014-Current

Winter wheel - rims with TPMS not responding

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 09:02 PM
Anthwp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter wheel - rims with TPMS not responding

Team, Need direction I have both a Macan and a Cayenne that I run summer wheels and rims both with TPMS then change out for winter wheels and tires with TPMS. Had the winter set mounted on the Macan but the TPMS will not read the new setup. they have worked in years past with just setting the TPMS to the correct wheel type and sizes. After driving typically they reset at speed with no issues. I have read all type of instructions, let all 4 wheels air out reset system the then refill tires, change tire type then run until setup reads the wheels new sizes types

But now 3 weeks into trying to get the TPMS to read I am wondering do they have a battery which will runs out so the TPMS need to be exchanged, is their a wireless devise that can read each wheel to see if the Bluetooth is transmitting or how can you tell if the TPMS are transmitting. But strange all four wheels not working - transmitting. Starting to believe its the software with the TPMS.

anyone see this or have idea of whets going on?

Wes

Old 11-28-2022, 10:28 PM
vinceGTS

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Most tires shops, some indy shops and the dealer have the tool to read the TPS monitors to determine of you have a dead monitor in one of the wheels.

When I swap my wheels sometimes, I need to drive, then stop and turn off the car. After a couple minutes, I start the car and drive and it seems to connect.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:50 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

I believe only a PIWIS (dealer) tester can measure the battery level of each sensor. They do last quite a few years. There were different versions of TMPS sensors, Porsche changed the sensors at some point I think around 2017 so make sure you have the right sensors as well if you bought used winter wheels.

If they are the right sensors I would try the above first...tire shop w/ their reset tool. Or buy your own reset tool on Amazon, with two cars swapping wheels maybe worth the investment.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:27 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

The TPMS senders in the wheels have batteries that eventually wear out. 6-7 years is about how long, but of course it varies. How old are yours? They have to be mounted from inside the wheels, so it’s most convenient to change them when you get new tires.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:18 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

You can read TPMS battery voltage with Durametric or a suitable scanner. The original Porsche sensors in my Cayman worked for 8 years

Quick Reply: Winter wheel - rims with TPMS not responding