Macan 2014-Current

Premium Octane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 07:59 PM
AaronGTS
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Premium Octane?

Can I get gas from different gas stations as long as it's always 91 Octane or higher? Or is it better to always go to the same gas station?
And should I ONLY go to big name stations like Mobile, Exxon and Sunoco or can I go to any no name station? Thank you in advance!
Old 11-18-2022, 08:03 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=AaronGTS;18471800]Can I get gas from different gas stations as long as it's always 91 Octane or higher? Or is it better to always go to the same gas station?
And should I ONLY go to big name stations like Mobile, Exxon and Sunoco or can I go to any no name station? Thank you in advance![/

You should fill your Macan with race gas just like all the other stay at home Beta’s.
The following users liked this post:
AaronGTS (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 08:35 PM
jobunaga
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronGTS
Can I get gas from different gas stations as long as it's always 91 Octane or higher? Or is it better to always go to the same gas station?
And should I ONLY go to big name stations like Mobile, Exxon and Sunoco or can I go to any no name station? Thank you in advance!
All jokes aside, there is no measurable difference between top tier brands of gasoline. 91 octane at Chevron is going to be just as good as 91 octane at Shell. Everybody is going to have a favorite, but there is no data substantiated basis.
AaronGTS (11-20-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:53 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

All gasoline come from the same refinery per region. My old man owned a gas station many moons ago and changed brands three times during his ownership, all major brands. The same trucking company delivered fuel and often times, same drivers. Major brands add their own so called additive and advertise as “top tier”. Even Costco and Arco are “top tier”. In regards to octane, if the manufacturer calls for premium then use premium and if not, save your money. Higher octane does not equate to better quality. Higher octane fuel can stand up to higher compression before detonation. Most modern turbo engines are high compression as well as those found on high performance/super cars. I personally get gas at high traffic stations for obvious reasons.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
16PanaHybrid (12-10-2022), AaronGTS (11-20-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:55 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 563 Posts

My understanding is that stations buy their gas from various sources based on price. It may come from different refiners, but as Jobunaga said, it's pretty much the same as far as your vehicle is concerned. All have to meet state requirements.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:48 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

I just mentioned this the other day: try to stick with the same gas station as well as the same grade of gasoline. Obviously, if you're out of the area and you get jammed up, try to stick with the same brand and octane. It minimizes a potential issue of bad gas or water and/or contaminants from shady gas stations....IMO.

We've been using Shell for years. And, as much as possible from the same Shell station.
jbx2 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 08:43 AM
Ganjulama
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time lurker first time poster.

What about Ethanol free gasoline? I know it makes a difference for small 2 stroke engines, but what about German automobiles? Does the EU have Ethanol in their fuel? I have Audi A6 Allroad but I've been thinking about a Macan at some point in the future.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:03 AM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 136 Posts

This question came up on the other Macan site. Some people take this **** too seriously! I don't mean you, some of the folks that replied in that thread need to get out more.

If your vehicle calls for 89, 91 or 93 octane fuel you should be using at minimum what they recommend and from where doesn't matter. In town I'll avoid the discount gas stations, generally I use Costco and on road trips I take whatever station is near by... the car runs just fine then too.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:40 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

I try to only go to Top Tier brands of fuel. Mixed opinions on whether this makes a difference. I have seen tests/articles that concluded Top Tier is better, and I have also seen tests/articles that conclude "gas is gas".

Here is an article put out by PCA about Top Tier fuel: https://www.pca.org/news/which-fuel-...-pca-tech-tips

Recently a locally owned chain of Shell stations (Top Tier) in my area sold off to Corporate and the guy retired (handsomely I'm sure), several locations basically the main gas stations in the area of about 250K people. They converted them all to Loaf & Jug, which is a corporate chain in the west. I contacted them and was told they buy whatever fuel gets them the best price, which sometimes could be a Top Tier source, and sometimes not,depending on the market price. I now drive out of my way to a Top Tier station a few miles away. Does it matter? Not sure but it makes me feel good LOL.

Always run Premium...91 or 93 depending on what is premium in your area. Here in Colorado premium is 91, we don't have 93.

Ethanol in a modern vehicle doesn't matter. The fuel systems and ECU tuning were designed for ethanol fuel, no real benefit to running ethanol-free.

Also here is a video on Top Tier fuel:

Last edited by Nickshu; 11-19-2022 at 10:46 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nickshu:
16PanaHybrid (12-10-2022), AaronGTS (11-20-2022), jbx2 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 12:41 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

I worked for a major gasoline distributor that operated a number of large gasoline tank farms on the east coast. They sourced gas from numerous suppliers (refineries and wholesalers) both domestic and overseas (i.e., gas is gas). Tank trucks from the various branded gas companies would fill up at these tank farms. What differentiated one brand from another was the brand specific additives package that each would add to the tank truck.
In the USA, all gasoline sold at retail is required to have a specific minimum of additives. My advice would be to buy "Top Tier" gasoline as these brands have voluntarily agreed to an improved level of additives.
As to ethanol, most autos manufactured recently will work just fine on gas containing up to 15% ethanol. BTW, ethanol will generally provide more power but lower mileage than straight gasoline.

Last edited by DBH; 11-19-2022 at 12:45 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by DBH:
AaronGTS (11-20-2022), dak911 (02-11-2023), jbx2 (11-20-2022), Nickshu (11-19-2022), rasetsu (11-19-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 11:14 AM
AaronGTS
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I try to only go to Top Tier brands of fuel. Mixed opinions on whether this makes a difference. I have seen tests/articles that concluded Top Tier is better, and I have also seen tests/articles that conclude "gas is gas".

Here is an article put out by PCA about Top Tier fuel: https://www.pca.org/news/which-fuel-...-pca-tech-tips

Recently a locally owned chain of Shell stations (Top Tier) in my area sold off to Corporate and the guy retired (handsomely I'm sure), several locations basically the main gas stations in the area of about 250K people. They converted them all to Loaf & Jug, which is a corporate chain in the west. I contacted them and was told they buy whatever fuel gets them the best price, which sometimes could be a Top Tier source, and sometimes not,depending on the market price. I now drive out of my way to a Top Tier station a few miles away. Does it matter? Not sure but it makes me feel good LOL.

Always run Premium...91 or 93 depending on what is premium in your area. Here in Colorado premium is 91, we don't have 93.

Ethanol in a modern vehicle doesn't matter. The fuel systems and ECU tuning were designed for ethanol fuel, no real benefit to running ethanol-free.

Also here is a video on Top Tier fuel:

https://youtu.be/OFLJQ8I4BiM
Great video! Short and to the point... I will ONLY be using TOP TIER stations. Now the big questions becomes MOBILE/EXXON or SHELL?

Last edited by AaronGTS; 11-20-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Nickshu (11-20-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 07:46 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

Great video! Short and to the point... I will ONLY be using TOP TIER stations. Now the big questions becomes MOBILE/EXXON or SHELL?
In my area it's Sinclair or Shell. A few of the 7-Elevens have Conoco which is also Top Tier.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:34 PM
okkin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So I take it the Macan calls for 91 Octane then? Will it be ok to use 89? Asking for a friend
Old 12-08-2022, 05:38 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Tell your ‘friend’, no. Don’t do that. 92 octane.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:06 PM
okkin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Tell your ‘friend’, no. Don’t do that. 92 octane.
names to be withheld ....Where SHE lives there is only 91. That will have to do...But just in case I said, if she puts in 89, I would think the computer would be smart enough to retard the timing for the turbo etc

Quick Reply: Premium Octane?