Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Should I go with the S or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022 | 05:27 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JChen
I would much rather choose a fully loaded Macan S than a somewhat optioned GTS with options not favorable to me.

Save that $15k, GTS no go.
What 15K ? A stripped GTS is 86,900 . Here is an S with GTS options (minus the exclusive ones) and Hp at 81,300. http://www.porsche-code.com/PPJGPTS2

To go in this deep and NOT get number 1 makes no sense . If you want to save money I am all in favor of a stripped down Base Macan . However an S is nothing more than high priced mediocrity . I would pass on it completely . I have passed on it completely for the last 8 years and 5 Macan's (2 GTS and 3 Turbo) .
Old 07-15-2022 | 05:48 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by yrralis1
What 15K ? A stripped GTS is 86,900 . Here is an S with GTS options (minus the exclusive ones) and Hp at 81,300. http://www.porsche-code.com/PPJGPTS2

To go in this deep and NOT get number 1 makes no sense . If you want to save money I am all in favor of a stripped down Base Macan . However an S is nothing more than high priced mediocrity . I would pass on it completely . I have passed on it completely for the last 8 years and 5 Macan's (2 GTS and 3 Turbo) .
A lot of people, myself included, are getting the S because we don't want/need the added GTS options. The only option I got on my S that is standard in the GTS is the sports exhaust, the other things like sport chrono, clear taillights, and air suspension I don't want. For those who want all those options, then yes the GTS might be a better choice for them, but paying more, even if only a few grand more, does not make sense when you are getting options you don't need.
The following 2 users liked this post by CapitalAL:
Dubber (07-18-2022), ShinChan (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022 | 07:29 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
A lot of people, myself included, are getting the S because we don't want/need the added GTS options. The only option I got on my S that is standard in the GTS is the sports exhaust, the other things like sport chrono, clear taillights, and air suspension I don't want. For those who want all those options, then yes the GTS might be a better choice for them, but paying more, even if only a few grand more, does not make sense when you are getting options you don't need.
Then why even bother and not get a Base Macan ? I am all in favor of really saving money rather than sitting in limbo . In fact a lean option Base car is the real value play . A typical S will be low 80's (vs mid 60's Base , Low 90's GTS) and at resale will cost about the same as a GTS . I have even seen people load up an S to end up costing MORE than a GTS (for less car) .

Lastly by denouncing the attributes of the better performance model (GTS) you basically have rejected Porsches biggest strength . Technology ,comfort and reliability one can get in a Lexus or similar . What he can't get in those competitors is the essence of what Porsche built its legacy on -performance . Granted "its just an SUV" but its linked to a heritage of motorsport . Those parts and styling that you reject are a taste of what made Porsche an automotive icon .
The following users liked this post:
911-140.6 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-15-2022 | 07:44 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Then why even bother and not get a Base Macan ? I am all in favor of really saving money rather than sitting in limbo . In fact a lean option Base car is the real value play . A typical S will be low 80's (vs mid 60's Base , Low 90's GTS) and at resale will cost about the same as a GTS . I have even seen people load up an S to end up costing MORE than a GTS (for less car) .

Lastly by denouncing the attributes of the better performance model (GTS) you basically have rejected Porsches biggest strength . Technology ,comfort and reliability one can get in a Lexus or similar . What he can't get in those competitors is the essence of what Porsche built its legacy on -performance . Granted "its just an SUV" but its linked to a heritage of motorsport . Those parts and styling that you reject are a taste of what made Porsche an automotive icon .
The whole reason I bought the S is because of the 2.9L engine and its driving dynamics. The base is not that engaging to drive. If I had a budget of mid $60's I would probably even look at a GLC 43 AMG.
Old 07-15-2022 | 08:37 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

The whole reason I bought the S is because of the 2.9L engine and its driving dynamics. The base is not that engaging to drive. If I had a budget of mid $60's I would probably even look at a GLC 43 AMG.
So you want performance but you dont want all of the performance ? Dont you think PASM, AS, summer tires , and chrono compliment the GTS along with the Hp, torque, ride height, and throttle map ? One roll, race on Nick Murray's videos (which BTW the GTS did win) is hardly a sample of the differences yet S owners are drooling all over the review . I dont even have a GTS . I still have my 2020 Turbo but would pick the GTS for all the reasons I stated above.
Old 07-15-2022 | 09:37 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

So you want performance but you dont want all of the performance ? Dont you think PASM, AS, summer tires , and chrono compliment the GTS along with the Hp, torque, ride height, and throttle map ? One roll, race on Nick Murray's videos (which BTW the GTS did win) is hardly a sample of the differences yet S owners are drooling all over the review . I dont even have a GTS . I still have my 2020 Turbo but would pick the GTS for all the reasons I stated above.
The S will give me 95% of the performance I want and I would rather use the extra money saved by getting the S and get options like premium plus, surround view, leather/deviated stitching package. The one time you really notice the performance difference on the GTS is once you get up to triple digit speeds and most people are not going to be driving at those speeds on a regular basis. Even if I were to get a GTS I would still spec it with the same options I wanted in my S and now you are looking at a price well into the $90k's
Clubspec330i (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 03:37 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

The S will give me 95% of the performance I want and I would rather use the extra money saved by getting the S and get options like premium plus, surround view, leather/deviated stitching package. The one time you really notice the performance difference on the GTS is once you get up to triple digit speeds and most people are not going to be driving at those speeds on a regular basis. Even if I were to get a GTS I would still spec it with the same options I wanted in my S and now you are looking at a price well into the $90k's
That is not true . One does not have to drive over 100 to see the differences . How long have you been driving a Macan ? Have you followed the car since the launch in 2014 (as a 15 car) ?
Old 07-16-2022 | 04:03 AM
dougeefresh
AutoX

Wow, it's refreshing to see such different perspectives on this topic. I asked almost exactly the same question in the 'other' Macan forum and most of the replies were that Macan GTS is the only way to go and it's sooooo much better than S, no comparison, would never buy S, only GTS!!! The way some members pushed GTS it was almost like a cult lol

Anyway, I'm also in the same boat where I have an allocation for a 23 S and was looking into a 23 GTS. I have options that I like, which don't come with a GTS as standard like surround view, and after adding them in, and GTS had some standard features that I didn't didn't. The price difference was about 14K so very similar to yours. The only difference is that a GTS allocation is like a year away. After much research I decided to just go with an S (even if a GTS allocation was available) because as many have already said in this thread, I won't be able to take advantage of the performance delta between GTS and S in my day-to-day driving (no tracking or canyon carving), and I hate to spend $14K on some features that "come standard" with GTS but that I won't need or use. If you have money to burn, however, go nuts with GTS. It certain is 'better' but it's not $14K better to me. IMO, it will be hard to tell that there is a significant difference between S and GTS in 90% of day-to-day driving. Of course, I will never know unless drive them both back to back. I plan to add an ECU programming when it comes out for 23 and that will get the power level to a stock GTS or maybe even a bit higher.

ShinChan (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 04:30 AM
dougeefresh
AutoX

Not everyone will want or need the performance that comes with a GTS. Some buyers will be perfectly happy with what comes in S plus some optional add-ons to enhance the experience. No one is saying S is better than GTS in performance (yes, GTS won in the video, yay). Just different strokes for different folks. And, people who buy a non-top of the line car can also be a performance enthusiast . There is a reason why even the mighty Porsche offers several models with different specs prices.
Old 07-16-2022 | 04:55 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dougeefresh
Not everyone will want or need the performance that comes with a GTS. Some buyers will be perfectly happy with what comes in S plus some optional add-ons to enhance the experience. No one is saying S is better than GTS in performance (yes, GTS won in the video, yay). Just different strokes for different folks. And, people who buy a non-top of the line car can also be a performance enthusiast . There is a reason why even the mighty Porsche offers several models with different specs prices.
I have written many reviews on the Base Macan . All have been positive. . Here is one (of several) https://www.macanforum.com/threads/i...loaner.169357/

The thing I dont like about the S is that it isn't cheap . 80 grand is NOT cheap !!! Nothing is bundled. . Everything is an option . Its expemsive enough to almost be a GTS . Its like dropping out of school a month before a person would graduate . Its like quitting a marathon in the last mile . I cant deal with it !! Its where a person worked so hard to save and then waits 6 months to a year for a car to have a near miss in the end ., Even worse he goes to sell it a few years later and overall it cost the same .
Old 07-16-2022 | 09:08 AM
CapitalAL
Instructor

That is not true . One does not have to drive over 100 to see the differences . How long have you been driving a Macan ? Have you followed the car since the launch in 2014 (as a 15 car) ?
I just ordered mine last month so still waiting for its arrival.
Old 07-16-2022 | 11:08 AM
sctw
Advanced

Have a 20 S. If I had known the GTS would be released 4 months later would have waited for the GTS (was still new to Porsche). My spec was pretty close to a GTS I built in the config and would have included a few more options I wanted plus better engine/sound and higher resale value (78k vs. 82k). Still love my S but live and learn.

That being said with the 22/23 S and GTS they both use the same engine. S is just detuned. If was getting a 22/23, I'd probably get the S as the GTS is basically priced as a Turbo now.

Good video:

Last edited by sctw; 07-16-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2022 | 12:05 PM
ShinChan
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dougeefresh
Wow, it's refreshing to see such different perspectives on this topic. I asked almost exactly the same question in the 'other' Macan forum and most of the replies were that Macan GTS is the only way to go and it's sooooo much better than S, no comparison, would never buy S, only GTS!!! The way some members pushed GTS it was almost like a cult lol

Anyway, I'm also in the same boat where I have an allocation for a 23 S and was looking into a 23 GTS. I have options that I like, which don't come with a GTS as standard like surround view, and after adding them in, and GTS had some standard features that I didn't didn't. The price difference was about 14K so very similar to yours. The only difference is that a GTS allocation is like a year away. After much research I decided to just go with an S (even if a GTS allocation was available) because as many have already said in this thread, I won't be able to take advantage of the performance delta between GTS and S in my day-to-day driving (no tracking or canyon carving), and I hate to spend $14K on some features that "come standard" with GTS but that I won't need or use. If you have money to burn, however, go nuts with GTS. It certain is 'better' but it's not $14K better to me. IMO, it will be hard to tell that there is a significant difference between S and GTS in 90% of day-to-day driving. Of course, I will never know unless drive them both back to back. I plan to add an ECU programming when it comes out for 23 and that will get the power level to a stock GTS or maybe even a bit higher.

I can’t agree more with you! I’m not into air suspensions and bigger wheels that comes standard on the GTS. The most important reason I’m interested in it is the stiffer and lower suspensions. And I was very lucky to drive them back to back at my local dealer the day I post this thread. GTS is better and it actually doesn’t need to push that hard to tell it. Slightly better turning dynamics, the engine revs a bit easier and the PSE sounds blasting.
However, it is still an SUV. The Porsche magic on macan can’t break the physical laws. And I can’t justify a 14-15K price gap with a lot of options I don’t need.

I think if I can only have one do-everything car, and got the budget, I’ll go with the GTS. And to those who’s ordered it, don’t doubt your decision it is great choice. But if you have some other sports cars to play with and still want the best driving suv, Macan s just hit the sweetspot.
Clubspec330i (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 02:36 PM
Clubspec330i
Instructor

Completely agree with you.

I contemplated GTS for the longest time and told myself that I didn't want to regret purchasing the S. In the end, I don't need a performance-ist SUV as a daily vehicle. The delta for me was almost 20k.
However, if I didn't have other performance cars in the garage, I would have gotten a Macan GTS for sure.

Cheers,
ShinChan (07-16-2022)
Old 07-16-2022 | 02:48 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clubspec330i
Completely agree with you.

I contemplated GTS for the longest time and told myself that I didn't want to regret purchasing the S. In the end, I don't need a performance-ist SUV as a daily vehicle. The delta for me was almost 20k.
However, if I didn't have other performance cars in the garage, I would have gotten a Macan GTS for sure.

Cheers,
This is going to be my first Porsche and I am still in my early 20's so I have plenty of time to move up to higher end Porsche vehicles. I feel like the S is a good starting point while still getting the majority of what the GTS has to offer , especially in terms of the engine.
ShinChan (07-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Should I go with the S or GTS?