Macan 2014-Current

Should I go with the S or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 11:45 AM
ShinChan
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I go with the S or GTS?

Putting the order last December, I've been waiting for my Papaya Macan S for over 7 months. And the SA finally told me it is arriving in August. But now a new Miami Blue GTS just pop up in the stock of another local dealer, with a $1,5000 Canadian dollar gap compared with my Macan S. Since everyone's saying the GTS is so good and I've been waiting so long for the car, this really tosses me up.
My SA told me since my car is in production so I won't get my deposit back. Originally my idea is getting the sweet-spot Macan S and save the money for a real sports car. However, with such a hard time for orders and everything changing so fast I'm starting to realize maybe I won't get any other sports car in the next few years.
What's your suggestion? Are there some big differences while driving to justify the price tag?
Old 07-14-2022, 12:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

A lot of people ordered high spec S's because they could not get a GTS allocation. In that case the price of a GTS is about the same b/c of standard features with the GTS that are paid options on the S. I would say if the GTS is spec'd out they way you want and it's only $1500, go for it. (assuming you put an extra zero there by accident).
Old 07-14-2022, 12:58 PM
ShinChan
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nickshu
A lot of people ordered high spec S's because they could not get a GTS allocation. In that case the price of a GTS is about the same b/c of standard features with the GTS that are paid options on the S. I would say if the GTS is spaced out the way you want and it's only $1500, go for it. (assuming you put an extra zero there by accident).
Thanks for the reply! If it's only $1500 it would be a no-brainer I won't even bother posting here. But it's actually a $15,000 difference. Since it's a dealer order they put a LOT of useless (for me) things like race-tex roofline and fuel cap and puddle lights etc. I'll trade all those things into a Burmester if I could spec it myself. But since it is such a rare allocation...I'm not sure if I could swallow that
Old 07-14-2022, 01:04 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 600 Posts

according to Nick Murray , you will be wasting your money on a GTS
Old 07-14-2022, 01:06 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the macan gts is one of the best daily driver cars I've owned.

That being said, the 911 or "real sports car" is night and day.

for 15k save the money and save it for ceramic brakes when the time comes...
Old 07-14-2022, 01:13 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Honestly I don’t think it is worth it to get the GTS especially since you said some of the options on the GTS you don’t even need. The S is going to have 95% of the performance and driving dynamics of the GTS. The only time I would say go for the GTS is if it had options that you want that are not available on the S. It sounds like you custom built the S so it probably has everything you want and nothing you don’t. The S would definitely be my pick in this situation.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (07-20-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:01 PM
ShinChan
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply! I watched his latest video just now! Glad to know that I didn't miss that much if I don't go with the GTS.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:03 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 318 Posts

Let's see, GTS is $15k more and includes options you really don't want. Also, you lose the deposit (? $$ ?) on your existing S order, that you've spec'd to your liking. Unless you really, really, really like the GTS, I pass.
ShinChan (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:07 PM
ShinChan
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chong0
I think the macan gts is one of the best daily driver cars I've owned.

That being said, the 911 or "real sports car" is night and day.

for 15k save the money and save it for ceramic brakes when the time comes...
I've been dreaming about 911 for a long time! Thanks for your advice and I think I'll save the money for my 911 foundation!!
Old 07-14-2022, 02:12 PM
ShinChan
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
Honestly I don’t think it is worth it to get the GTS especially since you said some of the options on the GTS you don’t even need. The S is going to have 95% of the performance and driving dynamics of the GTS. The only time I would say go for the GTS is if it had options that you want that are not available on the S. It sounds like you custom built the S so it probably has everything you want and nothing you don’t. The S would definitely be my pick in this situation.
Personally, I don't need the air suspension and larger wheels for GTS. But the added-on "Sportiness" on GTS just keeps teasing me...If the S is 95% of the performance then I'll go with S! Thank you for bringing back my peace of mind!
Old 07-14-2022, 02:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by ShinChan
Thanks for the reply! If it's only $1500 it would be a no-brainer I won't even bother posting here. But it's actually a $15,000 difference. Since it's a dealer order they put a LOT of useless (for me) things like race-tex roofline and fuel cap and puddle lights etc. I'll trade all those things into a Burmester if I could spec it myself. But since it is such a rare allocation...I'm not sure if I could swallow that
In that case stick with your S order.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:48 PM
MidCoastMainer
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default S vs GTS - Nick Murray's Comments

Cobb Tuning has an ECU tune for the 2020 - 2021 GTS (same as '22 S) and 2020 - 2021 Turbo (same as '22 GTS). Their Dyno charts showing stock HP and Torque for both models are very similar.

Old 07-14-2022, 04:09 PM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed my S. There is plenty of speed to get you into trouble (I got mine up to 153mph once).

To me, the decision between a GTS and an S solely comes down to appearance. I don’t particularly like the clear taillights and black wheels. Sure, the GTS is faster, but I know my butt couldn’t tell the difference between the two.

Either way, I doubt you’ll be disappointed by whatever you get.
ShinChan (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm half amazed the discussion did not include color and seat variations.

You have two great options.

Get what you want, enjoy what you get!
ShinChan (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
according to Nick Murray , you will be wasting your money on a GTS
This is not true . He does one roll race and drives a car for 30 minutes and that's all it takes for a conclusion ? If one puts PSCB brakes , PSE , PASM and AS , window trim, RS wheels on an S the price delta is 6K . It wont even include all the GTS exclusive options . He also subparts 65 Hp, torque differences , ride height differences , and. less aggressive throttle map . The S is expensive and "almost" a GTS which is precisely why I have always rejected the S on all 5 Macan's I have owned .

Nick has always disliked the GTS . He has in the past called it the "medallion wearing" and "parts bin special" along with "marketing" yet he has never owned one or driven it daily . He went off on a rant years ago about alcantara and even made a video . In it he tries to compare it to a Mitsubishi Lancia . Maybe he cold compare the leather too on a cheaper car . He simply hates it which is fine but that bias is showing in his reviews . In his Macan video he questions Hp when Porsche takes so much care to be accurate . They test the car for months in all climates and conditions . He throws out the price of "20 percent" which is false . In fact I can build two Macan S cars that are 20 percent part if I load one with options .

The sad part is that the masses watch and buy into the misinformation . BTW he is not always wrong and I even like some of his videos . He is just wrong here with this .
The following 4 users liked this post by yrralis1:
911-140.6 (07-16-2022), Bill_76 (07-15-2022), manifold danger (07-20-2022), SB27 (07-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Should I go with the S or GTS?