Macan 2014-Current

Mr12Volt CarPlay/AA system for PCM3.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 06:28 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Mark!

I understand your point Roman, unfortunately I had my mr12volt sitting around for 3 months before finally installing a couple of weeks ago.

I generally don’t have issues with installs as I come from a trade background hence my only conclusion that I want to believe is my cable is dodgy!

I never imagined I’d be wanting a decent phone call experience in this car, but that’s because I didn’t plan to daily it and didn’t think twice about call quality when buying, but love the drive and I seem to be using it all the time, which necessitates good quality phone calls for work.

I agree, for those who are new to car tinkering it may be a bit fiddly.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:49 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny9999991
Thanks Mark!

I understand your point Roman, unfortunately I had my mr12volt sitting around for 3 months before finally installing a couple of weeks ago.

I generally don’t have issues with installs as I come from a trade background hence my only conclusion that I want to believe is my cable is dodgy!

I never imagined I’d be wanting a decent phone call experience in this car, but that’s because I didn’t plan to daily it and didn’t think twice about call quality when buying, but love the drive and I seem to be using it all the time, which necessitates good quality phone calls for work.

I agree, for those who are new to car tinkering it may be a bit fiddly.
"decent phone call experience"

All phone calls with mr12volt regardless of generation are routed to the pcm and use the factory mic. This "mic mod" is only to connect the mic used for siri/google commands.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

FREE INSTALL KIT AND CAR CHARGER WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 08-30-2023, 07:15 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roman ACS
"decent phone call experience"

All phone calls with mr12volt regardless of generation are routed to the pcm and use the factory mic. This "mic mod" is only to connect the mic used for siri/google commands.
Are you sure? As if I have my pcm Bluetooth off when i make a call or one comes in, if I don’t have the mr12volt mic plugged in no one can hear me.

The reason I’ve turned off my pcm Bluetooth is the call quality is better on mr 12 volt although it’s still not as clear as other systems, I seem to still have some distortion or fizz on the line with mr 12volt but the mr12mic is also terrible and ppl can barely hear me.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:51 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

The mic on the mr12volt will function for calls if your Bluetooth is off ***BUT*** the Bluetooth should be connected to mr12volt AND pcm at the same time. This is how the system was designed and how everyone uses it.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:30 AM
signde
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 156 Posts

i have carplay in four vehicles including my 1st gen macan and i do not let my phone connect to bluetooth in any of them. i prefer carplay to handle all my calls natively, it just requires access to a microphone.

i am glad to hear Mr12Volt is adding support for the integrated microphone.

i also tried the OEM mic hack and wasted a lot of time with no success. i am 99% certain i followed the santrix's directions exactly. with so many of us having an issue, it seems there is some unknown variable we are missing.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:40 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

I've use "Santrix" solution micro and it's very good but there is a particularity to connect wires

Last edited by Marcus13190; 08-31-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:58 AM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signde
i have carplay in four vehicles including my 1st gen macan and i do not let my phone connect to bluetooth in any of them. i prefer carplay to handle all my calls natively, it just requires access to a microphone.

i am glad to hear Mr12Volt is adding support for the integrated microphone.

i also tried the OEM mic hack and wasted a lot of time with no success. i am 99% certain i followed the santrix's directions exactly. with so many of us having an issue, it seems there is some unknown variable we are missing.
which microphone lead did you use?

im wondering if it has to be the one santrix and Marcus have used? I’ve ordered the exact one now so will report back once that arrives.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:34 AM
signde
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 156 Posts

which microphone lead did you use?

im wondering if it has to be the one santrix and Marcus have used? I’ve ordered the exact one now so will report back once that arrives.
i just picked a microphone i had in my spare wire drawer. i did test the mic first to make sure it worked and i did a continuity test on the lead later to see if maybe something went wrong with it. everything checked out.

i don't mind having the external mic on the steering column, so i stopped caring about resolving it.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:38 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi all,

just redound this thread, Roman was also a great help shipping a unit to me in Ireland.setup works great but two small niggles which may have been addressed since I fitted a good while back (sw update ?)

if I plug in my phone to centre console to charge I lose sound as it switches from carplay to Dock ,
also if I use the car and then my wife follows next drive it won’t auto recognise her phone even tho it’s in memory ??

cheers in advance

zagamuffin
Old 08-31-2023, 01:51 PM
markjon
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone had any trouble sending a text using Siri in Mr12Volts CarPlay unit? When I try Siri will get the correct recipient and then ask me what I want to say in the text. When I respond Siri will ask again the same question and then quit. Other than texts Siri works fine in all other instances. I have the Santirx mic mod installed and it works fine for me.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:31 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Ok so I’ve had another go today, I’ve run good quality speaker cable and soldered on to the factory connections, Siri commands work but the microphone audio quality has a constant drone in the background and the voice quality is terrible.

I’m obviously in and it’s good enough for Siri to pick up my voice but awful to use for calls, has anyone who’s done this mod actually checked their mic call quality or used voice notes/memos to test?

I even contemplated tapping in just before the microphone in the column but thought I don’t want to keep making splices or using t taps all along the line and given others have reported success I can only assume as Roman has said that the success is only in using hey siri commands and not for being able to make calls.

On a side note mr12volt hasn’t got back to a number of queries I’ve posted to them over a week ago, they were very responsive before I bought but after install they’re silent, which is a shame as it’s a decent product but just without any after care, I wonder if I run into issues later or the unit fails whether they’ll respond.

Old 08-31-2023, 04:09 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts

Ok so I’ve had another go today, I’ve run good quality speaker cable and soldered on to the factory connections, Siri commands work but the microphone audio quality has a constant drone in the background and the voice quality is terrible.

I’m obviously in and it’s good enough for Siri to pick up my voice but awful to use for calls, has anyone who’s done this mod actually checked their mic call quality or used voice notes/memos to test?

I even contemplated tapping in just before the microphone in the column but thought I don’t want to keep making splices or using t taps all along the line and given others have reported success I can only assume as Roman has said that the success is only in using hey siri commands and not for being able to make calls.

On a side note mr12volt hasn’t got back to a number of queries I’ve posted to them over a week ago, they were very responsive before I bought but after install they’re silent, which is a shame as it’s a decent product but just without any after care, I wonder if I run into issues later or the unit fails whether they’ll respond.
Are your settings right? Bluetooth aux off, pcm Bluetooth on? Etc.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:11 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Are your settings right? Bluetooth aux off, pcm Bluetooth on? Etc.
Im trying to use the oem mic to use calls through the mr12volt so pcm Bluetooth is off.

mic is good for calls on pcm Bluetooth but audio quality that I hear is poor on pcm Bluetooth and a bitbetter on mr12volt.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:34 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts

Im trying to use the oem mic to use calls through the mr12volt so pcm Bluetooth is off.

mic is good for calls on pcm Bluetooth but audio quality that I hear is poor on pcm Bluetooth and a bitbetter on mr12volt.
Turn your pcm Bluetooth on. So your pcm AND Mr12Volt are connected to your phone at the same time. From my understanding, Mr12volt will automatically switch to the pcm for calls. It's worth a try.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:26 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Turn your pcm Bluetooth on. So your pcm AND Mr12Volt are connected to your phone at the same time. From my understanding, Mr12volt will automatically switch to the pcm for calls. It's worth a try.
That’s correct, but I find my call quality on Bluetooth through the pcm to not be crisp and clear like other cars, someone explained it may be something to do with Bluetooth calls being routed through as a mono signal?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Mr12Volt CarPlay/AA system for PCM3.1