Macan 2014-Current

How To - Macan Mirror Tap for Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 03:20 PM
cucu
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Thanks. Blendmount makes good products. I have one of their mounts on my toy. I think I'll go with a suction mount or sun visor clip on the Macan.
So far the standard Uniden suction cups hold well. I put them as high as I could right up to the headliner. I do worry a bit but if it were to detach, the cable will probably hold it or slow it down. Eventually I will probably change to one of those taped mounts posted earlier.

The following users liked this post:
Nickshu (06-25-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 07:17 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cucu
So far the standard Uniden suction cups hold well. I put them as high as I could right up to the headliner. I do worry a bit but if it were to detach, the cable will probably hold it or slow it down. Eventually I will probably change to one of those taped mounts posted earlier.

I now see why you didn’t/couldn’t use a Blendmount for you radar detector. I’d use a Blendmount for the radar detector but I’m trying to keep it out of view since the parking lot at work is not in the best location.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:11 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks to this excellent write up, I installed mine today. It's literally a 5-10 minute job. For the wiretap cable, I saved some money and ordered
Amazon Amazon
It comes with 3 cables and I used the one with the thinnest plugs.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-27-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Nickshu (04-27-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 06:57 PM
e85sbm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice on the length of the mirror tap to buy? Looks like there are 10”, 12” and 15” options available.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:44 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Excellent write-up, very much appreciated.

Hardest step was pulling down that center console. Despite the pics, couldn't get the tabs to unlatch. And didn't have to take down rhe center mirror stalk.

i used the blendmount 15" cord. The thinnest connectors were slightly loose, the next size up was too big. Hopefully the ziptie keeps everything in place.

Nickshu (06-21-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 01:13 AM
YoshiV819
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a set if plastic trim tools going under the headliner and A pillar trim to the fuse box is a 5 minute job and far less risky than taking apart the upper console. You don't have to take anything apart, just gently pry and tuck the cord in. For the a pillar section open up the top and then go down the outside edge not the windshield edge.
The following 3 users liked this post by YoshiV819:
BigBob (10-25-2022), Noah Fect (11-04-2022), WillinEvergreen (11-20-2023)
Old 06-25-2022, 10:11 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0

Hardest step was pulling down that center console. Despite the pics, couldn't get the tabs to unlatch. And didn't have to take down rhe center mirror stalk.

i used the blendmount 15" cord. The thinnest connectors were slightly loose, the next size up was too big. Hopefully the ziptie keeps everything in place.
Nice! Looks great! Glad the writeup helped you.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:59 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Which fuse location are people using to power their detectors? Driver’s fuse box?
And which fuse tap works best?
TIA, appreciate!
Phil
Old 08-30-2022, 04:25 PM
GregsPcar
1st Gear

Default Thank you.

Found this post and am so glad I did. I installed the Blendmount tap. Note that you may have trouble with the “standard” tap leads, and should get the Blendmount version with the various sized connectors. (About $20 more.) Thanks again for taking the time. Blendmount should post your instructions because theirs are less than ideal.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:39 PM
sturmburo
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick—appreciate this great guide! I’ve got a question regarding the cover with the passenger airbag light; how much force would you estimate is necessary to pull it off? Did you simply pull straight down? In one of the first few photos I can see a tab on the inward side(s) of the cover—do they need to be pulled out slightly to release it?

Just wondering if I’m being too gentle or if I need to perhaps use a pry tool…

Thanks!
Matt
Old 10-21-2022, 11:05 AM
sturmburo
4th Gear

Mind if I ask where you routed the wire tap? I'm using the same (15"), off the vehicle-side wires and using the same mount—and the plug will not reach the V1!. Figures I put all the trim pieces back…
I am thinking perhaps I should order the 20" MTX wiretap.

Thank you for any assistance!
Old 10-21-2022, 11:25 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by sturmburo
Nick—appreciate this great guide! I’ve got a question regarding the cover with the passenger airbag light; how much force would you estimate is necessary to pull it off? Did you simply pull straight down? In one of the first few photos I can see a tab on the inward side(s) of the cover—do they need to be pulled out slightly to release it?

Just wondering if I’m being too gentle or if I need to perhaps use a pry tool…

Thanks!
Matt
I don't recall I used a nylon pry tool. It's the standard VAG trim clip retainers...it pulls straight down perpendicular to the windshield. You can see the 4 black metal retainer clips in my photos.

Originally Posted by sturmburo
Mind if I ask where you routed the wire tap? I'm using the same (15"), off the vehicle-side wires and using the same mount—and the plug will not reach the V1!. Figures I put all the trim pieces back…
I am thinking perhaps I should order the 20" MTX wiretap.

Thank you for any assistance!
I just ran it out the gap between the passenger airbag light cover and the roof light console. You can see that in my pics I think.
Yes the needed length will vary depending on your detector and where you mount. Yes they do make a longer one.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-21-2022 at 11:28 AM.
sturmburo (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 12:19 PM
sturmburo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I just ran it out the gap between the passenger airbag light cover and the roof light console. You can see that in my pics I think.
Yes the needed length will vary depending on your detector and where you mount. Yes they do make a longer one.
Thank you! I am new to the forum (obviously), and meant to specifically reply to the post with the Valentine1 pictured. It was clear how you had routed your wire tap! In any case, I’ve ordered the 20” MTX—I estimate the 15” is about an inch short of my needs, but the extra length will allow me to route it in a less conspicuous way. I appreciate you taking the time to respond Nick.
Nickshu (10-21-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 06:52 PM
Ang
2nd Gear

Default brown wire inside top light console

While perfectly install the radar, after placing this piece back. One side of the brown wire dropped and is hanging. Does anyone know where it belongs and what this wire actually is?? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:55 AM
Ang
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by chong0

did you see or had any issues with these wires while installing yours? thank you!

Quick Reply: How To - Macan Mirror Tap for Radar Detector