Macan 2014-Current

Clicking Sound from Steering Column on New 22 Macan

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 04:48 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Clicking Sound from Steering Column on New 22 Macan

Has anyone else noticed a clicking sound/feeling in the steering column of your new Macan? It seems to happen when I make a turn from a stop or if I pull back on the steering wheel while driving. It feels like there is something loose in the column itself. It's getting to the point of annoying and I'm ready to take the car into the dealership to see what they can figure out. I had a 2019 Macan previously and never experienced this.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:02 AM
Theatermax
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible clicking/popping in steering on brand new 2022 Macan Gts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Has anyone else noticed a clicking sound/feeling in the steering column of your new Macan? It seems to happen when I make a turn from a stop or if I pull back on the steering wheel while driving. It feels like there is something loose in the column itself. It's getting to the point of annoying and I'm ready to take the car into the dealership to see what they can figure out. I had a 2019 Macan previously and never experienced this.
Chris

I traded in my 2021 for the new 2022 Macan gts. My 21 was perfect and the 22 has Horrible clicking randomly in the steering wheel. It’s going on today for the second time to be looked at but last time I was there the head tech who is great figured let’s grab another Macan which was just a S and it did the same thing. It’s apparently in the motor system for the steering column lift and extend is seems and the gears just don’t settle it seems and causes this horrible pop / click randomly when pulling or just turning it randomly. It seemed to only do it for the first few minutes of driving but now I have 400 miles and it’s doing it randomly throughout the drive.

It’s nauseating and my passenger said to me last week what’s that noise coming from the car. Im really upset as porsche hasn’t really taken ownership of this issue. We need a group on here to gather as many people possible to make some noise. Apparently all 2022 with the electric steering column have this issue at some level.

i saw a memo on their system saying that all cars after February build will come with manual column controls which tells me they have a huge problem but I certainly don’t want to have them remove the column and put in a manual column and butcher the car. I also saw they were going to offer a 500 credit for the new ones without the electric column.

ugh.

let’s start a full thread on this !

Craig NJ
Old 04-07-2022, 11:04 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Theatermax
Chris

I traded in my 2021 for the new 2022 Macan gts. My 21 was perfect and the 22 has Horrible clicking randomly in the steering wheel. It’s going on today for the second time to be looked at but last time I was there the head tech who is great figured let’s grab another Macan which was just a S and it did the same thing. It’s apparently in the motor system for the steering column lift and extend is seems and the gears just don’t settle it seems and causes this horrible pop / click randomly when pulling or just turning it randomly. It seemed to only do it for the first few minutes of driving but now I have 400 miles and it’s doing it randomly throughout the drive.

It’s nauseating and my passenger said to me last week what’s that noise coming from the car. Im really upset as porsche hasn’t really taken ownership of this issue. We need a group on here to gather as many people possible to make some noise. Apparently all 2022 with the electric steering column have this issue at some level.

i saw a memo on their system saying that all cars after February build will come with manual column controls which tells me they have a huge problem but I certainly don’t want to have them remove the column and put in a manual column and butcher the car. I also saw they were going to offer a 500 credit for the new ones without the electric column.

ugh.

let’s start a full thread on this !

Craig NJ
Wow. Thanks for the info. I hope they figure out a fix soon. It's not the end of the world, but I worry it will get worse. I did notice that it's worse the more you have the steering column extended towards the driver. If I move the column all the way down it's less noticeable. I'm not sure why they changed the rack on the 22's in the first place.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:04 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

That makes me feel a little better about my yet-to-be born S which will come with the manual steering column. I realize that opinions are split between owners who don't care either way, those who prefer a simpler mechanical system and those who feel screwed by Porsche. I'm ambivalent. My 911 doesn't have any steering wheel adjustment and in the 20+ years I've had it I've managed just fine.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:30 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 540 Posts

mine is a 2022 Base , noticed that from day one, SA said it happens on all of them , supposedly easy fix . It does not bother me enough to take it in
and I am replacing it with a GTS soon
Old 04-07-2022, 01:44 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

This has me thinking that maybe the power steering column was removed because of this issue and nothing to do with supply shortage.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:08 AM
mmhaskar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened on my '22 S. Had to take it in to SA 2x for them to identify the issue. First time, they thought it was the clock spring and replaced it with no resolution. SA worked with Porsche to diagnose and identified it as a component of the of the steering column which required them to replace it. I have the power adjustable column. SA mentioned it's a recalled part and supply issues are delaying getting the replacement parts. I took delivery of this car in Dec., notified them of this issue in Dec. - clock spring got replaced in Feb/March as it took forever for that part to arrive. Finally got it fixed last week only to discover that the heated steering wheel no longer functions. It's going back next week to get that resolved.

So, when you pick up your car after they fix the steering column, make sure they confirm the heated steering wheel works before you take it home
Old 04-15-2022, 09:25 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmhaskar
This happened on my '22 S. Had to take it in to SA 2x for them to identify the issue. First time, they thought it was the clock spring and replaced it with no resolution. SA worked with Porsche to diagnose and identified it as a component of the of the steering column which required them to replace it. I have the power adjustable column. SA mentioned it's a recalled part and supply issues are delaying getting the replacement parts. I took delivery of this car in Dec., notified them of this issue in Dec. - clock spring got replaced in Feb/March as it took forever for that part to arrive. Finally got it fixed last week only to discover that the heated steering wheel no longer functions. It's going back next week to get that resolved.

So, when you pick up your car after they fix the steering column, make sure they confirm the heated steering wheel works before you take it home
Congrats and thanks for the information! I'm glad to hear there is a real fix that doesn't include switching to a manual steering column. Would you possibly be able to ask your SA what exactly was needed to fix the issue, so we all can share it with our SAs? It would save us all a lot of time and frustration, as I'm sure each dealership is going to trouble shoot this on their own.

Last edited by chriswd62; 04-15-2022 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:33 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,132 Likes on 677 Posts

I have a 22 base with electric column and no steering wheel clicking. Hope it stays that way.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:56 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
This has me thinking that maybe the power steering column was removed because of this issue and nothing to do with supply shortage.
Seems likely.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:11 PM
mmhaskar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Congrats and thanks for the information! I'm glad to hear there is a real fix that doesn't include switching to a manual steering column. Would you possibly be able to ask your SA what exactly was needed to fix the issue, so we all can share it with our SAs? It would save us all a lot of time and frustration, as I'm sure each dealership is going to trouble shoot this on their own.
Here's what was shown on my work order -- no clue if this is the consistent issue for all the clicking issues but solved it for me:
95B-419-506-AN STEERING COLUMN (N/C)
48155500 STEERING COLUMN CENTER REPLACED
Old 04-15-2022, 12:29 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmhaskar
Here's what was shown on my work order -- no clue if this is the consistent issue for all the clicking issues but solved it for me:
95B-419-506-AN STEERING COLUMN (N/C)
48155500 STEERING COLUMN CENTER REPLACED
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Clicking Sound from Steering Column on New 22 Macan