Macan 2014-Current

2022 Macan GTS Air suspension help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 09:48 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Wibs
The dealership is looking into, yet they think there’s more difference between the suspension set ups then just the program, I think they said the air bladders are different.
Wow, different parts too. Undoubtedly with SChain issues there will be some changes to all the options on these high production number vehicles. I don't think Porsche will ever be like Honda Motor Co (with just a couple trim levels) but certainly one less air suspension option...
Old 03-19-2022, 09:55 AM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Wow, different parts too. Undoubtedly with SChain issues there will be some changes to all the options on these high production number vehicles. I don't think Porsche will ever be like Honda Motor Co (with just a couple trim levels) but certainly one less air suspension option...
On the new GTS 911 you can get the suspension from the turbo S or Carrera 4S as a no cost option depending if you want more comfortable or sporty suspension. Porsche are the kings of options…
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (03-19-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 12:17 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

The dealership is looking into, yet they think there’s more difference between the suspension set ups then just the program, I think they said the air bladders are different.
Last time I researched this I found that the parts were all the same, but now I'm seeing that maybe the strut has a different part #? Very confusing. Please follow up and let us know if they find different part numbers. Looks like there are different part #s for GTS here: Porsche FRONT SUSPENSION. STRUTS & COMPONENTS. (porscheatlantaperimeterparts.com)

Last edited by ozziegt; 03-27-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:43 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Originally Posted by ozziegt
Last time I researched this I found that the parts were all the same, but now I'm seeing that maybe the strut has a different part #? Very confusing. Please follow up and let us know if they find different part numbers. Looks like there are different part #s for GTS here: Porsche FRONT SUSPENSION. STRUTS & COMPONENTS. (porscheatlantaperimeterparts.com)
I just sent a follow up email to the service manager regarding the difference; I will report back when I find out…👍

The description on the configurator does make it sound like a simple tune; yet Porsche does usually do more then simple changes with different models.
djevans99 (08-24-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:18 PM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

I just sent a follow up email to the service manager regarding the difference; I will report back when I find out…👍

The description on the configurator does make it sound like a simple tune; yet Porsche does usually do more then simple changes with different models.
My service manager asked if I can get a VIN from someone with a GTS with the GTS normal suspension to compare parts, he said it would make it way easier to see if there’s actually different parts. Anyone out there ok to PM me and share if they have one?
Old 04-01-2022, 12:12 AM
Harsany
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 2022 GTS. I too selected the air suspension option in the configuration (+10mm). You have to read the additional description of this zero cost option to fully understand what this is. (Porsche Description:For Macan GTS, removal of Standard Sport Air Suspension and GTS specific suspension tuning. Vehicle height in Normal Mode +10mm vs standard GTS Sport air suspension) Let me explain, In normal mode this option sets the suspension height 10mm higher. The suspension is programmed to this to allow for a more compliant ride in normal mode. When you select the low level the suspension lowers to the same height as the standard GTS suspension low setting. The programming is allowing for 10mm more between the normal setting and the low setting. The standard GTS suspension does not sit 10mm lower when low is selected. It only sits 10mm lower in normal. Since the option allows for a higher ride height in the normal setting a more compliant ride is achieved. That is the intention of this no cost option. Once the vehicle is lowered ride stiffness and handling characteristics are the same as the standard suspension. The picture below shows my GTS in the low level setting. I have compared it against another 2022 GTS with standard suspension and both are the same height in the low setting. A Porsche dealership can adjust the height of the air suspension on the Macan/Cayenne. I had my 2018 GTS lowered by my dealership, which stiffened the ride substantially as the air bladders when compressed naturally are stiffer. So an adjustment is available if you can’t live with the +10mm in normal. I do not know if this option contains different parts, but I would be surprised if Porsche created two suspensions for this model. My feeling is the hardware is the same and it’s programming of the air suspension. Personally I like the setting, you get more movement from the normal to low setting. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Harsany; 04-01-2022 at 01:10 AM.
GeXen (03-19-2023)
Old 04-01-2022, 02:04 AM
rkw723
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting, so when you go to low level, ur GTS actually drops 20mm to get to same low level as std GTS A/S which supposedly drops it only 10mm?

Contrary to some literature mentioning only a 10mm drop to low level, my 22 S actually drops 20mm from normal to low level. I measured 3/4" (20mm) drop and found out my owners manual (or good to know app) does mention 20mm drop.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:59 AM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Originally Posted by Harsany
I have a 2022 GTS. I too selected the air suspension option in the configuration (+10mm). You have to read the additional description of this zero cost option to fully understand what this is. (Porsche Description:For Macan GTS, removal of Standard Sport Air Suspension and GTS specific suspension tuning. Vehicle height in Normal Mode +10mm vs standard GTS Sport air suspension) Let me explain, In normal mode this option sets the suspension height 10mm higher. The suspension is programmed to this to allow for a more compliant ride in normal mode. When you select the low level the suspension lowers to the same height as the standard GTS suspension low setting. The programming is allowing for 10mm more between the normal setting and the low setting. The standard GTS suspension does not sit 10mm lower when low is selected. It only sits 10mm lower in normal. Since the option allows for a higher ride height in the normal setting a more compliant ride is achieved. That is the intention of this no cost option. Once the vehicle is lowered ride stiffness and handling characteristics are the same as the standard suspension. The picture below shows my GTS in the low level setting. I have compared it against another 2022 GTS with standard suspension and both are the same height in the low setting. A Porsche dealership can adjust the height of the air suspension on the Macan/Cayenne. I had my 2018 GTS lowered by my dealership, which stiffened the ride substantially as the air bladders when compressed naturally are stiffer. So an adjustment is available if you can’t live with the +10mm in normal. I do not know if this option contains different parts, but I would be surprised if Porsche created two suspensions for this model. My feeling is the hardware is the same and it’s programming of the air suspension. Personally I like the setting, you get more movement from the normal to low setting. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your insight, it is very much appreciated.

My vehicle boards it’s ship today heading home to Canada. Looking forward to my new daily
Old 04-01-2022, 08:19 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your insight, it is very much appreciated.

My vehicle boards it’s ship today heading home to Canada. Looking forward to my new daily
You are going to love your new machine. Another pic in low, it sits perfect in my opinion. Please let me know if find you find out anything regarding this option having different suspension components.

Last edited by Harsany; 04-01-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:00 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad to find this thread - I have a GTS order into dealer (since January) and the dealer has been waiting on next round of allocations which they are hoping the get shortly. Originally they thought May allocation, July build and late Aug.-Oct. delivery time frame. My plan is Euro delivery.

This week I found an incoming GTS at a dealer not to far away that is close to my specs. I called and they said it is at the port, so I could have it in week or two at most. So I decided to put a deposit down and take that car as an interim solution until the one I have ordered is ready as I still want to do the Euro delivery and trip in the car later this year.

The one coming in the next few weeks has the +10mm suspension setting option on it, not something I was planning on for my order. So it will be interesting to find out how it rides and handles in the +10mm mode and if that is something I want to change on my order for the GTS we will pick up at the factory. I drove a GTS last night with sport package (Python Green) at the dealer I have my car ordred from that they just got from Porsche - color is too loud for me, but loved how the car drives. Anyone interested that car is at Newport Beach Porsche and available with CPO immediately - has about 80 miles on it. It was used for training by Porsche for sales folks and tech's and now is being sold as CPO car, which is a bonus warranty at no extra cost!

Either way will be nice to get back into a nice daily driver as my F-350 truck is getting old for DD duties, even though I love it!

Last edited by supercup; 04-22-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 09:38 PM
rkw723
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like getting the +10mm option is the way to go. It's free, normal level is same as S level with AS, but low level setting drops it 20mm to match the low level of the std GTS AS. You should be happy either way if you like low level which IMO is just slightly firmer than normal level.
What's weird (I'm not complaining) is my 22 S with AS drops 20mm from normal to low level (most literature says only 10mm, but my owner's manual does mention 20mm). I had front alignment checked in both normal and low setting. Camber goes from -.7 to -1.0
Old 04-23-2022, 07:43 AM
TheStanman
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw723
sounds like getting the +10mm option is the way to go. It's free, normal level is same as S level with AS, but low level setting drops it 20mm to match the low level of the std GTS AS. You should be happy either way if you like low level which IMO is just slightly firmer than normal level.
​​​​​​Have we determined whether the parts are exactly the same? Sounds like that was still on open question.

Regardless, I think some GTS owners would prefer the improved handling and look in standard mode when not using Low mode.

Personally, I found the suspension tuning a bit more resolved and cohesive in standard ride height for city driving on my '18 GTS. "Low" more made the ride more stiff without necessarily improving body control. I found the adaptive dampers better for dialing in ride/handling balance than ride height. IME, "Low" mode biggest dynamic benefit was a lower CoG on smooth mountain roads.

Just my experience. Things may have changed vs 2018 model, and my use case was very rough urban roads.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:31 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 276 Posts

In regards to the 2022 GTS w/ the optional "air suspension", can you leave it on the lowest setting and the car will save that setting when you turn off the car?
My '21 with the air suspension saves my settings and is on the lowest settings all the time.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:13 AM
KM20Turbo
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
In regards to the 2022 GTS w/ the optional "air suspension", can you leave it on the lowest setting and the car will save that setting when you turn off the car?
My '21 with the air suspension saves my settings and is on the lowest settings all the time.
22 is the same. Put it in low setting and it stays there permanently until you change it.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:10 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by KM20Turbo
22 is the same. Put it in low setting and it stays there permanently until you change it.
thank you!

with the air suspension, the lowest setting in the GTS is the same height as without the air suspension?

Last edited by neurotic; 08-04-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2022 Macan GTS Air suspension help!