Macan 2014-Current

New member intro - ‘15 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022 | 12:45 AM
Mikesarge
6th Gear

Default New member intro - ‘15 turbo

Hey rennlist

I just bought a 2015 turbo with about 75k on the clock, and an extended exclusionary warranty good for another 4 or so years and 80k miles. Car has had entire PDK/xfer case replaced already, no leak up front yet. It’s a couple thousand miles away, but I got a PPI by a trustworthy shop and it got a solid thumbs up. Car should be here in about a week.

Nevertheless, I’m mostly a DIY-er type, so I imagine unless something major happens, I’ll probably tackle service and repairs myself.

Car background: 2015 turbo. Black/black. Premium Plus. LKA. No rear vent (lol). 14 way seats. No roof rails, which is a drag, but it was a deal I couldn’t turn down. Will be my first-ever automatic car, but the PDK seems nice.

My background: I’m coming off of nearly two decades of owning and building 2.7T 6-speed Audi wagons with K04 turbos. (01 S4 avant for 12-ish years, and an 04 allroad) Fun speed, but a terrible handling cars. I currently have a 1980 911SC (3.1, 9.5:1CR, 964 cams, little bit lighter, other stuff, fun) and a 1986 Vanagon Syncro EJ22 swap. I’m pretty active on thesamba and pelican forums, but apparently never registered here.

Before deciding on the Macan, I drove a couple Panameras, a Taycan, and a Macan S from Porsche. I also drove a couple Q5s, SQ5s, a new A6 allroad, a RAV4 Prime, a 4Runner, and some other boring appliance-y stuff that I won’t get into. I loved the panamera, but it felt a little bit too big. I was going to order an e-hybrid sport turismo. I still might, but I want to get to know the Macan first. I live in a city, so I didn’t want a big car. I like fishing, so I need something that can handle going off the shoulder of the highway, and over gravel/light two-tracks. The macan seemed like a car I could stand to drive for a couple years, take a depreciation hit on, and decide on a taycan cross, or a panamera e-hybrid, once the car market mellows out a bit. I never thought I’d buy an SUV, and for the moment I’m still angled back toward a wagon.

It doesn’t seem like there’s a huge amount of modifications done to newer Porsches generally, which is fine with me, but I plan to over time make small changes here and there. Maybe an access port and downpipes, down the line once this warranty expires. In the meantime, I’ll do the rear vent retrofit and add a trailer hitch so I can put a bike rack on the back, and maybe tow my raft occasionally.

Anyway, I’ll post some pictures when I get my car- just though I’d introduce myself since I am brand new on rennlist.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022 | 10:08 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Congrats, I have a 15 Turbo with 85k miles that I mostly work on myself as well. Yeah as far as mods go, these things are pretty fast already so with a Cobb and a good tune I personally don't see a need for any more power. Even stock it's pretty fast. I also installed lowering links, so mine sits about as low as a GTS. It's pretty much a tall hatchback at this point. But they are great just out of the box.
Mikesarge (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022 | 11:47 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Pics?
Old 02-19-2022 | 11:52 PM
Mikesarge
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Pics?
its on the truck ~2k miles away, but I’ll update this thread when I take delivery (hopefully by this time next week!)
MrMarco (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022 | 10:34 AM
Trapperj
Advanced

Congratulations on your Macan Turbo. We had one of the first 2015. We ordered and waited and then enjoyed for 7 years. The only issue ever was the PDK made a strange noise (sounded much like the doors locking mechanism) but the noise was obviously in the PDK. Without much drama at all, the PDK was replaced. Not one issue with anything for the next 75k.

We traded for a 2019 BMW M5C. It’s a great car,
but we now have a 2022 Macan GTS that will deliver in June. The Macan is a great daily SUV/sport car that once experienced, is a hard act to follow. Enjoy your Macan Turbo!!
Mikesarge (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022 | 10:49 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

I too have a 2015 Turbo. I have the invisible hitch on mine and it works very well. As stated with the Cobb off the shelf tune ( which can be further tune for your car) you will have all the power you want...I believe. Change out the stock air filters and if you want a little more top end grunt...get a better exhaust. One thing that is starting to become apparent is the pdk. The Macan's pdk is basically a dl501 from Audi. So you may be familiar with it? Anyway, factory recommendations is to change the fluid every 40k miles. I believe it may need changing a little more frequently. Also the Macan doesn't get you a way to monitor your transmission temperatures and if you are towing and going into mountains you may want to install a gauge to do that. My pdk failed while in the mountains and after learning a little more about it ..it seems that the mechatronics unit circuitry is the weak point. High temps and the corrosion of the fluid on the circuits/ sensors is basically what is happening. You have a warrenty so you are covered, but you sound like a guy who likes to figure stuff out so I am just sharing what I have learned. Enjoy !
The following 2 users liked this post by Olddragger:
Mikesarge (02-20-2022), MrMarco (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022 | 11:22 AM
ozziegt
Racer

In my experience the Cobb OTS tune isn't great when it comes to driveability. I got the Flat6 OTS tune and it's better but still some issues...I'm working with them on that to see what they say. Best bet is to get a custom tune, but they aren't cheap.
Old 02-20-2022 | 11:41 AM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default Turbo

I am very pleased with the BGB Motorsports Cobb custom 93 file in combo with Pedal Commander combo.
Old 02-21-2022 | 06:02 PM
R-M-C
Intermediate

I'm brand new on Rennlist as well and also have a 2015 Macan Turbo (along with a 2015 Cayman GTS). Anyway, if you don't mind the tire wear, take the Macan to a track It takes a bit of time to get your head around the mass movements, but it's a fair bit of fun and you learn that the limits are way higher than expected. Nothing is more fun than getting a great launch out of a corner and taking a few poorly driven 911s on the next straight. As they look way up out of the side window when you blow past them, the facial expression is priceless.
Mikesarge (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022 | 07:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Congrats Mikesarge.
Mine produces as many smiles as my other car. I had an SC for 30 years before going water cooled, so know how sweet they are, But I bet once you explore your Turbo, yours will too!

Last edited by chuckbdc; 02-21-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Mikesarge (02-21-2022)
Old 02-28-2022 | 09:03 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike !

It's Swordfish from QW.......Congrats on getting that Turbo and welcome to the Macan family ! Agree with the comment about a Flat6 Motosports tune . Also some lowering links to get it to GTS stance or lower and Bob's yer Uncle .

I'd probably also do a front transfer case fluid change ...though PNA extended the TC Warranty to 7 yrs on Macan's from original In-Service date, so hopefully your Turbo was sold and delivered in 2016 .

Cheers !,
​​​​​​​Mike
Mikesarge (02-28-2022)

Quick Reply: New member intro - ‘15 turbo