Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 01:01 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 301 Posts

I can highly recommend Battery Tender brand maintainers. I've used them for many years on BMW's, Volvo's and Porsches. I haven't had the opportunity of using the Battery Tender on my '22 Macan GTS as yet. I guess I'll have to experiment the best way to attach the unit...12-volt receptacle or alligator clips to the +/- posts. I've done both, successfully, in the past. I'd be interested if anyone has determined if the 12-volt receptacle on the center console remains "hot" after the ignition is turned off.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:42 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 843 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
I can highly recommend Battery Tender brand maintainers. I've used them for many years on BMW's, Volvo's and Porsches. I haven't had the opportunity of using the Battery Tender on my '22 Macan GTS as yet. I guess I'll have to experiment the best way to attach the unit...12-volt receptacle or alligator clips to the +/- posts. I've done both, successfully, in the past. I'd be interested if anyone has determined if the 12-volt receptacle on the center console remains "hot" after the ignition is turned off.
The center console 12v port remains hot only if you plug in the charger within a few seconds after you shut ACC off on the ignition. So long as something is consistently connected, it stays hot indefinitely. But if the charger loses power for a bit, the port goes back to sleep. This was how it was on the gen 1 Macans. Don't know if they've revised it on gen 2 to be like the 911 and Cayman/Boxsters where it stays hot all the time.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:37 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
The center console 12v port remains hot only if you plug in the charger within a few seconds after you shut ACC off on the ignition. So long as something is consistently connected, it stays hot indefinitely. But if the charger loses power for a bit, the port goes back to sleep. This was how it was on the gen 1 Macans. Don't know if they've revised it on gen 2 to be like the 911 and Cayman/Boxsters where it stays hot all the time.
If I understand this correctly if you leave town for an extended period with the maintainer hooked up through the center console 12v, any interruption in power will shut down the maintainer so you could be in for a surprise when you return home. Is that still true? I've always used the jump terminals under the hood.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:20 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If I understand this correctly if you leave town for an extended period with the maintainer hooked up through the center console 12v, any interruption in power will shut down the maintainer so you could be in for a surprise when you return home. Is that still true? I've always used the jump terminals under the hood.
That's true on gen 1 Macan. Not sure if it's been revised on the gen 2. If I'm gone for more than 2 weeks, I plug mine in a couple of days before hand so the battery gets topped off before I leave. One time there was a power outage in my neighborhood half way through my 3 week trip and the maintainer stopped. There wasn't any issues starting it when I got back though.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:43 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

BTW, model years '22 & '23 Macan's are considered gen 3.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:38 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DBH
BTW, model years '22 & '23 Macan's are considered gen 3.
I had to look this up and eh...we both may be wrong. https://carbuzz.com/cars/porsche/macan-generations
Old 05-18-2022, 08:48 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I had to look this up and eh...we both may be wrong. https://carbuzz.com/cars/porsche/macan-generations
OK...
Old 05-19-2022, 05:38 PM
schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I can confirm that:
  1. As long as there is power provided to the center console cigar lighter port, applied within a few minutes of shutting off the vehicle key, it will allow charging indefinitely.
  2. If power is interrupted to the charger for more than a couple of minutes, the center console port will time out and go inactive, after which the charger cannot resume charging when AC power is restored.
This is on a 2021 Macan GTS. No special dealer service department programming was required...worked that way out of the box, so to speak.

I use the center console port for routine during the week charging (I can see the charger lights to confirm it is working whenever I enter the garage). For longer term if I am going to be away from home, I will use the under-hood terminals. If you have the Porsche-branded CTEK with the permanently attached cigar lighter plug, they sell an adapter that you plug that into to adapt to alligator clips. Oh, and I put the Macan on the charger anytime it is in the garage, even just overnight. I've always done this and my batteries seem to last for many years.

Last edited by schnell; 05-19-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender