Macan 2014-Current

Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 10:30 PM
lazyace
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Battery Tender

I’ve got a ‘22 Macan that I bought new as a runner when my two ‘21 G63’s are in for service (every couple weeks lol). It is seldom driven so I ordered a Porsche battery tender from the dealer. Finally arrived today and I’m at a loss with where to plug it in. No instructions came with it, and there’s nothing of value in the vehicle manual. The sales guy thought there’s maybe a 12V receptacle in the passenger foot well, but I don’t see anything. For that matter I don’t see a receptacle anywhere.

I’ve seen older, generic threads on the subject, but nothing specific to this vehicle. Thus, I’m hoping someone here can help. TIA!
The following users liked this post:
dml (05-19-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:58 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Many, many threads on battery maintainers. I would suspect that any internal 12V receptacle will time out since that seems to be standard for later year Porsches. Your tender should have leads that connect directly to the battery terminals and route to a convenient place to plug in the tender. I'm sure someone with a Macan will comment.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:05 AM
CavallinoRed
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the smokers package you can get a plug and connect that way. As long as you have the correct plug, it should keep connected after you shut off your Macan.

if you don't have a smokers package, there should be a plug in the back you can connect the charger there. The direct options is if you pop the hood you will find a removable plate just in front of the driver's side wiper.

Last edited by CavallinoRed; 02-10-2022 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:55 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

The 12V cigarette receptor is in the little cubby hole just below the shifter. It is hidden under the rubber cover.

The best way to do it is to hard wire pig tail connectors to the battery when you can just plug it in. I assume the Porsche tender came with the connectors.

If you are confused on how to do it, am sure there are YouTube vids on the subject.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:01 PM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Buy extender

Same issue here - lighter times out, and can only be used in the Carrera. I bought this extender on Amazon - plug in the tender on one side, and then connect on the terminals under the hood.

CUZEC 12V/ 24V Extension Cord Plug Socket with Battery Clamp 4.9FT / 1.5m 16 AWG Battery Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter
BusDrrvr (10-04-2023)
Old 02-10-2022, 01:20 PM
wls1425
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery tender

I have a 2021 base and use the the Ctek tender. I plug it into the 12v receptacle below the shift lever. You should start the Macan for a few minutes first, shut it off, plug the tender into the 12v receptacle, then plug the “plug” end into an electrical outlet. I believe you have a few minutes from the time you turn the Macan off to plug it into the electrical outlet.

When you want to use your Macan unplug the electrical power first. Hope that helps.
rasetsu (05-17-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 01:38 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting topic. I am unfamiliar with a battery tender. I assume it tends to the battery during long periods of non-use? What exactly does it do! Some kind of trickle charge? Thx
Old 02-10-2022, 02:21 PM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

See post #4. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...v-outlets.html

Last edited by T3X4S; 02-10-2022 at 02:23 PM.
lazyace (02-11-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 04:48 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

there's an extensive discussion over in the macanforum.com all about charging & maintaining the battery. We're talking 1000+ posts!

using a search engine (like google) will also provide a wealth of information.

if a person is capable of joining and posting to a forum, then they surely have the ability to perform some level of basic research

I am continually amazed and disappointed at the low level of intellectual curiosity shown in these fora. These posters are like the giant plant in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, "Feed me!!!!"

Do I know how to use the CTEK with my Macan? You bet! Am I going to describe it here? Absolutely not.

lazyace indeed!!!

Old 02-10-2022, 07:38 PM
lazyace
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
there's an extensive discussion over in the macanforum.com all about charging & maintaining the battery. We're talking 1000+ posts!

using a search engine (like google) will also provide a wealth of information.

if a person is capable of joining and posting to a forum, then they surely have the ability to perform some level of basic research

I am continually amazed and disappointed at the low level of intellectual curiosity shown in these fora. These posters are like the giant plant in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, "Feed me!!!!"

Do I know how to use the CTEK with my Macan? You bet! Am I going to describe it here? Absolutely not.

lazyace indeed!!!
Laughing at the tool willing to waste his time creating an inane post…about another member making a post he doesn’t like. The definition of hypocrisy…from a reacher with nothing else to do in life

Anyway, as for laziness, I’ll leave it at you and I are not the same lol.

Again, this is a new vehicle with a couple hundred miles on the clock that will only be driven in rare circumstances in Winter months and maybe a few hundred miles a year.

I own many hypercars and supercars (including hybrids) stored at my homes, which see limited duty and remain on chargers the vast majority of the time. While never claiming to be the smartest person on the planet, I founded a global infrastructure & technology firm and employ thousands around the world. Thus, connecting the two ends of a trickle charger is certainly within my ability. The point of the post is that Porsche felt compelled to provide a supplement to the owners manual, recommending by part number, a trickle charger for infrequent use. Yet, neither the owners manual or dealer parts guy offer any instruction regarding use. In fact, the dealership stated a receptacle is located in the passenger foot well. That didn’t prove true.

Frankly, it shouldn’t require Google searches, forum inquiries, or YouTube sleuthing to trickle charge the battery. Notwithstanding the worthless post highlighted above, I appreciate those that provided responses of value and hope others can benefit as I have.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:03 PM
Gary S.
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used both Schumacher and NOCO maintainers on my '19 for the last 3 winters. I connect it under the hood,closing it and locking up the car. So far either works-have not burnt down the garage so far.....
Old 02-10-2022, 11:59 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

The Porsche tenders are just a rebadged CTEK MXS 5.0 model with a Porsche sticker on it. You can probably find instructions on the CTEK website. They are excellent battery tenders. I always hardwire mine to the battery terminals then use the included plug to connect/disconnect it. You can also use the alligator clips, or you can buy a cigarette lighter adapter from CTEK if you prefer that route (and have a cig lighter)

Last edited by Nickshu; 02-11-2022 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:41 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyace
Laughing at the tool willing to waste his time creating an inane post…about another member making a post he doesn’t like. The definition of hypocrisy…from a reacher with nothing else to do in life

Anyway, as for laziness, I’ll leave it at you and I are not the same lol.

Again, this is a new vehicle with a couple hundred miles on the clock that will only be driven in rare circumstances in Winter months and maybe a few hundred miles a year.

I own many hypercars and supercars (including hybrids) stored at my homes, which see limited duty and remain on chargers the vast majority of the time. While never claiming to be the smartest person on the planet, I founded a global infrastructure & technology firm and employ thousands around the world. Thus, connecting the two ends of a trickle charger is certainly within my ability. The point of the post is that Porsche felt compelled to provide a supplement to the owners manual, recommending by part number, a trickle charger for infrequent use. Yet, neither the owners manual or dealer parts guy offer any instruction regarding use. In fact, the dealership stated a receptacle is located in the passenger foot well. That didn’t prove true.

Frankly, it shouldn’t require Google searches, forum inquiries, or YouTube sleuthing to trickle charge the battery. Notwithstanding the worthless post highlighted above, I appreciate those that provided responses of value and hope others can benefit as I have.
agree. You were much kinder than I would have been! 🤪
lazyace (02-23-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 01:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

These guys sell all brands usually at good prices, and were very helpful on the phone in advising and offering connection alternatives and accessories- including the right plugs for power outlets in my 991 and Macan, and extension wires for my use:

<https://www.techbatterysolutions.com/noco-genius-gen2-battery-charger/>

I bought a CTEC 7200 and found it to be faster than an old Porsche branded CTEC that I dropped and broke.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:55 AM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

CTEK MXS 5.0 - Amazon $75 CTEK MXS 5.0 - Amazon $75

FYI, I noticed the price on the MXS 5.0 model dropped a bit.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender