Macan 2014-Current

Burnmester vs Bose

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 10:18 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake
I’ll take a moment to reiterate what I previously wrote - namely that the perceived sound quality should be determined while driving, not sitting in the showroom, and that the ambient noise from road surface, wind, and passengers will have an impact. The other human factor is the driver and how much attention he or she can or should be giving to the music (or podcast, etc) while driving. Want to get really picky? Try listening (or running a sound check) from several different locations within the car like moving the driver seat forward or back 4-6 inches. Relatively flat response is tough to achieve in a home listening room! Try to achieve it in a car (at least there aren’t many parallel surfaces).

To the OP - your ears, your choice. Just make it after listening with your source while on the road.
This is the only guy in the thread speaking with actual knowledge......thank you. Anyone who has designed a home theater knows what a pain in the *** it is to account for the materials, location, wall cavity, you name it. So many little stupid factors make such a HUGE difference in sound quality. You can put the most amazing system in the most sh*t room and it'll sound like ***. This is the same thing as a car while it's moving. Yes the burm is definitely better. But how much can you really notice it while driving? 10%? 15%?

I think there is more placebo effect going on here and everyone trying to justify paying 5k for it more than anything else......

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I have the Bose system in my 2018 Macan GTS. (And also in my 997 GTS.)
I intentionally specc'ed the VW5 -Thermally and Noise Insulating Privacy Glass option.
IMO, the ambient noise level in a moving vehicle is more relevant to one's audio experience than almost anything else.

A quality system produces music faithfully (accurately) and with dynamic range (which requires amp power and larger drivers for the loud passages and the capability of reproducing low volume nuances as well).
No one records quality music in an environment with stray ambient noise- but an ICE vehicle at speed is a cacophony of tire, road, wind, engine and exhaust noises. And what to we do to compensate? Crank it up.

I never want to be the annoying jackass with distorting sub-woofers waking the dead from a block away, or even playing quality music that is audible, with windows up, to adjacent cars at a stoplight or in bumper to bumper traffic. While underway, the ambient noise dominates the playback of any source with extended dynamic range.

A given system is only as good as the audio input source.
Ergo, if you listen to broadcast signals, MP3 or most conpressed audio- your system is severely compromised despite it's specs or price tag.

My choice, and I obsessed* over my Euro delivery build, was the Bose over the Burm.
It wasn't the cost, it was the futility of trying to create a superior audio experience in a moving vehicle.
No regrets with the Bose. None.

For a car stereo, the Bose is fine. It's not great, but it brings pleasure to my ears.
If one desires a true audiophile experience in a moving vehicle- slip on a pair of over-the-ear Bose
noise cancelling headphones.

Well said.....+100000000000. 2 people so far understand this simple concept for everyone else claiming to be audiophiles lol.
The following users liked this post:
beaverlake (02-12-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 03:33 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Geez dude, let it go, Yeah, you! If you can’t afford it and/or don’t want to spring for the Burm, then just settle for the BOSE. No need to justify your decision. This horse is dead.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
beaverlake (02-12-2022), griffinto (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 11:44 AM
griffinto
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have BOSE in my 2016 Macan S and just don't think it sounds good. I've never even heard the Burmester system in a Macan but opted for the upgrade along with the thermal glass.
I'm not an audiophile and log less than 100 miles a month in my current Macan but I have money burning a hole in my pocket to spend.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:21 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Geez dude, let it go, Yeah, you! If you can’t afford it and/or don’t want to spring for the Burm, then just settle for the BOSE. No need to justify your decision. This horse is dead.
The poor horse is caned on almost every RL thread, dude.
RIP to the deceased animal- but long live the free exchange of opinion masquerading as fact.
The following users liked this post:
beaverlake (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 01:52 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

The poor horse is caned on almost every RL thread, dude.
RIP to the deceased animal- but long live the free exchange of opinion masquerading as fact.
Well said. Having said that, the fact is Burm>BOSE just as 911TTS>GTS>S>Base, etc. etc. etc. There’s no masquerading opinion as fact in this case. The OP was asking whether the Burm was worth the extra $$ over the BOSE and that’s subjective. Many of us have owned cars equipped with Burm and BOSE, and I’m certain that none of us will opt for the BOSE over the Burm as long as the price difference isn’t a limiting factor. It’s always about the $…affordability and/or willingness to pay.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 02-12-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:56 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Well said back to you.

Porsche (and other marque) buyers routinely spend hefty premiums on sportier models/options that can/will never perform (on public roads) better than a lower cost sub-model or trim. Arguably, all that horsepower and suspension magic is really just dust in the wind. And so it is with audio system options. If a buyer wants to spend $ on capability that will never, ever be exploited to its full potential, more power to them.

Realistically, the cost/benefit analysis will never be quantified by the likes of us.
And I I steadfastly refuse to limit my arguments to a narrow subject as dictated by an OP.
What fun is that?
Let a discussion/debate/argument in a forum thread reach its natural conclusion.
No one gets hurt here by that- physically, at least.
Except the poor horse.

Paying big bucks for a premium audiophile sound system in a moving ICE vehicle is akin to mounting speakers on the handlebars of your Harley.
Yeah, you can do it.
But why would you?

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 02-14-2022 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:37 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Or spreading caviar on a hamburger bun.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:26 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Well said back to you.

Porsche (and other marque) buyers routinely spend hefty premiums on sportier models/options that can/will never perform (on public roads) better than a lower cost sub-model or trim. Arguably, all that horsepower and suspension magic is really just dust in the wind. And so it is with audio system options. If a buyer wants to spend $ on capability that will never, ever be exploited to its full potential, more power to them.

Realistically, the cost/benefit analysis will never be quantified by the likes of us.
And I I steadfastly refuse to limit my arguments to a narrow subject as dictated by an OP.
What fun is that?
Let a discussion/debate/argument in a forum thread reach its natural conclusion.
No one gets hurt here by that- physically, at least.
Except the poor horse.

Paying big bucks for a premium audiophile sound system in a moving ICE vehicle is akin to mounting speakers on the handlebars of your Harley.
Yeah, you can do it.
But why would you?
Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Or spreading caviar on a hamburger bun.
Why does a dog lick himself? Because he can! Many won't even exploit the power of the a base model 911, let alone a Macan. That sort of argument can be made on any car or item. Why not, then, everyone just drive a Prius and eat off of the $1 menu at Mickey Ds everyday? I max perform my R8 Performance every time I drive it while blasting my stereo. I did the same on my modded 991.2GTS blasting the B&O. With the engine, transmission, and road noise, the cabin of a vehicle needs a high fidelity stereo to improve the quality of sound, hence the argument for a better stereo. For me, I need and enjoy music everywhere so the B&O/upgraded system is a must. To each his own. Thank the good Lord that we live in this great nation. First world problems and debate.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 02-14-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Burnmester vs Bose