Macan 2014-Current

Motion sickness problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 01:14 AM
mzpasm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Motion sickness problem

Hi P-mates, I just purchased a CPO 2018 Macan S here in Los Angeles and it’s in excellent condition. The only thing is that I get motion sick after just a few minutes of driving it. I don’t have this problem when I drive my wife’s Audi Q5 or my former BMW X2. Never had this issue when driving any car. I do tend to get motion sick in boats but not when driving a car. I suspect it has to do with my sensitivity to the way the drive is due to the suspensions. I rule out any smells, which was my first hypothesis. Reading elsewhere I found similar posts about Air suspensions but mine has regular coil. Would harder suspensions, PASM or any other thing do? I can’t drive this car anymore and I really would like to.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:14 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Motion sickness is very variable. Son gets it riding as a passenger, yet not as a driver, and not flying his small plane.
When I flew a hang glider, a friend popped a motion sickness pill on the way up the mountain in his truck to launch.
I didn't get it crossing the English channel in some gale force. Had a Dover sole and half bottle of white. Yet got it one minute outside the Golden Gate bridge all the way 4 days to Ensenada on a 51' Baltic sail boat.
If it stays bad, try a friend's Macan with AS. Hate to see you have to sell your Macan.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,562 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Oh man. Is the windshield of the Macan more curved than that of the other cars you have where you don't get motion sick. That happens to my daughter in certain rental cars.

The other thing could be the darkness of the side windows. If they're too clear your peripherals will see too much side motion so you'd get motion sick during the day, but not at night when it's dark out. If you can track it to happening dieing the day but not at night, you can tint the side windows to help.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:09 PM
mzpasm
AutoX

Thanks for these answers. Yes, Terry Adams, seems like trying another one could shed some light. I have a dealer appointment next week and I expect the loaner to be a Macan and hopefully I’ll see if it’s the same experience or not. Interesting thoughts Petza914. I didn’t think about this although I don’t see this as being likely since I had the same effect both day and night and even when all 4 windows are down (for air but peripheral vision is enhanced there). Funny thoughts I had when I read somewhere about sickness effects when the car vibrations match my metabolism, creating resonance. I don’t buy into this but who knows. Yes, I’d rather not sell it at a huge loss (dealer estimated like $18k loss all things considered)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:43 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Might want to go in for a physical, could be something else going on.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:18 PM
mzpasm
AutoX

I’m thankful that this hypothesis can be discounted since other family cars/SUVs I drive do not cause this effect.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:43 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Here is an option to consider - got get some motion sickness arm bands - these really work - put them on and drive - see if that addresses the issue - if so, put them on when you drive. $15 - problem addressed!

link:
Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by supercup:
CatVaux (05-08-2022), MrMarco (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:15 AM
mzpasm
AutoX

Thanks supercup.This sounds like an easy thing to try. I learned one thing today and that may change the whole thing, I don’t know. The car was parked and went in to use move it a little and make room for my wife’s car and felt sick. This may in fact be a smell related issue? Can’t be a two yard drive! The car is 2018 and thus there is no new car smell but potentially the leather or the stuff on top of the dashboard? Any idea, anyone? I do feel kind lacking fresh air and some sort of smell of old leather, you know like the one when it’s really hot and the interior material releases all those smells. I don’t have this problem with other cars that also have leather and similar material like the Audi Q5. I’m less convinced it’s the motion sickness now but more about the air/smell inside. Is there anything I can wipe the seats and dashboard with that could help?
Old 01-31-2022, 06:48 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mzpasm
Thanks supercup.This sounds like an easy thing to try. I learned one thing today and that may change the whole thing, I don’t know. The car was parked and went in to use move it a little and make room for my wife’s car and felt sick. This may in fact be a smell related issue? Can’t be a two yard drive! The car is 2018 and thus there is no new car smell but potentially the leather or the stuff on top of the dashboard? Any idea, anyone? I do feel kind lacking fresh air and some sort of smell of old leather, you know like the one when it’s really hot and the interior material releases all those smells. I don’t have this problem with other cars that also have leather and similar material like the Audi Q5. I’m less convinced it’s the motion sickness now but more about the air/smell inside. Is there anything I can wipe the seats and dashboard with that could help?
If it’s smell related, it would seem it would bother you whether the car was in motion or not. Have you tried simply sitting in the vehicle for a while with the engine off?

A long shot, but perhaps exhaust gases are making their way into the vehicle. I CO meter should rule this out.

You could also try driving with all of the windows open to see if that lessens the sickness.

Last edited by OliverK68; 01-31-2022 at 06:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OliverK68:
Noah Fect (01-31-2022), TikiLou (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 09:22 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
A long shot, but perhaps exhaust gases are making their way into the vehicle. I CO meter should rule this out.
Yeah, but even if that's the case, it wouldn't likely affect him after just sitting in the car for a minute to move it.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:52 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh wow that sucks. I am no medical expert, but worth seeing what might be causing this. As others have mentioned, it could be smell, noise (or the lack of it) or something else. My daughter got pretty car sick in our C63S but that was because it was pretty claustrophobic in the back and limited windows. Our Macan is much better and lighter (tan interior) which she loves. No sickness or anything.

Personally, I dont get motion sickness except in very specific situations - going around and around. Rollercoasters are great, just dont get on a loop - that gets me instantly! Its weird and never understood why.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:21 AM
mzpasm
AutoX

True Tikilou and thanks offagain. Interesting, would “lack of noise” be a source?

Today, I did this: I went in the car and stayed there without turning the engine for a few minutes (nothing but I may not have stayed long enough) then turned on the engine and stayed for a few minutes (nothing but I may not have stayed long enough; I even turned on the AC just in case). After that I took it for a spin in the neighborhood, like 5 mins. Seemingly OK but after I went back home, I started feeling moderately dizzy. If it was the way the car drives, would just 5mins do it? I can’t believe it’s the case. It’s a Porsche!!! I feel I may have a yet to be discovered sensitivity to something. This week, I have an appointment at the dealership where I expect a loaner. Can’t wait to try a loaner Macan and contrast the experience which I plan to share here. Mystery, mystery. In fact, it has become an obsession…

Thanks again all for the comments and answers.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:55 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

As pointed out above, you should schedule an appointment with your physician.

Evidently you did not test drive this Macan before buying it? caveat emptor and all that?

Note that above you stated *after* you went back home you felt moderately dizzy. Are you reading texts or your email while you're driving? I've seen people doing that!
I know of some people who cannot read in a moving car or they'll get motion sickness.

What happens if other people in your household drive the Macan? Does it make them sick? If it's just you, then the vehicle is not the source - it's you.

Get yourself checked out. You could have high blood pressure or some other issue(s)...

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2022, 07:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,562 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
As pointed out above, you should schedule an appointment with your physician.

Evidently you did not test drive this Macan before buying it? caveat emptor and all that?

Note that above you stated *after* you went back home you felt moderately dizzy. Are you reading texts or your email while you're driving? I've seen people doing that!
I know of some people who cannot read in a moving car or they'll get motion sickness.

What happens if other people in your household drive the Macan? Does it make them sick? If it's just you, then the vehicle is not the source - it's you.

Get yourself checked out. You could have high blood pressure or some other issue(s)...

Good luck!
Sound advice, but unlikely as high blood pressure or other health issues don't go away when he drives his other vehicles and this is only happening in his Macan, so it's something Macan related or unique about his specific Macan (mold issue), smell, window curvature, dash reflections, etc

.Driving another Macan like he's planning to do is a great test as that will tell him if it's model specific or vehicle specific and then he can start narrowing things down.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:54 PM
mzpasm
AutoX

Yes, Petza914. Only this one (thankfully though). I did test drive it before buying it of course and didn't notice anything but it was a short drive as usual. It will be what it will be and I plan to share my findings on this highly unusual situation.

Quick Reply: Motion sickness problem