Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Motion sickness problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 08:50 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 278 Posts

When's the last time the cabin air filter was changed? You could be breathing stale air from the previous owner. I can certainly understand that smell can repulse. My wife gets sick when she smells other ladies' perfume. When I sit in the right seat instructing at HPDE's, I have to warn students that, if they aren't smooth, I could barf in their car! On another note, you may well have a slight inner ear infection that affects equilibrium.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:44 AM
mzpasm
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A mechanic in town suggested I have the cabin filter looked at and it's on my list of asks for the dealer. Supposed to have gone through the whole CPO list but who knows?
Old 02-06-2022, 10:36 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mzpasm
A mechanic in town suggested I have the cabin filter looked at and it's on my list of asks for the dealer. Supposed to have gone through the whole CPO list but who knows?
Update? Hope you are doing better and were able to get this sorted out.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:52 AM
jimmyeb4k0
8th Gear

I agree that it could be related to an exhaust leak. I get motion sickness in a car ONLY when I read a book or use the computer while a passenger in a moving vehicle. I have had similar issues years ago where there was a missing gasket between the downpipe and catback of a modded Acura and felt symptoms similar to motion sickness even though I was the driver of the vehicle.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:27 PM
viri333
1st Gear

Ok, so I had to create an account just for this.

I’ve been driving a new (to me) 2020 Macan base for about a week now and I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. Dizziness, what I thought was motion sickness, etc. What eventually tipped me off was that just five minutes sitting in the car configuring the settings on the PCM with the engine off was inducing the same effect in me.

Long story short, I booked a thorough interior steam clean of the mats, fabrics, seats and surfaces and the problem went away immediately after, and the car now smells and feels new inside. I was jokingly suggesting to my wife that it needed a thorough exorcism and purge of any trace of the previous owner, but I now think that really is what did the trick.

Sharing for whatever it’s worth.

Last edited by viri333; 02-07-2022 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:14 PM
mbpa
Instructor

Originally Posted by mzpasm
Hi P-mates, I just purchased a CPO 2018 Macan S here in Los Angeles and it’s in excellent condition. The only thing is that I get motion sick after just a few minutes of driving it. I don’t have this problem when I drive my wife’s Audi Q5 or my former BMW X2. Never had this issue when driving any car. I do tend to get motion sick in boats but not when driving a car. I suspect it has to do with my sensitivity to the way the drive is due to the suspensions. I rule out any smells, which was my first hypothesis. Reading elsewhere I found similar posts about Air suspensions but mine has regular coil. Would harder suspensions, PASM or any other thing do? I can’t drive this car anymore and I really would like to.

Thanks for any tips.
I am curious if you discovered anything further. I encounter the same in my wife's 2021 Macan S. I had no problems in my old 993 or in my current Audi SQ7, Shelby GT350, and Ram 2500 tow vehicle (which is obviously way less stable at speed). I race cars (with very stiff suspensions) and generally don't have motion sickness, but as soon as I get into the Macan S and start driving it I feel noxious to be point were a few weeks ago I was fainting at highway speed. At the time I had a health scare, but since then noticed I can replicate it by just driving the Macan S for a short time.

I was thinking it might be the interior smell. How did you rule it out? My SQ7 has air suspension and my previous Q7 was on regular steel, so I don't think that's it.

Last edited by mbpa; 03-04-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:14 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mbpa
I am curious if you discovered anything further. I encounter the same in my wife's 2021 Macan S. I had no problems in my old 993 or in my current Audi SQ7, Shelby GT350, and Ram 2500 tow vehicle (which is obviously way less stable at speed). I race cars (with very stiff suspensions) and generally don't have motion sickness, but as soon as I get into the Macan S and start driving it I feel noxious to be point were a few weeks ago I was fainting at highway speed. At the time I had a health scare, but since then noticed I can replicate it by just driving the Macan S for a short time.

I was thinking it might be the interior smell. How did you rule it out? My SQ7 has air suspension and my previous Q7 was on regular steel, so I don't think that's it.
Eat more beans. If that doesn't cure it at least the car will go faster.
The following users liked this post:
PSEE (05-08-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:36 PM
waltersafety
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bouncy

Originally Posted by wwahl
Eat more beans. If that doesn't cure it at least the car will go faster.
I had a Cayenne base for 5 weeks while my Macan GTS with AS was in for timing cover leaks.
The Cayenne rode terrible and I got that feeling, I concluded it was neck movement on sport setting (fore and aft) and porpoiseing on comfort.
Never had any issues with the Macan and I track it .
I’ve had a warped windshield car and minor symptoms from that .
Could be a tire wobble too . Good luck .
Old 03-10-2022, 01:44 PM
A Nonce
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 68 Posts
Smile

I saw this post and I had to throw in my personal and anecdotal experience:

I have suffered from motion sickness very often both as a child and as an adult. Think throwing up from a 20-30m bumpy ride.

There was one thing that I randomly stumbled upon @ work that once I tried once and felt immediate improvement: VR.

I got the chance to try out early VR devices (like the HTC Vive) that gave me horrendous motion sickness. But because it had a peep hole near the nose I could convince my brain that "I'm just sitting in this room and what I am seeing is not really happening". By slowly doing this for 2-3m, getting motion sick, stopping and then trying again I have found that over time car motion sickness was gone and I could go for longer in VR w/o motion sickness. It only occurs now when doing intense VR sessions (iRacing for example).

Your mileage may vary!
Old 05-07-2022, 09:11 PM
Angeleno
2nd Gear

I am sorry you're having this problem, but it's good to know I'm now alone. I've had the same issue with my Macan since I first leased it two years ago. I love it for riding around town, but within a few minutes of driving it on the highway, I feel lightheaded and queasy. I've been driving for over 40 years and have owned and/or rented dozens of cars during that time, and never had a problem. To me, it seems to have something to do with the way the Macan sits up so high and doesn't hug the road the way I like. It "flutters" on the road at high speeds, rather than gripping it, especially at high speeds. The ride just doesn't feel solid and stable to me, and it's an absolute nightmare for me on curvy downgrades at high speed (e.g., going through the Grapevine on CA 5). Between that, and the bad positioning of the A/C vents, I'm probably going to go back to driving BMWs after my lease is up.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:14 AM
nevil
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Angeleno
I am sorry you're having this problem, but it's good to know I'm now alone. I've had the same issue with my Macan since I first leased it two years ago. I love it for riding around town, but within a few minutes of driving it on the highway, I feel lightheaded and queasy. I've been driving for over 40 years and have owned and/or rented dozens of cars during that time, and never had a problem. To me, it seems to have something to do with the way the Macan sits up so high and doesn't hug the road the way I like. It "flutters" on the road at high speeds, rather than gripping it, especially at high speeds. The ride just doesn't feel solid and stable to me, and it's an absolute nightmare for me on curvy downgrades at high speed (e.g., going through the Grapevine on CA 5). Between that, and the bad positioning of the A/C vents, I'm probably going to go back to driving BMWs after my lease is up.
This may be too obvious, but have you checked your tire pressures? It almost sounds like over inflation. Could also be an alignment issue.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:11 PM
Angeleno
2nd Gear

Good hypothesis, but the alignment and tire pressure are fine. It's just the way this particular model rides, generally. I noticed it the very first time I drove it on the highway on my way home from the dealer - and yes, my bad for not test driving it on anything but surface streets before signing the papers - and it's dogged me ever since. I was just invited to the Porsche Experience Center to test drive the new Macan and I'm tempted to go and see if other attendees have experienced anything similar.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Angeleno
Good hypothesis, but the alignment and tire pressure are fine. It's just the way this particular model rides, generally. I noticed it the very first time I drove it on the highway on my way home from the dealer - and yes, my bad for not test driving it on anything but surface streets before signing the papers - and it's dogged me ever since. I was just invited to the Porsche Experience Center to test drive the new Macan and I'm tempted to go and see if other attendees have experienced anything similar.
Sorry the car affects you this way but I'd have to believe if this were really a Macan issue, we'd be reading more about on RL and other forums. As others have suggested, a doctors visit is more appropriate than a visit to the Porsche service department. Hope you get well but more importantly find the root cause of the motion sickness, Does it occur at night? Maybe the pano glass roof is an issue.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:39 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Sorry the car affects you this way but I'd have to believe if this were really a Macan issue, we'd be reading more about on RL and other forums. As others have suggested, a doctors visit is more appropriate than a visit to the Porsche service department. Hope you get well but more importantly find the root cause of the motion sickness, Does it occur at night? Maybe the pano glass roof is an issue.

E X A C T L Y !!!

Old 05-09-2022, 02:15 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by A Nonce
I got the chance to try out early VR devices (like the HTC Vive) that gave me horrendous motion sickness. But because it had a peep hole near the nose I could convince my brain that "I'm just sitting in this room and what I am seeing is not really happening". By slowly doing this for 2-3m, getting motion sick, stopping and then trying again I have found that over time car motion sickness was gone and I could go for longer in VR w/o motion sickness. It only occurs now when doing intense VR sessions (iRacing for example).
Same here - I have the Oculus system (not latest generation, which is supposed to be better) and thought I could use it for sim racing. Wow, serious motion sickness. I took some recommendations on how to approach this. Just gently increase the session lengths and you can somewhat get used to it. I managed to get up to around 15 mins before it started to kick in, but there are others who just arent affected. Its weird. As a strategy for the real world though, this doesnt work.

Quick Reply: Motion sickness problem