Macan 2014-Current

Base vs S trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 09:05 AM
Coolwater
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
The rule of thumb, from what I gather, is "mod specific". For example, if you mod your suspension, then only the suspension related item warranty can be voided. I say "can" because the dealership has some discretion in the matter. You are correct....ECU tunes are a biggy but the dealership has some discretion to it as well. The problem is that when they hook up your ECU, I was told that all data is sent to the "mothership" automatically. These cars are solid so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've modded and tuned my previous 911 and others with no issues. I will probably mod my incoming GTS. You just have to be ready to pay to play.
kool this is pretty much on par with Audi. I’d also just get my service done at an independent shop. Unless Porsche offers prepay discounted service.

-cW
Old 05-10-2022, 03:11 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Great Thread thanks folks. I'm in the process of looking for another car. I'm looking at a base verses the S or and Audi SQ5. I've never owned an Audi so I'm not really sure about going that route. I feel more comfortable with Porsche even though they're both part of the same family. Question for the folks that own the Macan Sport Edition, is the Air Suspension STD or still an option? Which Year Macan Base should you stay away from? What year did the Sport Edition come available?
Old 05-10-2022, 10:28 AM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
Great Thread thanks folks. I'm in the process of looking for another car. I'm looking at a base verses the S or and Audi SQ5. I've never owned an Audi so I'm not really sure about going that route. I feel more comfortable with Porsche even though they're both part of the same family. Question for the folks that own the Macan Sport Edition, is the Air Suspension STD or still an option? Which Year Macan Base should you stay away from? What year did the Sport Edition come available?
Macan Sport Edition was 2018MY only. Air suspension was standard, as was sport exhaust and sport chrono. Take a look at the 2023 Macan T if the SE interested you.
The following users liked this post:
CAHRERA (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 06:12 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by wls1425
Some of us base owners don’t have “the need for speed” some of you have, but we do enjoy the handling and feeling of owning a quality vehicle like the Macan.

And we really appreciate those of you who remind us how bad our base Macan really is.
I think that you mean "acceleration", not "speed", because the base Macan can go every bit as fast as a Macan Turbo on any legal road (just doesn't accelerate as fast, but then how necessary is that, really?)... And the base Macan is as planted and stable at high speeds as the Turbo or GTS or S is... The base Macan is better in some respects because it's lighter than the S or Turbo or GTS, and also gets much better gas mileage as a result. And all the quality in the base Macan is identical to what you get in the upper trim levels costing up to twice as much... The base Macan is truly a good value. After almost buying an S, I changed last-minute and got a 2019 base Macan, and I've never for a second regretted doing so; if I had to do it over again, I'd still get another base (though I now will only buy cars with a plug, and sure do wish that there was a Macan E-Hybrid)...
Gh0st0 (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 08:01 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 749 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by rm4enjoyit
We are considering a newer base Macan but are concerned about the smaller engine relative to the V6. Pushing the in-line 4 cylinder too hard seems like a longevity issue; no replacement for displacement.

Any regrets, reliability or longevity issues with a newer base Macan?
Drive both, then decide which you like best (it isn't a given) and which is best for you. Don't worry about the longevity of the 2.0 at all -- I had a Q5 with the same 2.0t before the Macan Base that I bought new and drove 105k miles before trading it in on the Macan -- the Q5 still felt like new at 105k miles (both the chassis and the engine). When I bought the 2.0t Q5, I also test drove the Audi 6-cylinder version, and I found the 2.0t to be more responsive than the Audi 6 in normal driving (the 6 had a slightly smoother idle).

I wanted the Macan Base after the Q5 experience, so I didn't test drive the S when I bought it. I did drive an S later as a loaner -- I didn't tell my wife it was an S and she didn't notice when she drove it. The S will unquestionably show the Base it's taillights if you leave your foot in it, but in everyday driving the Base is very responsive (some say more responsive than the S).

If you love putting your foot in it all the time, the S is for you. If you do normal driving all the time, at a minimum you will like the Base and it's possible you will prefer it because it is very responsive and it weighs 194 lbs less than the S, so it's a bit lighter on it's feet as well.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:43 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

I'm leaning towards the Macan Base Sport Edition because of the Air Suspension and the better gas mileage to use as my DD instead of the Cayenne GTS. I have no plans on selling my Cayenne GTS so if I really want the HP I'll just drive that SUV.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:54 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm leaning towards the Macan Base Sport Edition because of the Air Suspension and the better gas mileage to use as my DD instead of the Cayenne GTS. I have no plans on selling my Cayenne GTS so if I really want the HP I'll just drive that SUV.
We have a 2018 Macan SE, loaded with air suspension. AS is an option, not standard. Best riding car I have owned in a long time. We have it three years and have gone only 17k miles. Near perfect service record. Rock solid. Drives great and is faster than most SUVs. 25mpg highway at higher speeds. Workmanship, paint quality and build quality as good as our sold Cayenne. If you can deal with the 4 cyl engine, you won't regret it.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:06 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

For the vast majority of people a base with a few options will be more than enough for daily driving. The 2 reasons why I am going with an S is I worry the base won’t be able to handle my triple digit high speed runs and the S has a better sounding exhaust.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:13 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSC48
Macan Sport Edition was 2018MY only. Air suspension was standard, as was sport exhaust and sport chrono. Take a look at the 2023 Macan T if the SE interested you.
Thanks! So I've been searching online and filtering to search 2018 Porsche Macan Sport Editions and 99% aren't real. I only found 1 true Macan Base Sport Edition with the complete options.I guess not many were sold do to the $13K option cost. You use that cost towards the purchase an S or GTS.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:18 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
We have a 2018 Macan SE, loaded with air suspension. AS is an option, not standard. Best riding car I have owned in a long time. We have it three years and have gone only 17k miles. Near perfect service record. Rock solid. Drives great and is faster than most SUVs. 25mpg highway at higher speeds. Workmanship, paint quality and build quality as good as our sold Cayenne. If you can deal with the 4 cyl engine, you won't regret it.
Did you purchase it new? So my last statement is that most of the SE I'm finding don't have AS I only found 1 that was fully optioned out with the AS, Sport Chrono, Sport and Sport Plus, 21" Spider mesh wheels etc
Old 05-11-2022, 10:57 AM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 230 Posts

Did you purchase it new? So my last statement is that most of the SE I'm finding don't have AS I only found 1 that was fully optioned out with the AS, Sport Chrono, Sport and Sport Plus, 21" Spider mesh wheels etc
I've found many of the third-party dealers inaccurately choose SE when it's not a SE. Porsche CPO site has them listed correctly. But yes, there are not many out there. There were more last year when they were coming off lease.
CAHRERA (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 08:55 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

That is exactly our car, in Agate Gray, Luxor Beige interior with the Spider wheels plus AS, SC and Sport Exhaust. Really lovely car. Keep looking, they are out there.
CAHRERA (05-16-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 01:45 PM
flygdchman
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Looking at a 2018 Base Macan. What kind of fuel mileage are people getting with the base Macans?
Old 05-21-2022, 03:33 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

20 ish mpg, this is from a 22 base
flygdchman (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 03:49 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by flygdchman
Looking at a 2018 Base Macan. What kind of fuel mileage are people getting with the base Macans?
The difference in fuel economy between the Base and S is very minimal maybe 1-2 MPG at best.
flygdchman (05-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Base vs S trim