Macan 2014-Current

Base vs S trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 12:20 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
If one is swapping one of Porsche’s excellent sports cars for a Macan (like I am), a base Macan would feel inadequate. So I selected the version that is somewhat easier to get an allocation for which is the S. I added all the performance options available and I am hoping it is not a dud. Hard to replace the drive feel of a 911 but I am hoping for a nice blend of comfort, performance and practicality.
Originally Posted by MrMarco
As a prior 911 owner the biggest gripe I have is the long braking times. I felt foolish for expecting this chunky SUV to stop on a dime but certainly wanted more than what I got. Everything else is there, this is one great little ride. Don't worry, you'll be happy.
As a former 911 (997.2) owner, I am pleasantly surprised how great the Macan S is in so many ways! I agree with the braking being a weak spot; with acceleration and handling the Macan feels quick, sporty, and light, best of any SUV I've driven, but the brakes feel like you're in a heavier SUV. Not bad, just not as good as the rest of the car. But I'm used to lighter cars, my other car is a S2000 that weighs ~2,700 lbs and stops fast.
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 09:32 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
As a former 911 (997.2) owner, I am pleasantly surprised how great the Macan S is in so many ways! I agree with the braking being a weak spot; with acceleration and handling the Macan feels quick, sporty, and light, best of any SUV I've driven, but the brakes feel like you're in a heavier SUV. Not bad, just not as good as the rest of the car. But I'm used to lighter cars, my other car is a S2000 that weighs ~2,700 lbs and stops fast.
It is great to get the perspective of a former 911 owner that too from the owner of my favorite 911, the 997.2. Not sure I would sell that if I owned one. I’m certainly looking forward to owning one multipurpose vehicle that can afford some fun on backroads yet be able to haul my bikes and be easy on my back and knees.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:24 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

Brings back fond memories of my 991.2 GTS. I had to let her go as I had to make room for my new toy. Some day, I hope to acquire a 992.x TT/TTS before the EV craze takes over completely.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:03 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Brings back fond memories of my 991.2 GTS. I had to let her go as I had to make room for my new toy. Some day, I hope to acquire a 992.x TT/TTS before the EV craze takes over completely.
Someday I hope to re-aquire the previous Porsche that I sold for my 911, a 981 Boxster S with a manual transmission. That was a big mistake.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:25 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

'18 Macan Sport Edition here, with the 2.0. This car is faster than my sold Grand Cherokee Hemi and my sold Cayenne Diesel. I really don't understand where the lack of power is, but granted, normal mode can be boring. I drive my 991.2 MT in sport mode, but rarely put the Macan in sport. Great car, good mileage and we it is capable of stupid high speeds, just not as stupid as the S or GTS. We were very happy to save the 8-10k over the S, with power we just don't need in our crowded corner of the NY/CT region. The ride with air suspension is fantastic and we've had no issues with the car in three years. Workmanship is as good, if not better than our Cayenne.
The following users liked this post:
Gh0st0 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 11:36 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

How do you like the smaller Macan vs your Cayenne Diesel ?
Old 01-29-2022, 10:55 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
How do you like the smaller Macan vs your Cayenne Diesel ?
They are very different cars. The Cayenne Diesel was brilliant on long trips, really wonderful on the highway. Range on a tank of diesel was usually over 700 miles. The Cayenne had somewhat more limited luggage capacity than other SUVs, but we always made it work. After the software/hardware update, our Diesel ran horribly, and the dealer made me a decent offer on the trade in and a great discount on the new Macan. We hated how the Cayenne ran post "fix".
Our situation has changed, kids are grown and we no longer do long road trips with the kids. The Macan with the 2.0 warms quickly, provides great punch in most situations, good gas mileage (not as good as the Diesel though), and is fun to drive. With the air suspension, it is actually more comfortable than the Cayenne, and long trips are very comfortable. Size wise, four or five people when needed, but I would not count on loading up many big suitcases. In three years, we've never been space limited, but our needs are modest. We are very happy with the Macan and frankly even happier to be rid of the diesel, which was complex and required an oil change every 5,000 miles.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:54 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC48
@BryanCO is that Papaya Metallic? If so, any more pics you can post in sunlight? Thanks.
Back from ppf and tint. It’s a bit dirty and in direct sunlight. Pics from my phone don’t show the metallic aspect well at all.

The following 5 users liked this post by BryanCO:
Chillywon (01-29-2022), DSC48 (02-04-2022), MrMarco (01-29-2022), PJ Cayenne (01-31-2022), T3X4S (02-04-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 02:38 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,926 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Base if you don't care about performance. It's very reliable. S is the best bang for the buck, especially if you get a new one.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:47 PM
LouieB
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2017 base Cayman with PDK. I recently purchased a CPO 2018 Macan. I feel that the Macan is almost as quick as the Cayman, but it has more room and is comfy! I honestly feel it has plenty of power, and I was a little worried about it before I drove it!
Old 02-04-2022, 06:49 PM
Gary S.
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It all depends what your used to. I have a 19 S. Only loaners I have ever had were base.You then notice not only the 2 missing pistons on the engine but the 2 missing pistons in each front caliper as well.I suppose if I had a GTS the S would seem like its missing something as well. Right now my S is tucked away in the garage while I'm driving my CD. When I get home in the spring I'm sure it will feel like a rocket ship.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:12 AM
Coolwater
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at a 2022 Macan. Is the Base model now more easier to mod. Comes with more TQ right? I’m coming from 2019 SQ5. Wondering if a 2022 with JB4 would get me similar power as SQ5. I’m thinking it should.

I love to mod cars. I have heard Porsche dealers are not mod friendly at all. I usually do wheels, intake, piggyback and suspension mods. I would want to be able to do these things and swap back to stock if needed. I’ve never had a problem with my Audis and mods like these with warranty.

PFA….

-cW
Old 02-13-2022, 05:36 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coolwater
Looking at a 2022 Macan. Is the Base model now more easier to mod. Comes with more TQ right? I’m coming from 2019 SQ5. Wondering if a 2022 with JB4 would get me similar power as SQ5. I’m thinking it should.

I love to mod cars. I have heard Porsche dealers are not mod friendly at all. I usually do wheels, intake, piggyback and suspension mods. I would want to be able to do these things and swap back to stock if needed. I’ve never had a problem with my Audis and mods like these with warranty.

PFA….

-cW
I've had/still have VAG cars in my garage with a Macan GTS on order being my latest VAG vehicle. VAG is not mod friendly and your piggyback will be detected if Audi looks hard enough, which will then generate a TD1 code. Having said that, a piggyback is the least detectable since you're not flashing the ECU. Porsche is not any different. Once they hook up your car to their "machine", everything gets transmitted to mothership. If you take your vehicle to a dealership, ask them not to scan your car. Unfortunately, you have to pay to play.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 02-13-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:28 PM
Coolwater
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I've had/still have VAG cars in my garage with a Macan GTS on order being my latest VAG vehicle. VAG is not mod friendly and your piggyback will be detected if Audi looks hard enough, which will then generate a TD1 code. Having said that, a piggyback is the least detectable since you're not flashing the ECU. Porsche is not any different. Once they hook up your car to their "machine", everything gets transmitted to mothership. If you take your vehicle to a dealership, ask them not to scan your car. Unfortunately, you have to pay to play.
What about wheels, suspension, intake, intercooler? All the Audi dealerships by me don’t really care about bolt ons and only ECU tunes are the big red flag. At a minimum would do wheels and suspension. Airmatic links if equipped with air ride…

also, is there an Audicare equivalent?

-cW

Last edited by Coolwater; 02-13-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:11 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coolwater
What about wheels, suspension, intake, intercooler? All the Audi dealerships by me don’t really care about bolt ons and only ECU tunes are the big red flag. At a minimum would do wheels and suspension. Airmatic links if equipped with air ride…

also, is there an Audicare equivalent?

-cW
The rule of thumb, from what I gather, is "mod specific". For example, if you mod your suspension, then only the suspension related item warranty can be voided. I say "can" because the dealership has some discretion in the matter. You are correct....ECU tunes are a biggy but the dealership has some discretion to it as well. The problem is that when they hook up your ECU, I was told that all data is sent to the "mothership" automatically. These cars are solid so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've modded and tuned my previous 911 and others with no issues. I will probably mod my incoming GTS. You just have to be ready to pay to play.

Quick Reply: Base vs S trim