Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cayenne vs Macan ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021 | 05:27 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

I don’t want to highjack the thread but search for “Otis Porsche Cayenne” to get an idea about how a Cayenne can be kitted out for serious overlanding and off-roading.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (12-28-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 09:44 PM
///Bruce
Pro

I have a new base Cayenne. BOAT.... Mine's an '18 Macan Turbo with AS. The rides are night and day. Reminds me of an oversized Honda Pilot. Sorry if this offends.
Old 04-27-2023 | 08:48 AM
356Fan3
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have one of each in the garage, a 2020 Macan S (wife's) and a '21 Cayenne GTS (my daily) and also a 992S

The Macan S is sportier, no question about it. I would track this compact SUV with a high degree of confidence, or attack a freeway ramp with prejudice with it. The Air Ride option is must have in my opinion. Power is excellent, brakes are really good. Ride is decent. You won't regret this - my only dislike is the console clutter with too many switches. It does feel somewhat Audi-ish as its shared platform with the Q5 would suggest. The PDK trans is sluggish on a cold start and a little balky until it warms up.

The Cayenne in the base trim is lacking, but when you upgrade to the GTS it becomes a different vehicle. V8 and upper trim levels are the way to go if in your budget. The ride is far better than the Macan and is probably the nicest trip vehicle we have ever owned. If you want to cover lots of ground in comfort and agility, this is your ride. It's about 800 lb heavier than the Macan S and you can feel the weight, however its also better insulated and higher grade interior, so considerably more plush and the dash is much nicer with less complications.

I'd not swap with my wife, nor she with me. So it all depends on what suits you. Really, you won't go wrong either way.
I’m 6 months into driving my 23 Cayenne GTS and also have a 992s. The Cayenne is very comfortable, nice V8; however, it feels a little big and I seldom have any other passengers in the car (I have an older large suv if I need space). I’m struggling if I should or what to replace it with as a daily. I’ve thought about a Macan GTS or late model turbo, or even a 991 or 991.2. I drive a lot of highway miles. Thanks in advance for input.
Old 04-27-2023 | 09:32 AM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

This is a good thread to bump. I’m interested in some more recent thoughts comparing these.
Old 04-27-2023 | 10:51 AM
Vise
Drifting

I'm not an SUV guy and the Cayenne does nothing for me. To me it just feels like any other large, numb SUV... engine + exhaust is nice in the GTS but not very dynamic. Haven't driven the Turbo GT but that is another level of crazy that I can of course appreciate.

IMO the Macan is a whole other thing... much more like a taller hot hatchback than a typical SUV. Especially in GTS form. Sure it is a bit tight in the backseat area but otherwise I can't think of another vehicle in this size + format that drives the way it does. Certainly more powerful/faster accelerating options out there but none have the total package.

I usually say just drive them and the difference is clear...
The following 4 users liked this post by Vise:
chassis (04-28-2023), dml (04-27-2023), MovingChicane (05-07-2023), TikiLou (05-09-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 09:38 PM
Jlappppp
Intermediate

Current garage setup.

Has anyone here experience with both the current Macan GTS and Cayenne GTS? I'm cross shopping the 2 now.
Looking to replace the X5 M50i, tons of power and fun to drive but even with the dynamic handling package you can't hide its weight, it's a big heavy pig. IDK if the Cayenne GTS drives/handles any better, but I do love having the V8 power, sound and torque.
I know the Macan GTS drives amazing, but will miss the unnecessary luxury of having soft close doors and heated/cooled cupholders, will really miss the heads up display if going with the Macan. (Also considering an X5M but I'm leaning towards Porsche)
igrip (01-05-2024)
Old 05-07-2023 | 10:16 PM
Dsandler
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jlappppp
Current garage setup.

Has anyone here experience with both the current Macan GTS and Cayenne GTS? I'm cross shopping the 2 now.
Looking to replace the X5 M50i, tons of power and fun to drive but even with the dynamic handling package you can't hide its weight, it's a big heavy pig. IDK if the Cayenne GTS drives/handles any better, but I do love having the V8 power, sound and torque.
I know the Macan GTS drives amazing, but will miss the unnecessary luxury of having soft close doors and heated/cooled cupholders, will really miss the heads up display if going with the Macan. (Also considering an X5M but I'm leaning towards Porsche)

I went from a 17 cayenne and macan Gts to a 2020 macan Gts and 21 x5m. I love them both equally
Jlappppp (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 05:10 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlappppp
Current garage setup.

If space or ride comfort mean anything to you, Cayenne is the answer. No one in the 9Y0 section complains about GTS handling or perception of weight.
Old 05-08-2023 | 06:47 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

This spammer has one helluva warehouse, I'll say that for him...
Jimmmy (05-08-2023)
Old 05-08-2023 | 07:00 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Why has (s)he not been banned yet??
Old 05-08-2023 | 09:49 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

I mean, where else am I supposed to get my sodium cyanide, calcium carbide, and MDMA? Fella could have a good bad weekend in Vegas jail with all of that stuff.
Old 05-09-2023 | 09:04 AM
nevil
Racer

Good to know. I'm almost out of Portland cement and the THC looks interesting.
Old 05-09-2023 | 03:36 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I mean, where else am I supposed to get my sodium cyanide, calcium carbide, and MDMA? Fella could have a good bad weekend in Vegas jail with all of that stuff.
Old 06-09-2023 | 12:48 AM
kyosha
Track Day

i have owned a 2020 Cayenne S coupe for the past 3 years and before that a 2016 Cayenne S. They have been faithful cars though axel deep snow and the great curves
and mountain passes that are over 11000 ft. without fail. Today I visited my SA and ordered a 2024 Macan GTS. The reason is simple, it is drives much closer to my
2020 911 Carrera, then the Cayenne. According to the SA Porsche intended the Macan to reflect the traits of 911 and not be smaller Cayenne.
The Cayenne is a great driver in the canyons with the rear wheel steering but I believe the Macan is more of a sport car.
Old 06-09-2023 | 11:55 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

I have a 2023 Macan and had a 2023 Cayenne loaner which I put about 400 miles on last week so the comparison is still fresh. The cayenne felt a little more planted in a straight line, both are adequate around corners and more equal than I would have thought. The base cayenne engine kills the base macan engine, the pdk kills the cayenne transmission but that’s hardly breaking news. My Macan is noticeably quieter probably because it has the sound proof glass and the cayenne mirror whistled occasionally. Ride comfort was about the same, front space is close too but huge advantage to the cayenne’s rear seats. If price weren’t a factor I’d go with the Cayenne, would prefer the pdk but in an suv not sure I care that much.
chassis (06-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs Macan ?