Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Cayenne vs Macan ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021 | 11:05 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So I took the opportunity to do some additional research on this topic today.

Went to our local Porsche dealership and drove a 2020 Macan S and a 2020 Cayenne S. The test drive 'loop' included a good mix of City streets with round abouts and a nice S curve access onto the local freeway with a couple of miles before exiting to take the City streets back to the dealership,

These vehicles were like night and day to me.

The Macan was more 'focused' from a road feel perspective. While both vehicles were responsive in acceleration and braking, the Cayenne struck me as trying to appeal to the Suburban/Expedition crowd based on the expansiveness of the interior (which feels huge in comparison to our 09 Cayenne and certainly the Macan).

The transmissions are quite different in the way that they up and down shifted with the Cayenne feeling more 'halted' during downshifts than the Macan's PDK.

While both vehicles are really good, it was the coziness (not to be confused with small) of the Macan that won us over. The Cayenne is clearly an SUV with a larger platform that really didn't win us over and really felt larger than it probably is.

FWIW - we also test drove an SQ5 which is on the same platform as the Macan S. There are a number of similarities between the two cars and a number of differences as well.

Also, spoke with the service manager at Porsche regarding the transfer case issues. Apparently these are considered a thing of the past and only are applicable to the pre 2019 models (something I didn't know).

YMMV
Old 12-22-2021 | 04:02 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
FWIW - we also test drove an SQ5 which is on the same platform as the Macan S. There are a number of similarities between the two cars and a number of differences as well.
What were your thoughts on that?
Old 12-22-2021 | 10:38 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
What were your thoughts on that?
The level of performance was so similar it was difficult to tip our hat to a clear winner here. Both accelerated, handled and stopped with what the butt dyno considered to be essentially the same efforts. The road noise was not a noted difference either.

The SQ5 has a base model that DELETES the panorama roof - which really appealed to me. I'm not a huge fan of a sunroof anyway. The SQ5 options are more lumped together in packages that make it easier to identify and group compared to the Macan.

The level of minutia in the interior details go to the Macan. While both interiors are nicely appointed and both come with sport seats - we both agreed that the Macan had the appearance more akin to that of a custom fitted suit vs an off the rack tailored suit...if that makes any sense. There are two dashes available in the SQ5 with one being the old style gauges and the other the newer digital screen. The appearance of the digital screen did not appeal to me and would not be on my shopping list. The layout of the infotainment screen in the SQ5 is more 'in your face' compared to the Macan. The overall dash appearance and layout of the Macan trumps the SQ5 IMHO.

The prices are about $15K apart for the SQ5 and the Macan S...and inventory for the SQ5 appears to be ahead of the Macan.

And of course, there is the difference in the brand appeal which translates to resale value. The Macan is one of, if not the highest ranked vehicles from a resale value perspective. They are extremely popular right now.

So, in the end, the SQ5 is a good vehicle and can match the Macan S in a number of performance areas. It just comes down to the slight edge of refinement, higher resale value, brand that all add up to a $15K premium if one chooses the Macan over the SQ5.

YMMV
Old 12-24-2021 | 06:55 PM
billt928
AutoX

I have both. And they are both enjoyable SUV. Each with its own personality

The 2016 Cayenne Turbo 958.2 with softronic tune is a true powerhouse. But on the other hand my 2018 Macan Turbo w/ power package and softronic tune is a true sleeper and will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel.

Both are great in there own ways and you have to really test drive them for yourself to really appreciate them and the differences
Old 12-24-2021 | 07:03 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

The SQ5 has a base model that DELETES the panorama roof - which really appealed to me. I'm not a huge fan of a sunroof anyway.
Not sure what you mean by this. All Macans and Cayennes in base form have no glass roof; the glass roof is an option (perhaps not in the top-trimmed models like GTS or Turbo -- not sure).

As for this thread, people have stated the main differences between Macan and Cayenne -- towing capabilitiy and additional rear-seat legroom and cargo space in Cayenne; more sporty driving dynamics in the Macan; different types of transmissions; Cayenne is closer to a truck (and more expensive), while the Macan is closer to a car. To me, the front of the Cayenne looks much better than the Macan, but the rear of the Macan looks much better than the Cayenne. My only reason for seriously considering a Cayenne is the E-Hybrid (I want to drive locally in all-electric mode but still have the ICE for long-distance trips); if Porsche made a Macan E-Hybrid, I'd get that in a heartbeat. The cargo space in my Macan is sometimes frustratingly small for long road trips, but the Cayenne honestly doesn't have a huge amount more cargo space than the Macan. The Macan is by far the more fun vehicle to drive (ignoring the electric driving of the E-Hybrid), and a better overall value.

Last edited by cometguy; 12-24-2021 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
T3X4S (12-25-2021)
Old 12-24-2021 | 09:29 PM
Dsandler
Advanced

Originally Posted by billt928
I have both. And they are both enjoyable SUV. Each with its own personality

The 2016 Cayenne Turbo 958.2 with softronic tune is a true powerhouse. But on the other hand my 2018 Macan Turbo w/ power package and softronic tune is a true sleeper and will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel.

Both are great in there own ways and you have to really test drive them for yourself to really appreciate them and the differences

I got my macan gts Cobb pro tuned. Massive upgrade. The cayenne gts will be getting a softronic tune in mid January. 2 great vehicles.

T3X4S (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021 | 11:44 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cometguy
Not sure what you mean by this. All Macans and Cayennes in base form have no glass roof; the glass roof is an option (perhaps not in the top-trimmed models like GTS or Turbo -- not sure).
Thanks for this.

I has assumed that since all of the Macan's I had viewed at the two local dealers had Pano roofs that this was a standard feature. Apparently, it is a standard order instead as I did look at the website and you're right, it is an option and the Macan can be ordered w/o the glass roof.
Old 12-25-2021 | 02:19 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

A bit of a story, so here goes. We likely would have kept our '14 Cayenne Diesel for 10 or 15 years had the emissions scandal not occurred. Ours was an outlier and ran horribly after the emissions update and we traded it for a 2018 Macan Sport Edition. The CD was probably the best long distance car I have ever owned. Range on a tank, comfort and shear speed was amazing. For a family of four, luggage space was ok, we always managed to fit our stuff for vacations, but even with the size of the Cayenne, it was always tight. Rear seat room was good.

Fast forward to the Macan- well, we are a different demographic now. Our children are grown and it's basically the Mrs and me. We've taken the Macan on long trips and can say that it is equally as comfortable (we have the air suspension) and cruises at light Autobahn speeds with ease, even with the 4-cyl engine. Hands down the Cayenne wins on highway fuel economy, but we barely drive 6,000 miles per year, so I could care less about that. The Macan gets about 22 mpg combined. The Cayenne was about 25mpg combined, with over 30 mpg highway.
The Macan is much more fun to drive, put it in sport and she moves out fine. It is faster than the Diesel in all modes, but nothing beat the Cayenne on long uphills on the interstate, you just wanted to go faster and faster and ride that torque wave. Hated the 5k oil change interval on the Diesel.
I do like the current Cayennes and with the new base engines, if I needed it, I would buy it. However, so far the Macan has met every hauling need. After almost three years, our Macan has been nearly flawless. The only issue was the driver's door detent required replacement- that is it! Workmanship and materials are as good as the Cayenne. Not one rattle or squeak. Love the steering and you don't feel the speed. The Macan is a solid choice, just make sure the size works for you.

MarkinMD (12-27-2021)
Old 12-26-2021 | 10:23 AM
johnp777777
3rd Gear

Deleted

Last edited by johnp777777; 12-26-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2021 | 01:05 PM
MrMarco
Pro

The SQ5 has a base model that DELETES the panorama roof...
YMMV
There was a Q5 police model, I'm not sure if this went into production, but they were pitching it 5 years ago.
Old 12-26-2021 | 06:06 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
. . . so far the Macan has met every hauling need. ... The Macan is a solid choice, just make sure the size works for you.
Yes, like you, the kids are gone and it's just the wife and me... We've done long cross-country trips in the Macan, and it's been plenty spacious, seriously. We've done weekend trips with three people and there's plenty of room for luggage then, too. My main issue has been that I'm a photographer, and I find that I have to limit more what equipment I can bring in the Macan in ways that I haven't had to consider for larger vehicles we've owned (SUVs, wagons), and having four people in a Macan for long trips becomes problematical with luggage. For two people on long road trips, a Macan is near-perfect in being a comfortable, enjoyable vehicle to drive and ride in as well as having decent cargo space. And I rarely long for more pep with our base Macan and relish the 28-mpg highway mileage that we get (much better than what one gets in the non-Hybrid V6 four-door Porsches -- though the E-Hybrids do get similar mileage on long road trips, around 28 mpg).
PJ Cayenne (12-26-2021)
Old 12-27-2021 | 10:09 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Own a 17 Macan Turbo PP and shopping for a used Cayenne.

Cayenne = SUV
Macan = 4-door 911 with light 4x4 capability

My Macan with Air Suspension and PASM carves through the twisties despite no PTV+. I wouldn’t hesitate to track it. The cabin feels intimate and 911esque. PDK is an outstanding and agile transmission. It does not feel like a 2 ton vehicle. And correspondingly, not very spacious in the rear seat or hatch.

I'm buying a Cayenne for the sole purpose of taking long road trips to national parks and doing off-road trails. I want added off-road capability and space. The transmission and suspension in the Cayenne are plenty capable for off-road tasks, much more so than the Macan and that too is what makes it less sporty, along with its larger size and weight.
Old 12-27-2021 | 12:54 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Own a 17 Macan Turbo PP and shopping for a used Cayenne.

Cayenne = SUV
Macan = 4-door 911 with light 4x4 capability

My Macan with Air Suspension and PASM carves through the twisties despite no PTV+. I wouldn’t hesitate to track it. The cabin feels intimate and 911esque. PDK is an outstanding and agile transmission. It does not feel like a 2 ton vehicle. And correspondingly, not very spacious in the rear seat or hatch.

I'm buying a Cayenne for the sole purpose of taking long road trips to national parks and doing off-road trails. I want added off-road capability and space. The transmission and suspension in the Cayenne are plenty capable for off-road tasks, much more so than the Macan and that too is what makes it less sporty, along with its larger size and weight.
I have driven in lots of national and state parks, national and state forests, and national monuments with my Macan, and it's superb for off-pavement roads (not the really tough, rutted, rocky roads, of course). True "off-roading", of course, means not on any road (i.e., going on roads that are unpaved, rocky, or just plain dirt/mud do not qualify as "off-road"); I have also done some true off-roading in my Macan (fields, beaches, etc.) and it's pretty good (ground clearance 8 inches with steel suspension, which is the same as the standard clearance in the Cayenne). The AWD system in my Macan is also excellent (stays always in AWD but with that rear-wheel bias unless conditions warrant otherwise). I have not been in many off-pavement circumstances in my Macan where I'd feel a Cayenne would be much better.
The following 2 users liked this post by cometguy:
beaverlake (12-28-2021), Wilder (05-25-2023)
Old 12-27-2021 | 02:46 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
I have one of each in the garage, a 2020 Macan S (wife's) and a '21 Cayenne GTS (my daily) and also a 992S

The Macan S is sportier, no question about it. I would track this compact SUV with a high degree of confidence, or attack a freeway ramp with prejudice with it. The Air Ride option is must have in my opinion. Power is excellent, brakes are really good. Ride is decent. You won't regret this - my only dislike is the console clutter with too many switches. It does feel somewhat Audi-ish as its shared platform with the Q5 would suggest. The PDK trans is sluggish on a cold start and a little balky until it warms up.

The Cayenne in the base trim is lacking, but when you upgrade to the GTS it becomes a different vehicle. V8 and upper trim levels are the way to go if in your budget. The ride is far better than the Macan and is probably the nicest trip vehicle we have ever owned. If you want to cover lots of ground in comfort and agility, this is your ride. It's about 800 lb heavier than the Macan S and you can feel the weight, however its also better insulated and higher grade interior, so considerably more plush and the dash is much nicer with less complications.

I'd not swap with my wife, nor she with me. So it all depends on what suits you. Really, you won't go wrong either way.
Agree! Also have one of each - the wife loves the Macan S (her 2nd one) and I love the Cayenne Turbo

The following 2 users liked this post by Tedder Bear:
drcollie (01-01-2022), igrip (01-05-2024)
Old 12-27-2021 | 07:50 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cometguy
I have driven in lots of national and state parks, national and state forests, and national monuments with my Macan, and it's superb for off-pavement roads (not the really tough, rutted, rocky roads, of course). True "off-roading", of course, means not on any road (i.e., going on roads that are unpaved, rocky, or just plain dirt/mud do not qualify as "off-road"); I have also done some true off-roading in my Macan (fields, beaches, etc.) and it's pretty good (ground clearance 8 inches with steel suspension, which is the same as the standard clearance in the Cayenne). The AWD system in my Macan is also excellent (stays always in AWD but with that rear-wheel bias unless conditions warrant otherwise). I have not been in many off-pavement circumstances in my Macan where I'd feel a Cayenne would be much better.
Thank you for your input. I've seen various videos showcasing the Macan's capability. I've driven my Macan on a very rough dirt road only by chance an no more than a 10 minute drive. I agree Macans are capable for light and even intermediate off-roading. In fact, overlanding, which is really what we're talking about, can be done with a 2WD. But I'm not sure the Macan can compete with a Jeep or a Land Rover for advanced off-roading while the Cayenne absolutely can. I'm considering a 957 GTS/Turbo/Turbo S and equipping it accordingly with a lift, tires etc. Alternatively, I stick to overlanding with the Macan which would be fun in and of itself and more about driving fast on twisty roads than overlanding. However, I'm not sure I want to take a highly optioned Turbo PP with 20k miles in mint condition on camping trips, which is another justification for the older and cheaper Cayenne I can be more carefree with.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs Macan ?