Macan 2014-Current

"Stiff" accelerator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:11 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts
Default "Stiff" accelerator?

We took delivery of our 2021 Macan Turbo last week. One of the first things I noticed was much more resistance to pressing the accelerator pedal than I am used to. Anyone else notice this on their Macan?

God bless you,
Tom
Old 12-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Slick Willy
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I notice exactly what you are talking about. Shifts come so early in around town driving...I wish it would rev out just a bit more and there was better modulation available in town. It would be nice if the downshifts came more quickly and with less throttle in around town driving

you just have to really put your foot in it.... but when you do it turns in to a rocket ship. Sport mode changes this. I have been on the lookout for a tune that would change throttle response and while there are a couple solutions.... I haven't come upon a consensus that that seems to have been used extensively and I don't want to be a guinea pig.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:48 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Thanks for your response, Slippery One. I have been pretty much exclusively driving it with the paddles, which takes care of the shift timing. I have also come to prefer Sport+ drive mode, with comfort suspension. But I notice the "stiff accelerator" in all modes. Agreed that if you put your foot in it it goes. Shame to be limited to 4k RPM for now.

God bless you,
Tom

Last edited by TomTarzian; 12-06-2021 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Slick Willy (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 05:30 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Ping your local Porsche SA and ask if he/she has been hearing from others in this regard. There might even be a TSA that addresses that issue.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:24 PM
Slick Willy
5th Gear

i feel like it is as designed...the GTS I test drove was same way. There are Pedal Commanders for the 3.0 that seem to have rave reviews.....2.9 tougher to find....not impossible, I just haven't found the "life changing" reviews like the ones for 3.0
Old 12-06-2021, 06:43 PM
///Bruce
Pro

The accelerator is a closed rheostat. That's all. If it's stiff, the assembly gets replaced. There is no fix via a box or s/w that will change that. If it's too stiff, take it back to the dealer and complain. Ask for another assembly under a manufactueres defect clause. And remember! Have it documented in their records and keep a hard copy for yourself! This is history; recorded history. So later if it gets worse, you have prior documentation that shows it happening before and now it's worse.
MrMarco (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Slick Willy
5th Gear

I hear what you are saying... but to me the situation we are talking about is more that in normal drive mode it just shifts super early and won't rev out unless you REALLY have your foot in it. Even at about 1/4 throttle it will just keep going through the gears by shifting at 3000-3500 ish (??)

coming from 3 series BMW and Audi S4 where throttle response would kind of "know" when I wanted it to rev out a little more - with much less throttle.

I don't think the actual force needed to press the throttle is anything out of whack - its just the response. Like I said sport mode takes it away. It may be intentional to keep me from going 60 when I should be going 35....lol

Now I have to go take it for rip -
Old 12-06-2021, 07:12 PM
///Bruce
Pro

If I were to guess it might be programmed that way to ensure best mpg. Im assuming if you nail it it scoots. A tune would alter that.
Terry Adams (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:17 PM
Slick Willy
5th Gear

That is probably it....makes perfect sense.

I shall continue my quest for throttle map tuning since I didn't buy my baby for its economy
Old 12-06-2021, 07:21 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Old 12-06-2021, 09:51 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Ping your local Porsche SA and ask if he/she has been hearing from others in this regard. There might even be a TSA that addresses that issue.
Good idea. I will do that.

The accelerator is a closed rheostat. That's all. If it's stiff, the assembly gets replaced. There is no fix via a box or s/w that will change that. If it's too stiff, take it back to the dealer and complain. Ask for another assembly under a manufactueres defect clause. And remember! Have it documented in their records and keep a hard copy for yourself! This is history; recorded history. So later if it gets worse, you have prior documentation that shows it happening before and now it's worse.
Another good idea. I will do that, too.

Originally Posted by Slick *****
I hear what you are saying... but to me the situation we are talking about is more that in normal drive mode it just shifts super early and won't rev out unless you REALLY have your foot in it. Even at about 1/4 throttle it will just keep going through the gears by shifting at 3000-3500 ish (??)

I don't think the actual force needed to press the throttle is anything out of whack - its just the response. Like I said sport mode takes it away.
I am almost exclusively using the paddle shifters so no issue with it shifting early on its own. In my case, it is the actual force to depress the accelerator pedal that seems excessive. This is independent of drive mode. Also, other than the suspension stiffness, I don't detect much difference between the three drive modes.

If I were to guess it might be programmed that way to ensure best mpg. Im assuming if you nail it it scoots. A tune would alter that.
It scoots plenty well if you nail it, Bruce! Put your foot down and it GOES...right now to only 4k RPM, sadly!

God bless you,
Tom
Old 12-06-2021, 11:09 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

... Oops, Wrong thread

Last edited by MrMarco; 12-06-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:01 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 213 Posts

There is no fix via a box or s/w that will change that.
Why do you say that? People who have gotten the Pedal Commander for the GTS & Turbo seem to be very happy with it and say it makes a huge difference.
mvmojo (12-08-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 02:05 AM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 213 Posts

I took my new GTS into the dealership about 2 weeks after I got it to have the Car Connect set up and I asked them to check to make sure everything was as it should be re: throttle response because of this exact issue. Supposedly the throttle map is completely linear. People who have bought the Pedal Commander and other similar products claim that it makes a HUGE difference. I haven't tried that myself, but I know exactly what you're talking about. The power is definitely there, but it's almost like the car is programmed to respond by saying "Well, I guess I'll go if you REALLY want me to..."
Old 12-07-2021, 09:29 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TikiLou
Why do you say that? People who have gotten the Pedal Commander for the GTS & Turbo seem to be very happy with it and say it makes a huge difference.
Pedal commander doesn't do anything but change the values and frequency of the input on the rheo. I'm sure the way they change it is a proprietary secret, but let's pretend that it's like the volume on your TV. If it moves up in steps of two from 0-100 (zero being no volume and 100 being maximum volume) the computer sees 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 etc. With a PC it may see 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, etc. Probably shaped more in a curve but you get the idea. Your simply going form zero to 100 faster, nothing about the car has changed.
if you want REAL change you need a tune. Sure $350 looks a lot more attractive than $2000 for a FS6 intake, tune and Cobb, but you could just PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN HARDER!
TikiLou (12-07-2021)

Quick Reply: "Stiff" accelerator?