Notices
Macan 2014-Current
View Poll Results: Have you personally experienced a PDK failure with your Macan
I have not had any PDK errors or issues at all
77.33%
I have had a PDK issue with a single Macan, but it was corrected without requiring a PDK replacement
4.67%
I have had a PDK failure on a single Macan that required the PDK to be replaced
7.33%
I have had more than one PDK failure on the same Macan that required PDK replacements
0.67%
I have had more than 1 PDK failure on more than one Macan that required replacement
0%
Because of the PDK and my concern with a failure, I will always have a warranty (OEM or aftermarket) on my Macan
6.00%
I'm not worried about the PDK in my Macan and won't continue to warranty it after the factory warranty expires
18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Macan Specific PDK Reliability Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 08:31 AM
CPG890
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faust T.
I'm with you on this one, my car has the exact same problem since Sep of this year, 12 Macan S with 62K on the clock,
except that my car doesn't give a fault code, but I have 96mo/100k extended warranty so I can wait a bit.
Sounds like you are very well protected with that warranty. I just spoke with a Porsche Master technician (in confidence) at a well respected shop around here, and after listening to me describe the symptoms, he advised me to get rid of the car immediately. He also indicated that if you are experiencing symptoms of component failures, take that as a blessing that it will just fail one day (and be a prohibitively costly repair compared to the residual value at that time) and unload the car before it does. He indicated some of us aren’t as lucky to get warning symptoms and the PDK just fails one day and then you are “left in the lurch”. I didn’t want to hear any of this— I love this car. Ugh. Anyhow, I have to accept this as the right thing to do for me, and be grateful that things aren’t worse. This whole thread has been quite the education for me. I deeply appreciate the discourse amongst everyone here as it gave me a lot to think about.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:38 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CPG890
Sounds like you are very well protected with that warranty. I just spoke with a Porsche Master technician (in confidence) at a well respected shop around here, and after listening to me describe the symptoms, he advised me to get rid of the car immediately. He also indicated that if you are experiencing symptoms of component failures, take that as a blessing that it will just fail one day (and be a prohibitively costly repair compared to the residual value at that time) and unload the car before it does. He indicated some of us aren’t as lucky to get warning symptoms and the PDK just fails one day and then you are “left in the lurch”. I didn’t want to hear any of this— I love this car. Ugh. Anyhow, I have to accept this as the right thing to do for me, and be grateful that things aren’t worse. This whole thread has been quite the education for me. I deeply appreciate the discourse amongst everyone here as it gave me a lot to think about.
Yes, that's the plan, if the PDK doesn't get replace I will definitely unload the car before the warranty expired,
hopefully the Macan EV will be out by then.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:49 PM
mlpete
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olddragger
A lot of good points on this thread. When surfing through the different Macan forums and through continued contact with the indies in the Atlanta ga area more and more people are experiencing transmission related problms. This is to be expected as the mileage and age increases on the first generation Macans. The good news is I have nor seen any gearbox problems, only the control side. The clutch also seems to be pretty good. All the problems seen that are repaired have to do with the mechatronic controls. The tcu itself seems to be pretty good too.
As time goes by indies are giving this advise in the interest of longitivity.
1- drive the car in sport mode and use the paddles frequently. This helps the transmission run cooler. The heat reduction is from less gear changes and the engine coolant being better cooled from the louvers being open. Don't believe the engine coolant temperature gauge in the cluster.
2- do not tow anything over a lawn mower trailer size with the stock setup. If you tow a big boat, camper, horse trailer etc install a additional transmission cooler and temperature gauge.
3- change the fluid more frequently if you do a lot of stop and go driving or have a driving environment that promotes transmission heat build up --- living in the mountains for example. This includes changing the internal filter, every other change. A lot of Audi guys ( basically the same transmission) change every 20K miles. Change the transfer case fluid when you change the transmission fluid. Also upgrade your fluid from what Porsche uses. Motul/ Redline comes to mind.
These suggestions will go a long way toward helping this transmission stay trouble free.
Hey, there - not sure if you still visit the forum since offloading your Macan, but I thought I'd try anyway. Is there an Atlanta shop that you'd recommend for this maintenance?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Macan Specific PDK Reliability Thread