Notices
Macan 2014-Current
View Poll Results: Have you personally experienced a PDK failure with your Macan
I have not had any PDK errors or issues at all
77.33%
I have had a PDK issue with a single Macan, but it was corrected without requiring a PDK replacement
4.67%
I have had a PDK failure on a single Macan that required the PDK to be replaced
7.33%
I have had more than one PDK failure on the same Macan that required PDK replacements
0.67%
I have had more than 1 PDK failure on more than one Macan that required replacement
0%
Because of the PDK and my concern with a failure, I will always have a warranty (OEM or aftermarket) on my Macan
6.00%
I'm not worried about the PDK in my Macan and won't continue to warranty it after the factory warranty expires
18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Macan Specific PDK Reliability Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 12:19 PM
hammergjh
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I'm confused. Is the Audi sourced "PDK" a Tiptronic or a true Dopple Koplung as described in the configurator and build sheet?

If a Tip, then ZF sourced, same as the Mercedes and bullet proof.
Found a couple of websites that confirm ZF is the manufacturer.

https://www.germanautocenter.com/blo...dk-technology/
The following users liked this post:
Terry Adams (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 12:38 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

The Macan "PDK" transmission is a tweeked DL501 ("S-Tronic"), designed by Audi and built by VW (Kassel), it is not a ZF. It is used in Audi B8 S4s, S5, RS5, S6, and S7.

The biggest difference between the Audi version and the Macan version is that the mechanical Torsen (Quattro) center differential is replaced with an electronically controlled transfer case (designed and built by Magna Automotive), which is bolted to the tail-end of the transmission housing. The DL501 has been around since about 2010, and has gone through many internal revisions to improve its durability....by 2018 they have almost gotten it right.....

Technical details of the DL501 can be found here:
Details about the Seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox 0B5/S tronic (DL501) (audizine.com)

More details can be found in the Audi Self Study Program 922903, see pages 20 thru 43.

The "PDK" transmissions used in all other Porsche models are designed and manufactured by ZF.

Last edited by VAGfan; 03-09-2022 at 01:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by VAGfan:
beaverlake (03-10-2022), peterp (09-05-2022), Zmonsta (05-31-2023)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:58 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Good post! I will like to add that the mechanical part of the transmission seems to be very reliable, but the control unit part which houses the mechatronic unit/ clutches seems to be weak point. All of the transmission failures for the Macan that I am aware off concerns the mechatronic unit. It seems over time or for some other unknown reason the electrical circuit boards/ solenoids become affected by the atf/heat and start to not operate correctly. There is a new tsb out concerning our transmission, referencing factory "gunk" that may be in the cooling system. Look it up!
Old 03-11-2022, 04:26 AM
DrKing
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Porsche both my 911 and my Macan have PDK.

According to random people my 911 has a ZF unit and my Macan has a VAG unit (with different parts and software).

Random people vs Porsche. I bet Random people claim that Porsche is wrong.

The fact is the PDK of 911/Macan is fantastic!
Old 03-11-2022, 08:57 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKing
According to Porsche both my 911 and my Macan have PDK.

According to random people my 911 has a ZF unit and my Macan has a VAG unit (with different parts and software).

Random people vs Porsche. I bet Random people claim that Porsche is wrong.

The fact is the PDK of 911/Macan is fantastic!

Old 03-11-2022, 09:43 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 191 Posts

The Facts:
The term "PDK" is a Porsche marketing word for a dual clutch automated gearbox. The Audi marketing word is "S-Tronic" for a dual clutch automated gearbox. The VW marketing word is "DSG" for a dual clutch automated gearbox.
"Tiptronic" is the Audi marketing word for an electronically controlled automatic transmission (typically a conventional torque-converter type) with manual gear change controls (shift up/shift down).

Porsche calls all dual clutch automated gearboxes "PDK", no matter who in the VW/Porsche/Audi group (or outside supplier like ZF) designed it or manufactured it.

Many Macan owners seem upset that the Macan shares many parts, and design features, with the Audi B8 Q5 (and the A4, S4, A5, S5).....If the Macan were "pure" Porsche design, it would cost $40K more.......

Last edited by VAGfan; 03-11-2022 at 09:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VAGfan:
Der Tgr (03-11-2022), MrMarco (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:50 PM
Olddragger
Instructor

Has anyone monitored the fluid temperatures in our transmission. Will I be the first to do this?
Old 06-13-2022, 11:11 AM
Olddragger
Instructor

There has been many transmission failures in Macans. The general manager of the service department at a major dealership in Atlanta has personally told me they have more transmission problems with the Macan than any other model. All the people who have trouble do not come on automotive forums and discuss it. Let me a little more clear. A lot of owners do not have to have the entire transmission replaced. Sometimes just a fluid/filter change can correct a minor problem, sometimes the mechatronic unit is replaced and that works.
The dealership repairs are very inconsistent. Some dealers will attempt to do basic repairs while some will not and just tell you you need a new transmission. Some will back you for goodwill, some won't.That is a problem.
Now, in the year 2022 transmission issues are becoming more common. Naturally as a car ages and is used more things get worn etc. A transmission is one of those things that is affected by that age and use. The BIG problem now is that a substantial numbers of Macans are out of warrenty. Once out of warrenty if you have a transmission problem you have a huge issue. A very big one. Porsche does not support repairing this transmission. Therefore getting parts can be very difficult. Dealerships costs in replacing is prohibited as the bill is usually $20,000 plus and in many cases no goodwill is offered.That leaves the owner in a pickle. What do they do? They are lucky if they live in an area in which an independant garage is able to handle the repair. Still, getting new parts is hard. Dealerships will not sell them to others. Ok say they were able to source the parts from overseas, or a junkyard etc. Most will not have the software available to mate the new parts to your car and dealerships do not like doing it. What then? Well there are some cloned systems out there............🙂. It is a real problem. Your beloved Porsche is having to be repaired in a makeshift manner. Sigh.
Now please allow me to clarify some. Our transmission is not a bad one. It really isn't. Porsche makes the situation bad surrounding the transmission because they do not support repairing it and the price of a new one can be more than 50% of what the car is worth. Porsche is not the only manufactor than behaves in this manner. I am reminded of the LS7 valve issue in the C6 ZO6. Chevy never admitted to a problem with the engines valves but everyone knew there was one. Many expensive engines blew and enthusiasts spread the word. It got to the point in which one could not sell a C6 ZO6 without already having the valve issue repaired by a recognized shop. I feel the Macan is headed that way. The resale of the Macan is going to become affected by the possibility of transmission problems. People are going to become more aware. Would you buy an expensive car that if it had transmission problems it could possibily not be repaired?
Now Porsche stepped up and handled the transfer case problem in the correct way. That is the way a quality manufactor of fine cars should approach a true problem. Our transmission situation is a true problem. Porsche just hasn't admitted to it yet.
Actually now a days automakers warrenty's are inadequate. With the cost of vehicles now being what they are a 5 year/ 50,000 mile warrenty is not very much. In America we drive a lot. 20,000 miles per year is not unusual at all. Let's see...so that would be 2 1/2 years of warrenty for your Macan that you possibly paid the better part of $100,000 for? Wait ....what?
The Macan is a great car, well designed and has a quality build. Sure it has some problems like every car does, but most don't have a problem like this. Come on Porsche...address this issue. Make ALL cars that carry the Porsche name one that people will want to keep a long time. Help the long term owner, don't make this transmission issue such a black flag. Fix it! Perhaps a 7 year/100k mile warrenty like the transfer case?
Ok now I am putting my flame suit on! Sorry guys...I know it sounds like I am complaining a lot. I just really like this car and I wish this situation didn't exist.

Last edited by Olddragger; 06-13-2022 at 11:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Olddragger:
chipsterguy (11-07-2022), coquette (07-21-2022), patrickoleas (07-15-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 12:41 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
This is pretty crazy and pretty much would make this car a non-starter for me if I were in market for one. How can you have a "practical" car like Macan but not be able to drive it in stop/go traffic? I'm sure 30-40% of the Macan owners must be either in populated north east or west or Chicago and must be driving their Macans in traffic.
The problem seems to be programming. Macans shift a lot in normal mode to meet environmental and fuel consumption targets. Frequent shifting in stop-and-go traffic will generate excessive heat and eventually that excessive heat can make them prone to failure. Simple fix is to drive them in sport mode in stop-and-go traffic. The PDK itself is a solid unit.
nemo06 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 12:50 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I'm confused. Is the Audi sourced "PDK" a Tiptronic or a true Dopple Koplung as described in the configurator and build sheet?

If a Tip, then ZF sourced, same as the Mercedes and bullet proof.
I'm sorry for the confusing language in my original post. To clarify, Macan's PDK is built by Audi at the Kassel plant and licensed/modified/rebranded by Porsche. To what extent still remains a mystery but it seems to be mostly software tweaks. It is not built by ZF. Other PDK transmissions, including the 911 are built by ZF but not the Macan's.
nemo06 (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 03:45 AM
nemo06
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
I'm sorry for the confusing language in my original post. To clarify, Macan's PDK is built by Audi at the Kassel plant and licensed/modified/rebranded by Porsche. To what extent still remains a mystery but it seems to be mostly software tweaks. It is not built by ZF. Other PDK transmissions, including the 911 are built by ZF but not the Macan's.

Exactly.
Indeed, the Macan is just a cash cow for Porsche.
Wilder (09-18-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 10:28 AM
YoshiV819
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
165k on Macan PDK and no issues. Changed PDK fluid every 40 and gear oil at 160,000

54k on my 997 PDK and just had it replaced to a tune of $18,500

They are both double clutch units but different.

The Macan is front drive biased like all Audi units. The front drive axles come off the transmission and at the back there is a transfer case that transfers some power to the rear wheels.

The Porsche 911 unit, since it is rear engined, has the axles come off the trans and drives the rear wheels. And the transfer case is not attached to the transmission but to the front differential.

After having both the Macan unit is a much better unit.
The Macan is not front wheel drive biased, just watch the torque bias display. The beauty of the layout of this transmission is it can be used in the front or rear of the chassis for AWD. I think the design is brilliant and durable. With regular service it's likely to last longer than the rest if the drivetrain...change all your fluids not just the hydraulic unit!
Old 07-21-2022, 11:34 AM
coquette
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ‘17 is currently at the Hennessy service center and needs a Mechatronics replacement. $4900.

Originally Posted by Olddragger
There has been many transmission failures in Macans. The general manager of the service department at a major dealership in Atlanta has personally told me they have more transmission problems with the Macan than any other model. All the people who have trouble do not come on automotive forums and discuss it. Let me a little more clear. A lot of owners do not have to have the entire transmission replaced. Sometimes just a fluid/filter change can correct a minor problem, sometimes the mechatronic unit is replaced and that works.
The dealership repairs are very inconsistent. Some dealers will attempt to do basic repairs while some will not and just tell you you need a new transmission. Some will back you for goodwill, some won't.That is a problem.
Now, in the year 2022 transmission issues are becoming more common. Naturally as a car ages and is used more things get worn etc. A transmission is one of those things that is affected by that age and use. The BIG problem now is that a substantial numbers of Macans are out of warrenty. Once out of warrenty if you have a transmission problem you have a huge issue. A very big one. Porsche does not support repairing this transmission. Therefore getting parts can be very difficult. Dealerships costs in replacing is prohibited as the bill is usually $20,000 plus and in many cases no goodwill is offered.That leaves the owner in a pickle. What do they do? They are lucky if they live in an area in which an independant garage is able to handle the repair. Still, getting new parts is hard. Dealerships will not sell them to others. Ok say they were able to source the parts from overseas, or a junkyard etc. Most will not have the software available to mate the new parts to your car and dealerships do not like doing it. What then? Well there are some cloned systems out there............🙂. It is a real problem. Your beloved Porsche is having to be repaired in a makeshift manner. Sigh.
Now please allow me to clarify some. Our transmission is not a bad one. It really isn't. Porsche makes the situation bad surrounding the transmission because they do not support repairing it and the price of a new one can be more than 50% of what the car is worth. Porsche is not the only manufactor than behaves in this manner. I am reminded of the LS7 valve issue in the C6 ZO6. Chevy never admitted to a problem with the engines valves but everyone knew there was one. Many expensive engines blew and enthusiasts spread the word. It got to the point in which one could not sell a C6 ZO6 without already having the valve issue repaired by a recognized shop. I feel the Macan is headed that way. The resale of the Macan is going to become affected by the possibility of transmission problems. People are going to become more aware. Would you buy an expensive car that if it had transmission problems it could possibily not be repaired?
Now Porsche stepped up and handled the transfer case problem in the correct way. That is the way a quality manufactor of fine cars should approach a true problem. Our transmission situation is a true problem. Porsche just hasn't admitted to it yet.
Actually now a days automakers warrenty's are inadequate. With the cost of vehicles now being what they are a 5 year/ 50,000 mile warrenty is not very much. In America we drive a lot. 20,000 miles per year is not unusual at all. Let's see...so that would be 2 1/2 years of warrenty for your Macan that you possibly paid the better part of $100,000 for? Wait ....what?
The Macan is a great car, well designed and has a quality build. Sure it has some problems like every car does, but most don't have a problem like this. Come on Porsche...address this issue. Make ALL cars that carry the Porsche name one that people will want to keep a long time. Help the long term owner, don't make this transmission issue such a black flag. Fix it! Perhaps a 7 year/100k mile warrenty like the transfer case?
Ok now I am putting my flame suit on! Sorry guys...I know it sounds like I am complaining a lot. I just really like this car and I wish this situation didn't exist.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:17 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 237 Posts

After reading this thread today I advised a female friend to either sell her Macan, or buy an extended warranty. She has a 2018 and the warranty is up in September. A buddy of mine at the PCAR dealership does her routine work. So far she's had zero issues. She's not a car person and doesn't have a clue; even had to convince her to buy a trickle charger in the winter.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:49 PM
DrKing
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Porsche would have much better PDKs if it could afford super engineers like you :-)

Last edited by DrKing; 07-28-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Macan Specific PDK Reliability Thread