Macan 2014-Current

Auto Cross Rookie !

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 02:29 PM
DocJ
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Auto Cross Rookie !

Hi, folks....Doing my first one in a few weeks. Can anyone give any advice on what to do, not do, what to expect? Bought my first helmet, and I feel like I'm a human Pez dispenser. TIA,
The following users liked this post:
drgav2005 (09-10-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 03:28 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
Hi, folks....Doing my first one in a few weeks. Can anyone give any advice on what to do, not do, what to expect? Bought my first helmet, and I feel like I'm a human Pez dispenser. TIA,
Uhm, by stock in Michelin.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:49 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

No advice other than steer clear of the Viper guy (or any other boat) they seem to always make an *** out of themselves. Otherwise we will need to see pics after the event....
DocJ (08-30-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 11:47 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're a member of the PCA, find out if your local region has an autocross school. They are usually in the spring like this one they have offered in the Chesapeake Region annually before COVID - https://pcachs.org/autocross-school-2019-april-6-2019/
Here's more info on what to expect at an autocross - https://www.pca.org/autocross-defined
Old 09-08-2021, 10:06 PM
Clubspec330i
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DocJ
Hi, folks...Doing my first one in a few weeks. Can anyone give any advice on what to do, not do, what to expect? Bought my first helmet, and I feel like I'm a human Pez dispenser. TIA,
DocJ,

Aim for the cones! The more you hit, the more points you get.

Joking aside, don't stress since it is your first time out. Just go out there and have fun!

I always enjoy AutoCrossing regardless of the car; my son's '15 Jetta, my wife's X6M, T, or even M3.
In my younger years, my mid-30s, I used to be competitive and was placed 2nd in a local BMWCCA in my '05 M3 Comp. Yes, that was many Michelin and Conti later.

Now, I enjoy driving whatever car I happen to take out and watching my 17 years old trying to beat me.

You are out there to enjoy and hopefully learn a little about your Macan handling characteristic.

Be well,

DocJ (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 11:58 PM
DocJ
Track Day

Thanks for your thoughts! Nice reply, appreciate it!j
Old 09-11-2021, 01:32 AM
mike_la_jolla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting question. What advice would I have given myself 20+ years ago before I started doing this sort of thing:

- Do it.

- Macan is a surprisingly decent car for this. Go for it. For some background I have had: 996, 996 turbo, 996 turbo S, 996 GT3, 997 GT3. Also some Caymans (2?) in the mix. I tracked them all. I wouldn't 'track' a Macan. I autocrossed the 996 before moving to the track. Autocross is fine and there is a difference. I have a Macan and a Panamera at the moment. I'm trying to convince the SO to trade in the Panamera (rolling sofa/boat/tank) for a GT4. It's ... complicated ...

- Relax. Fear is the biggest issue at your first event. You will be NOWHERE near the worst driver at this event. And, at a proper autocross event, there will be ZERO chance of getting hurt or damaging the car. You might send a poor flouescent cone to the rainbow bridge. You'll get over it.

- There will be a broad range of skill and talent in the instructors. Find the guy with his own trailer and the lawn chair. It could be a chick (hi Judy!). Some will click. Some won't. Communicate. It is OK to fire your instructor and move on. Do keep in kind that being an instructor is a hard task. Getting into the passenger seat of a Carrera GT with an unskilled driver at Willow Springs (big Willow) is beyond my comprehension.

- if you become uncomfortable for any reason just leave. This is unlikely at an autocross, but more likely at a track event.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike_la_jolla:
DocJ (09-11-2021), SD00 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 07:18 AM
DocJ
Track Day

Thanks, mike. Just what I wanted to hear from an experienced driver as yourself. Appreciate your candor! Jerry
Old 09-12-2021, 10:38 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Some tips: Learn the course first. Go relatively slow the first time out, try to go a little faster each successive run. Eyes up.. Look where you're going, not where you've been. You can't do anything about that cone you just hit so stay focused on what's ahead. Remember, the faster you go, the harder you have to brake for the turns. Concentrate on being smooth and you'll post your best times.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:01 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Get all the loose junk out of your car. Take that Kleenex box off the back shelf.
move the bottle of cologne off the dash. You don’t need any distractions.
go slow, and when you think you know everything in twenty minutes.
you Don’t , go slow, slow is fast.
Smooth. Gas, brake, then Turn in.
Your going to sweat 😅 like a fiend, keep hydrated.
Take pictures.
DocJ (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 02:05 PM
DocJ
Track Day

Hi, NC T.....Thanks for your thoughts (and judging by your stable of cars and your certification, you're incredibly qualified to respond)....My AutoX was this past Saturday.and having an instructor ride along, he told me exactly that " concentrate on the NEXT set of cones". I told him "I'm playing ball and not keeping score---just want to have fun and learn"..That's exactly what I did! Thanks, again.
NC TRACKRAT (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 02:07 PM
DocJ
Track Day

Hi, Big S......I left my ego at home. Slow at first to learn the cones and course, and drove a bit faster each time, and tried to listen and learn.

Quick Reply: Auto Cross Rookie !