Macan 2014-Current

Lower left brake light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021 | 02:51 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Lower left brake light replacement

Though they call it a "brake light" it's really just a parking/position light located in the same housing as the reverse lights. Mine is out so...

I've tried to see if I could access it from the inside but doesn't seem like an option which leaves me with the obvious choice of prying the reflector housing out as done int the 2015-16 Macan. Anyone know whether this is the access point to change the LED light for the 2020? TIA

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 08-19-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2021 | 06:35 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Seems for the 2020s it's a little more of a pain as you need to remove the rear wheel well cover to access the connector and remove towards the back rather than through the front. Dealer wanted $200 bucks, Suncoast wants $139 but insist on UPS/FedEx will try FCP Euro for better a shipping price. Will do this when I change over to winter tires.

siberian

PS Forgot to add the part number just in case: 95B945725K and then just specify right or left side.

Last edited by siberian; 08-26-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2021 | 07:37 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK so I just finished replacing the rear left lower light assembly on a 2020 Macan S. It is a Porsche so it is convoluted at least in the 2020 model as they did make accessing the electrical connector obviously uncomfortable. So here are the broad strokes to swap out this unit. You do not need to remove the bumper,

1) Place the car on a hoist (definitely preferable to be able to see into the cavity for the connector) or secure jack and remove the tire.

2) Torx and speed sockets to remove 4 screws and 3 speed nuts allowing you to peel back the wheel liner - definitely no need to remove the entire liner

3) The plastic hook on the unit is just there to route the wire around and up; it doesn't hook to anything

4) The assembly is fastened to a cradle on the body by 3 torx screws - you'll need an extension to get to them (see pic below)

5) Now comes the real silliness. The connector is clipped above the unit and fastened to the car body (see picture below). You will need a 12 inch extension pliers or a long fish hook wire to unclip it from there. This took most of the time

6) Once removed, you can then disconnect it and remove the light assembly by pushing it from the back of the assembly.

7) Reassembly is the same in reverse, feeding the assembly through to the front, reconnecting etc.

8) Given where the wire is routed above the assembly, I simply reconnected (it is keyed so you can't go wrong) but didn't bother re-cliping it to the car body as it's not going anywhere.

No idea how long it took (less than an hour) as I borrowed my friend's lift as we chatted away. Definitely a DIY and totally not worth involving the warranty and driving 700 miles for this.

There is no DTC code to reset, the "check rear left light" message went away as soon as I replaced the assembly. I'm going to disassemble the unit and see if I can just swap out the LED - just hate throwing away a perfectly good part otherwise. As we try and minimize wastage this must be up there in stupidity.

HTH someone

siberian

Connector showing the clip that secures it to the body

One of the three torx screws that secures the assembly to the cradle on the body

The LED in question

Last edited by siberian; 09-12-2021 at 02:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
blepski (09-14-2021), MrMarco (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021 | 10:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Epilogue.

I was hoping to be able to salvage the assembly and simply solder/replace the broken LED, alas they made sure there was no way to salvage anything and the whole assembly has to be dumped. So when we hear "we'll be carbon neutral by..." or "we're going all EV", we're not only a very long way from there as if in 2020 and 2021 designs such as this are still being made and produced but EVs will produce their own land fills.

I used a heat gun and snap ring pliers as I couldn't find my hot knife, so the separation wasn't as pretty as my previous jobs on the Touaregs where I embedded the rear reflectors with red LEDs and connected them into the brake circuit. Here are some pics

Far right you can see the three LEDs for the position light. Pretty useless as beyond a marker it doesn't shine light with any intensity

A closer view

The very dim reverse lights. I installed my own LED pod as these truly provided very little light
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021 | 12:08 PM
blepski
Instructor

Thank you for sharing your efforts on this. I agree 100% with your desire to reduce " E-waste" and it is completely irresponsible of these manufactures to continue perpetuating it in the never ending pursuit of corpo profit.

Unfortunately for some of us, we are keenly aware of the faulty logic, marketing and greed behind the belief that we can all somehow consume our way to a "greener" future.

Last edited by blepski; 09-14-2021 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
siberian (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021 | 03:11 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The sad part is that ALL of us should be aware of this and force corporations to be more intelligent in their designs. In this case it's not an engineering problem it's a greed and convenience implementation.

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
blepski (09-14-2021), Schwarz992C4S (09-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Lower left brake light replacement