Macan 2014-Current

Intake valve cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 10:02 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Intake valve cleaning?

Are Porsche engines with DFI prone to intake valve buildup? My 2015 Turbo has 80k miles and I imagine it's time to clean the intake valves. What's the best way to DIY this?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:59 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

If you've been using "Top Tier" gas and have not subjected your Macan to an excessive amount of "stop-and-go" driving, I doubt you've got a problem. If gas mileage and performance haven't changed, that would tend to indicate that all's well.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:26 AM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

With the DFI engines, the fuel doesn't flow over the intake valves. So the type of fuel makes no difference on how clean the intake valves are. My understanding is that it really comes down to engine design. I did some more research and it seems that the oil separators that are installed on the engine do a pretty good job of keeping oil out of the intake tract, so maybe it's not an issue? There were a couple reports of some folks on macanforum who took their intake manifold off for other reasons and did see build up.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:15 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
Are Porsche engines with DFI prone to intake valve buildup? My 2015 Turbo has 80k miles and I imagine it's time to clean the intake valves. What's the best way to DIY this?
Yes, they have buildup. I cleaned mine with fine grit walnut shells. You'll have to go toe your local Harbor Freight and pick up the stuff to get this done. It's a pretty easy task

1. This tool:
https://www.034motorsport.com/audi-a...ning-tool.html

2. Harbor Freight for a media tank, compressor, shop vac. They do make an all in one unit that make for an easy job. I have everything separate as I already had a compressor and a shop vac. Jus picked up this little piggy and I was off to the races.

Media Blaster Tank

The one and done way:
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-19-2024, 03:41 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts

There is probably some build-up, but unless you have cold-start issues, or discern a power decrease, you are fine.
Be glad you don't have the new Audi 3.0 or 2.9 V6 engine in your Macan, the engine needs to be removed (!!) to do in intake valve cleaning........
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Intake valve cleaning?