Macan 2014-Current

2021 Macan S Major issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 02:49 PM
Richard H Stamps
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2021 Macan S Major issue

Yesterday I drove my 3900 mile McCann from Philadelphia to Saratoga springs New York. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot in Saratoga I noticed all of the coolant leaking out of the bottom of the car. I immediately had the car towed to the local Porsche dealership and after quick inspection I was told that there was a tiny puncture in the radiator. The service manager continued on to tell me that this would not be covered by Porsche and that I should call my auto insurance. I have driven many porches and exotics over the years and have never experienced anything like this. Standard highway driving should not put the car in peril of catastrophic failure. I am also flabbergasted that the design team at Porsche thinks this is OK. I have put a call into 800 porch and gotten very little response.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Does anyone have a phone number for an actual person I could speak to at Porsche about this experience?

Thanks for your help
Old 05-14-2021, 02:58 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 553 Posts

Any warning light?
Could have been catastrophic engine damage.
Source of tiny puncture, road debris, mfg mistake, or other? They owe you more info.
I have learned over the last 32 years, accountants now running the company and have to push PCNA hard to get any result. If lucky.
I would find the biggest plastic lemon and tape it to the car. Park in front of the dealer.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:12 PM
Mjchernis
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely should not happen. Tiny puncture is equally likely a defect in manufacturing.. Should absolutely not happen on a new vehicle.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:28 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Stuff happens. My wife got a flat tire on her brand new Macan S just 2 miles from the dealership, ran over a nail and the TPMS came on. On a car that had 6 miles on it.. Is it a warranty item? No. Fault of the dealer? No. Dealer plugged it from in the inside for us immediately at no charge and that was fair. I replaced the tire two weeks later.

A puncture on a radiator is road debris. It's not a warranty item. A leak from a bad weld or joint would be, but a rock that struck your radiator is not a defect, it's on you - the vehicle owner, same as my wife running over that nail.

A warranty covers manufacturers defects on parts and workmanship for a period of time, it doesn't mean the vehicle is bulletproof and you have no cash outlay for the first three years.

Car insurance for a radiator puncture under Comprehensive? Maybe....but what's your Deductible? And how will the claim affect your rates in the future?

Last edited by drcollie; 05-15-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:17 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

A very old and very common story, unfortunately. For whatever reason, Porsche doesn't protect their condensers against impact damage from road debris. Yes, this amounts to negligent engineering on a vehicle like this, but fortunately, decent-looking aftermarket solutions exist.

I use Zunsport grills on my Boxster, while others have had good results with homebrew solutions. I need to look into this myself, come to think of it.

Quick Reply: 2021 Macan S Major issue