Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Pedal Commander. Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021 | 06:10 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, good info. I appreciate your help.
The following users liked this post:
boisenelson (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021 | 10:18 PM
vinceGTS

Originally Posted by boisenelson
I used a bit holding receiver screwdriver with magnetic torx bits. My experience was pretty easy.....the only tip I have is to make sure you seat the bottom of the pedal assembly (slide it up) to the bottom of the base it screws into. I didn't have the bottom seated on my first try and it threw the throttle pedal forward....noticed it as soon as I put my foot on the throttle pedal. Got to take the screw out a 2nd time and reseat the assembly. I am really pleased with the Pedal Commander....really woke up my GTS.
Totally agree, if you don't get the bottom seated first, the pedal sits way too high. I didn't have a magnetic torx bit, so I put a very small piece of painters tape on my torx bit then pushed the torx screw onto the bit - that made for a tight fit and held the screw on the bit as I positioned myself under the dash.

One other bit of advice, take your time and before you start, look at the height of the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal before you remove it as a point of reference. You'll know when you have it seated.
The following 2 users liked this post by vinceGTS:
boisenelson (02-03-2021), mvmojo (02-04-2021)
Old 02-07-2021 | 04:02 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK, got my Pedal Commander yesterday and installed it today. As others have said, you have to be somewhat of a pretzel to get the gas pedal screw out but I was able to get to it and remove it without dropping it - T-30 torx screw, and luckily the screw stuck to the torx bit and didn't fall down on the floor or beneath the carpet. My first surprise was the red locking tab on the Porsche connector needed to be pulled out to release the plug, and the locking tab is not spring loaded. I'm sure I read elsewhere that it had to be pushed in and you needed to use pliers to hold it in against spring pressure while disconnecting the plug. Not so on my 2018 Macan GTS. Pulling the red tab out released the plug and it disconnected easily. Second surprise, the identical plug on the Pedal Commander had a gray locking tab that is spring loaded and it does need to be squeezed in to release that plug. No big deal, just a heads up to others who may be considering an install... it appears there are at least two flavors of this connector out there. Anyway, I got the Pedal Commander connected to the harness and the gas pedal. Getting the gas pedal re-installed was another issue. From my perspective, it is extremely difficult to hold the gas pedal assembly in place while lining up and inserting the hold down screw. But, here's a little trick I figured out. There is a plastic "post" at the bottom of the gas pedal assembly that has to slide into a slot at the bottom of the gas pedal mount before pushing the gas pedal assembly up to align the screw hole. Unfortunately, once you get it aligned, the gas pedal assembly won't stay there by itself meaning you have to use one hand to hold it in place while trying to insert the screw. Very difficult, at least for me! But, it turns out that the Pedal Commander plastic box is the perfect height to insert under the bottom of the gas pedal to hold the gas pedal assembly in place, hands free. This allows you to hold your flashlight in one hand and the T-30 torx with the screw stuck to the end of it in the other hand and insert it into the hole. Other than the contorted position, it was a piece of cake once I propped the gas pedal up on the Pedal Commander box. Looking forward now to exploring the various settings and modes of the Pedal Commander!

Pedal Commander plastic box used as prop to hold gas pedal in place while installing the T-30 torx screw

Last edited by mvmojo; 02-07-2021 at 04:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mvmojo:
MGT3 (02-08-2021), segascott (03-15-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 02:21 PM
RSbob
Racer

^Really good tip about using the PC box to prop up the pedal.
Old 02-08-2021 | 02:33 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Other than the contorted body position, it made the job of putting in the screw easy.
Old 02-10-2021 | 10:12 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Just installed the Pedal Commander on my '20 Macan GTS this evening..it is transformational. At baseline, throttle response in all modes feels sluggish, particularly in normal mode but with the Pedal Commander, basic sport mode feels fantastic and completely changes the personality of the car. There is still some turbo lag of course but that initial pedal travel is now accompanied by propulsion whereas before there was....nothing. Can't recommend it enough. Didn't have to drop the pedal- was able to pry off off and install the new plug with bare hands- tight squeeze, but doable if you don't have lumberjack or farmer's hands.
The following users liked this post:
mvmojo (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021 | 12:29 AM
RSbob
Racer

Originally Posted by Fang911
Just installed the Pedal Commander on my '20 Macan GTS this evening..it is transformational. At baseline, throttle response in all modes feels sluggish, particularly in normal mode but with the Pedal Commander, basic sport mode feels fantastic and completely changes the personality of the car. There is still some turbo lag of course but that initial pedal travel is now accompanied by propulsion whereas before there was....nothing. Can't recommend it enough. Didn't have to drop the pedal- was able to pry off off and install the new plug with bare hands- tight squeeze, but doable if you don't have lumberjack or farmer's hands.

Congrats! Sure hate recommending a product and seeing people hate it. Glad you are enjoying it.

I dont drive mine mine every day, but when I know I will, the anticipation starts to build. My only complaint is that getting up to the 70 MPH interstate limit comes so quickly in Sport mode with PC on Sport +2, I just want to keep accelerating to 100, just to feel the push.
Old 02-11-2021 | 10:03 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now that I've spent some time driving with the Pedal Commander, even in the City setting, I'd hate to give it up! I normally use PC in Sport +1 or Sport +2 mode with the Macan GTS Porsche Sport mode turned on if I want a lot of pep and Porsche Sport mode off for around town stop and go. I turned PC entirely off the other day just to get a feel for the difference. WOW. Night and day - I thought something might be wrong with the car! With Porsche Sport+ on and PC Sport+ at +4, it's insane - can't imagine it be useful except on the track. I haven't tried the ECO mode yet but performance must be horrible - perfect if you're forced to use valet parking! The only downside to Pedal Commander is that in the week or so I've had it installed, my gas mileage has dropped 1-2 mpg! I'm assuming this will resolve itself as I get used to the new throttle response and some of the fun of the new toy wears off. But, I really don't care, the miles of smiles is well worth a little higher fuel cost.
Old 03-15-2021 | 10:34 AM
97c2s993
Racer

I bought a PC for my '18 GTS and it was a game changer, especially for everyday driveability. Regardless how rudimentary the explanation of why this works and that it doesn't add hp, simply the added throttle response combined with less need to push the pedal down further to elicit a response from the car is enough, even though I think there's more at play than just that. I also have the Cobb tune (which on the GTS does not add as much as on an S), it was the PC that I added after the Cobb tune that the car was really transformed - mainly and obviously at the low end, but that's where we spend most of our time in day to day driving. As some have mentioned, I also have to switch it off for my wife as she finds it too aggressive - fine by me and I love that there is that flexibility. Best few hundred I've spent for a mod.

Last edited by 97c2s993; 03-15-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2021 | 07:22 PM
PSEE
Pro

Ia anyone using the PC on a Macan Turbo?

If so, how do you like it? Which settings do you use?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2021 | 01:58 PM
s4one
Instructor

Is the PC essentially the same as pushing the Sport button on the car but you can just adjust the sensitivity with the +/-?
Old 04-05-2021 | 02:15 PM
993*David
Rennlist Member

No.

In my experience, Sport delays downshifts which makes city driving unpleasant - for me. PC keeps the shifting as per normal mode but makes the throttle response better i.e. no lag when pushing the pedal... (Not a great technical response but that's the best I can do!)
Old 04-05-2021 | 04:06 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s4one
Is the PC essentially the same as pushing the Sport button on the car but you can just adjust the sensitivity with the +/-?
Definitely not! While the Porsche native Sport mode does remap the throttle response, it also changes the way the PDK transmission behaves. Shifts are significantly delayed allowing higher rpm's per gear to keep the engine in a more optimal torque range. Pedal Commander does nothing to the PDK. It simply remaps the throttle response and the rate at which the throttle opens the air intake. If Pedal Commander is set in a fairly aggressive mode like on Sport +2 or so, from a standing start it may feel like the car is in the native Sport mode - very responsive throttle, quick squirt from a stop. But, unlike native Sport mode, Pedal Command will still allow the PDK transmission to shift normally rather than keeping high revs longer. I find Pedal Commander to be a great addition to my 2018 Macan GTS. It gives me Sport mode like performance in stop and go traffic without keeping the car in 3rd or 4th gear as speed builds. If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it all over again but do it sooner!!
Old 04-05-2021 | 09:09 PM
s4one
Instructor

Did you guys install the PC to a relatively new car? I have couple thousand miles on my S. Not sure if I should install PC now or wait to build more miles on it. I came from a 991.2 so the sluggish pedal is a drawback.
Old 04-05-2021 | 09:46 PM
993*David
Rennlist Member

Relatively new, but long enough to be frustrated by it...

Quick Reply: Pedal Commander. Who has one?