Macan 2014-Current

ATL dealer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 11:31 PM
Two0FourTarga
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ATL dealer question

anyone here have specific experience with Porsche Atlanta Perimeter or Hennessey Porsche for their latest purchase? I went to Atlanta Perimeter to hopefully check out some of their Macans but none of their salesman felt like giving me the time of day for whatever reason, so now I'm wondering if driving further out to Hennessey is worth the time or if its more of the same attitude and I'll have to buy from further away and just ship a car to me.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:40 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Never purchased from either but Service is great at Hennessey (Joel Hughs)...You could as him to get you with someone in sales.

Or ask for Mike McPherson and he'll get ya with someone.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:13 AM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

I can’t vouch for either, but I’m shocked that any salesperson would ignore any potential customer.

I’ve been visiting my local Porsche dealer for years before I finally bought my Macan S. Despite my telling the salespeople that I’m basically wasting their time and there is no way I’m going to be able to buy a Porsche for years to come, they’ve always given me their full attention and treated me seriously - and even given me complimentary cappuccinos! For many, buying a Porsche is a once in a lifetime purchase and part of building the prestige and base of people who idolize these cars is taking the time to “humor” a guy who might not provide an immediate sale. If that dealership won’t give you the time of day, move on.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:00 PM
Two0FourTarga
Track Day

Yeah at this point I'm just trying to figure out who to contact at Hennessy. I've bought multiple Porsches before and even serviced my 996 at their dealership several times but that won't be the case again. Very disappointed and will now be driving well out of my way to just avoid them.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:48 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I just left Tennessee today. I had to go in to get a software ECU flash update.

I text Mike and made him aware of this thread.

there is also a sales guy there named Shaun Freemon that I spoke with several years ago before buying my turbo S from a private party. He was very helpful and seemed eager to help even though I did not buy from him.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:39 PM
Two0FourTarga
Track Day

Thanks for the lead, I'll probably reach out this weekend and hopefully make a trip up to take a look at what they have. Appreciate the introduction too, always helps make things easier!

The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 05:46 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bruce Pinder at Hennessy, very personal and professional. Been a mainstay there for many years
Old 01-15-2021, 07:32 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

That's odd. Perimeter's brandon and roman are on it when it comes to sales. Henn has great rep in the local PCA, but I haven't been there myself.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:57 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Two0FourTarga
anyone here have specific experience with Porsche Atlanta Perimeter or Hennessey Porsche for their latest purchase? I went to Atlanta Perimeter to hopefully check out some of their Macans but none of their salesman felt like giving me the time of day for whatever reason, so now I'm wondering if driving further out to Hennessey is worth the time or if its more of the same attitude and I'll have to buy from further away and just ship a car to me.
I have purchased 4 Porsches from Hennessy over the last 10 years. You can’t go wrong there. Ask for Mark Venti and tell him Stephen Schwarz referred you.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:31 AM
Two0FourTarga
Track Day

Thanks, Stephen. I already emailed mike at the other commenter's suggestion, but if Mike's unavailable for some reason I'll reach out to Mark. Thanks for the suggestion/connection though!
Old 01-16-2021, 10:55 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 414 Likes on 248 Posts

Another vote for Hennessey from me as I have purchased three cars from them. I can wander around the showroom looking at the cars indefinitely and no one will approach me at all which I like as I may just be killing time while Service has the car. However its game on if I ask for assistance. Much preferred for me vs the traditional dealership experience where they are waiting on the sidewalk out front and descend on you like vultures before you even have the chance to get out of the car
Old 01-16-2021, 11:06 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

I unfortunately had a pretty poor buying experience at Hennessey. I was an out of state buyer. However, I talked with a member here last year, buying a 997 who used the same salesperson I did, 3 years later, and had no issue. Car was as described. My car was far from described in multiple ways. Condition, paintwork, servicing to get up to CPO spec, being relatively difficult to deal with at times, messing up out of state tax documents (I almost got charged for tax twice). Guy I know, who is also out of state, buys multiple cars from Perimeter and recommended them highly. Unfortunately at the time, Hennessey had the car I wanted and I bought that car.

I am a member of one of the Peachstate PCA groups though on Facebook, wanted to try and connect with the previous owner after I bought it and Mike at Hennessey seemed to be a great guy to deal with. He even offered to help me with some questions I had, if I remember correctly. So I'd recommend Mike over the individual I used. I think my experience was less of an issue with the dealer and more of an issue with the salesman, who everyone else seemed to have positive experiences with.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:25 PM
Two0FourTarga
Track Day

INCU, thats a good point. I have dealt with places like that before, and the experience was not amazing. I was just wandering around for a while trying to get the attention of anyone and it just was not working out, my only goal was to test drive a Cayenne S e-Hybrid to compare to a Macan S as my next daily/do it all car, and ironically just getting to test drive is going to end up being about 10x more annoying than actually sitting down and dealing with the process of buying the car.

Bxstr, I'm sorry you had such a poor experience buying your car. I saw your posts about it once before when I was researching the dealers myself after making this post looking for leads. I feel like sometimes when dealers know they have the "only one" of the car you're looking for, the truth and facts about the car and its history become whatever the dealer wants them to be to get you to buy ASAP, an unfortunate reality of the dealer model.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:40 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Let me ask this of all of you.

Has anyone here that purchases cars / vehicles Ever been in Sales at a Dealer?

I only ask this because sometimes people forget just How MANY "dreamers" and "tire kickers" there are stopping by compared to actual potential buyers!!!!

Now, I've never sold high end cars but as a HUGE car enthusiast all my life and Not being in the income bracket to afford them until my last several years, I can tell you I've done this many times at dealers. Walk around and even asks questions but not have any intensions on buying. (not purposefully wasting their time).

I did however sell motorcycles / ATV's / Watercraft at a dealer for 5 years. As a Commission based sales person, it's the most Frustrating thing in the whole to waste time with someone, NOT knowing yet that they are not a real buyer, only to have your fellow sales person snag an actual buyer within minutes of them walking in.

My reason for this post, I've had "buyers" actually get pissy and either leave or get the manager if they didn't have a sales person kissing their feet within seconds of hitting the lot. I am NOT saying anybody here is / was like this but MAYBE if you as a buyer was a bit more proactive in searching out a sales person or letting the receptionist know you need to speak to one VS. playing the Coy "Let's see how long I have to wait for someone to come kiss my feet" game.

Again, not meant to point fingers at anyone or hurt anyones feelings...Just a friendly message from a former sales person that has lost Tons of sells wasting time with "NON-qualified" buyers. Also, those non-qualified buyers will also Complain on you if you don't treat them like they are Qualified, once you figure out you're wasting time with them.

^^^ All of this is why I got OUT of sales and never sought out higher end products to sell. Commission based vehicles sales is very frustrating.
T3X4S (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 02:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Two0FourTarga
INCU, thats a good point. I have dealt with places like that before, and the experience was not amazing. I was just wandering around for a while trying to get the attention of anyone and it just was not working out, my only goal was to test drive a Cayenne S e-Hybrid to compare to a Macan S as my next daily/do it all car, and ironically just getting to test drive is going to end up being about 10x more annoying than actually sitting down and dealing with the process of buying the car.

Bxstr, I'm sorry you had such a poor experience buying your car. I saw your posts about it once before when I was researching the dealers myself after making this post looking for leads. I feel like sometimes when dealers know they have the "only one" of the car you're looking for, the truth and facts about the car and its history become whatever the dealer wants them to be to get you to buy ASAP, an unfortunate reality of the dealer model.
You're 100% right and there is a reason I've never posted the name of the salesperson I worked with, the only person that knows that information is a guy that reached out to me via PM. I don't want to hurt his business at all, even though financially I took a big loss on my car due to the mis-representation. I do agree 100% that I pretty much told him up front that I wanted the car and this probably led to him feeling he already had a guaranteed sale. Why would he want to jeopardize that in any way. Ultimately, I inspected the car myself in person, but I was already so into the process at that point that I was there that it just led to me continuing to make the purchase even though there were the issues, but issues continuing to happen after the purchase as well.

Like I said, they seem like a great dealer, my experience seems to be the outlier and I hope that's the case. Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Let me ask this of all of you.

Has anyone here that purchases cars / vehicles Ever been in Sales at a Dealer?

I only ask this because sometimes people forget just How MANY "dreamers" and "tire kickers" there are stopping by compared to actual potential buyers!!!!

Now, I've never sold high end cars but as a HUGE car enthusiast all my life and Not being in the income bracket to afford them until my last several years, I can tell you I've done this many times at dealers. Walk around and even asks questions but not have any intensions on buying. (not purposefully wasting their time).

I did however sell motorcycles / ATV's / Watercraft at a dealer for 5 years. As a Commission based sales person, it's the most Frustrating thing in the whole to waste time with someone, NOT knowing yet that they are not a real buyer, only to have your fellow sales person snag an actual buyer within minutes of them walking in.

My reason for this post, I've had "buyers" actually get pissy and either leave or get the manager if they didn't have a sales person kissing their feet within seconds of hitting the lot. I am NOT saying anybody here is / was like this but MAYBE if you as a buyer was a bit more proactive in searching out a sales person or letting the receptionist know you need to speak to one VS. playing the Coy "Let's see how long I have to wait for someone to come kiss my feet" game.

Again, not meant to point fingers at anyone or hurt anyones feelings...Just a friendly message from a former sales person that has lost Tons of sells wasting time with "NON-qualified" buyers. Also, those non-qualified buyers will also Complain on you if you don't treat them like they are Qualified, once you figure out you're wasting time with them.

^^^ All of this is why I got OUT of sales and never sought out higher end products to sell. Commission based vehicles sales is very frustrating.
Dave, totally agree with you and understand. While I have not been in car sales, I can tell you that I've seen this from many people walking into dealers over the years. They want people to offer them the world immediately after walking in. That is what they expect when they are shopping for a luxury car. However, as we all know, there are plenty of people out there with money that can buy these cars and on top of that, it's hard to tell who is serious when looking at a car and who isn't. So I wouldn't expect every salesperson to immediately run to every person walking in the door.

At least in my time of walking into Porsche dealers, or any high end car dealer, or even when looking at watches, I like to just browse around. Being around cars is a therapy for me, I don't want to waste anyones time. I can't tell you how many salesmen I've had come up to me, trying to be pushy or trying to get me to test drive stuff and I've actually had to tell them no, I'm not in the position to buy at the moment and am simply stopping in on my way home from other running around. But I used to stop into my local dealer monthly. Typically after a couple minutes of looking around, someone would approach me, gently ask if I needed anything and then when I responded with no, just browsing, they'd go back to their desk. Exactly how I like my sales experience to be. As a serious buyer, I've probably already called ahead, found someone to work with, etc. If I did happen to just stop in and find a car I wanted, I'd just approach someone myself. But it's not likely that I'm going to buy a car after just randomly stopping in. There have been cases where I was genuinely interested in buying a car, but after a test drive I decided it wasn't right for me and I actually felt bad that it didn't result in a sale. I understand that if they don't make a sale, they don't eat and I always try and respect that.

I don't think your comment was at all directed at me, but just giving my input on what I've done and experienced over the years.
Big Swole (01-16-2021)

Quick Reply: ATL dealer question