Macan 2014-Current

End of Lease Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 08:17 PM
s0upb0ne
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End of Lease Question

For those of you that have done a pre turn-in inspection with AutoVin, I was curious if they do another inspection after you turn in at the dealership. My end of lease pre inspection report shows no excess damage. Just wondering can the inspection at the dealership differ from the pre inspection report.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:25 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Did you check with the dealer if they accept their findings? Would you trust one that you don't have a contract with? Seriously. Why did you go there unless you were trying to get by with something?
Old 12-23-2020, 08:50 AM
crunch527
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

And I’m one of those guys who has been lurking here for over a year and looking for a used Macan GTS...possibly one that is coming off of a lease...these are the things I am trying to avoid...tells me I should order new and it is worth the piece of mind and eating the depreciation on a new Porsche. If someone takes reconditioning off line, then what else didn’t get done? Maybe nothing but its a bad act.

For example, this week I found a nice 1-owner Macan GTS lease turn in and while the CARFAX is clean yet there is a “ding” on the vehicle history that shows 1 Accident cause the PO took the car to a body shop for “paint touch up” on the rear bumper. The funny thing is that this one is also CPO...yet, that history stays with the car and I would have to own that story on the back end as well. Oh well...

the search continues...

Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 AM
s0upb0ne
AutoX

Originally Posted by ExMB
Did you check with the dealer if they accept their findings? Would you trust one that you don't have a contract with? Seriously. Why did you go there unless you were trying to get by with something?

Go where?

The dealer and Autovin have told me two different things. It has already been inspected. The car is great condition. I was just asking if the dealer does the final inspection or AutoVIN. I don’t trust any process I don’t understand.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:35 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by s0upb0ne
Go where?

The dealer and Autovin have told me two different things. It has already been inspected. The car is great condition. I was just asking if the dealer does the final inspection or AutoVIN. I don’t trust any process I don’t understand.
Seriously!

Ask yourself this: Who is going to wind up with the car at turn in, end of lease?

Old 12-23-2020, 09:39 AM
s0upb0ne
AutoX

Originally Posted by crunch527
And I’m one of those guys who has been lurking here for over a year and looking for a used Macan GTS...possibly one that is coming off of a lease...these are the things I am trying to avoid...tells me I should order new and it is worth the piece of mind and eating the depreciation on a new Porsche. If someone takes reconditioning off line, then what else didn’t get done? Maybe nothing but its a bad act.

For example, this week I found a nice 1-owner Macan GTS lease turn in and while the CARFAX is clean yet there is a “ding” on the vehicle history that shows 1 Accident cause the PO took the car to a body shop for “paint touch up” on the rear bumper. The funny thing is that this one is also CPO...yet, that history stays with the car and I would have to own that story on the back end as well. Oh well...

the search continues...
I think my question was misunderstood.

Autovin did an hour long inspection on my car. The guy took a billion pictures. I take really good care of my cars.

The pre inspection report has no excess damages. It’s a beautiful well kept car.

I have leased or financed five other Porsches. It’s the first time turning one in using AutoVin. I have had issues in the past with obvious mistakes in the final report on one of the leased cars, and understanding the process helps on the phone. I am not paying something just because they keyed in the wrong VIN.

I don’t think there will be problems, but I just like to know things work. I am OCD that way.

The buyer that gets my GTS is getting a great car.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:00 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

Manufacturer always does a final inspection. Autovin is for your peace of mind, so you have an understanding of what charges may be incurred.

Very unlikely they find anything additional, but the car goes through an actual check after turn in and before it's shipped off to auction or retailed.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:09 AM
s0upb0ne
AutoX

Originally Posted by smohr33
Manufacturer always does a final inspection. Autovin is for your peace of mind, so you have an understanding of what charges may be incurred.

Very unlikely they find anything additional, but the car goes through an actual check after turn in and before it's shipped off to auction or retailed.
Thanks

Old 12-23-2020, 02:48 PM
crunch527
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s0upb0ne
I think my question was misunderstood.

Autovin did an hour long inspection on my car. The guy took a billion pictures. I take really good care of my cars.

The pre inspection report has no excess damages. It’s a beautiful well kept car.

I have leased or financed five other Porsches. It’s the first time turning one in using AutoVin. I have had issues in the past with obvious mistakes in the final report on one of the leased cars, and understanding the process helps on the phone. I am not paying something just because they keyed in the wrong VIN.

I don’t think there will be problems, but I just like to know things work. I am OCD that way.

The buyer that gets my GTS is getting a great car.
Ah, ok. Fair enough. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2020, 04:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by crunch527

the search continues...

The above lease return, is exactly that, a lease return. to most people a car is an appliance. Rent and return.
I have had a number of friends use an inspection service before lease return. They go to you to look at the car. They check that the car is in good order. It is allowed to have normal wear and tear. So May stone chips, some many dents. No dent over a certain size. Tires with tread, brakes, with life left.
I certain,y don’t want to buy a car made with two different serial numbers.

I know vehicle history information often gets lost, or taken out of a used car/lease return. Being a crazy car guy. I make a copy of all the service records, and take out my name and contact information. Leave all that paperwork in the glovebox. I also attach a memory stick to the key chain with those service records as a pdf, and photos of the car. First pick up day, dealer visit photos, golf trips, ski trips. No people pictures.
and a second memory stick is hidden in the fuse panel as a future Easter egg 🥚.
Not all used cars are bad cars. Not everyone is trying to hide something. Some are ...
If that bugs you too much. Sure, go buy new.
But new is not a guarantee either. My mothers 1982 bmw, was brand new from the dealer. 8kms on it.
A year later, I noticed some orange peal on the drivers door. I researched it. It turned out the door was re sprayed at the port when it was unloaded.
Did you know that an Audi assured used vehicle, can be certified as Audi assured with UP TO 3 repainted and repaired panels?
That could be a fender, and two doors.

O/P - for your own files. Take pictures of your vehicle at the dealership or return place. And get a receipt. Always get a receipt with details.
ie. Blue Macan s, with 59,999.99 miles not dents or scratches. Think about my Easter egg 🥚 idea. OCD it forward.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:31 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Just turned in my 2018 Macan with 25k miles on it. The auto vin inspection was very detailed. The dealer I turned it into told me the auto vin was suffice, took my keys and that was that. In fact, not only that, my $600 for wear on the two front tires were waived because the dealer ended up buying the car from PFS.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:39 AM
vinceGTS

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I know its not the same, but returning my Audit S4 after lease and Audi subcontracts with a company to do their inspections. This inspection can be a month or two before the turn in date so while mine was a no damage report, I am still responsible for any damage until I turn it back to the dealer.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:52 PM
OMTarga4S
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vinceGTS
I know its not the same, but returning my Audit S4 after lease and Audi subcontracts with a company to do their inspections. This inspection can be a month or two before the turn in date so while mine was a no damage report, I am still responsible for any damage until I turn it back to the dealer.
Exactly this, I have done a lease return of my 16’ Macan S with autovin with no remarks. Returned to local dealer no questions asked. Promo to buy a new Porsche from has not stopped since.

Quick Reply: End of Lease Question