Macan 2014-Current

CPO Macan Turbo - w/o Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 12:23 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Default CPO Macan Turbo - w/o Air Suspension

Would a Macan Turbo with no air suspension be a deal breaker? I'm surprised at the number of CPO models in the market without it. Are there more important options to have?

Also any issues to he aware of other then the timing cover leak and transfer case? Looking at potentially a 2017 or 2018.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I traded my 2016 S (with PASM and 20 in wheels) for a 2018 Turbo with Air Suspension and 20 in wheels. Air suspension is nice in general with the ability to lower the vehicle and a definite luxury feel. I would by no means consider it "necessary" or lack thereof a "deal breaker" any more that I would any other option. Mileage and overall condition seem to me the key concerns.

But you need to drive one with and without to see if it makes a difference to you. The 2018 has a newer Nav/radio unit that I find to be better than the earlier unit- with Apple Car Play (via usb cable).

Last edited by chuckbdc; 12-01-2020 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NC TRACKRAT (11-30-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 09:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,582 Likes on 4,186 Posts

If you plan to tow anything having the air suspension so it automatically levels the vehicle and accounts for the extra rear weight is a big benefit. If not towing with it, then it's nice, but probably not necessary.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:39 PM
blepski
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
Would a Macan Turbo with no air suspension be a deal breaker? I'm surprised at the number of CPO models in the market without it. Are there more important options to have?

Also any issues to he aware of other then the timing cover leak and transfer case? Looking at potentially a 2017 or 2018.
Here's my different perspective: Personally, I would view the air suspension as a deal breaker. The added complexity and potential failure prone components of the system can lead to reliability issues, unscheduled dealer visits and significant repair costs particularly if you plan to keep the vehicle beyond the CPO warranty period. As someone who aims to keep vehicles long term and tends to avoid the dealer whenever possible (whether under warranty or not) the relatively minimal added benefits of the system in my opinion are not enough for me.

I also personally have found the air suspension to have a slight floaty feeling to it and while the ride is a bit smoother, that slight loss of road connection was tough for me being primarily a sports car , sports sedan driver.
On our 21 Macan S I even opted for the base non PASM suspension during the build as I found it perfectly adequate at blending ride quality with decent performance without any "drive mode" or electronic trickery required. Remember that at the end of the day these sport SUV's / CUV's are inherently compromised, heavy and improperly configured for real significant on road performance. I have found it best to simply enjoy them for what they are without getting too crazy on the performance aspects, I also tend to adhere often to the belief that less is more.

If none of that bothers you and you feel those added benefits of the air suspension outweigh the potential for headaches down the road then go for it!

The timing cover leaks and transfer cases tend to be the common worry spots. I would strongly recommend a PPI or at least visually inspecting the engine on a lift before making a purchase. Under warranty or not that timing cover leak issue is not something I would ever want to deal with. The transfer cases are now under extended warranty I believe and the replacement is straight forward and hopefully a lasting fix!

Hope this helps, have fun with the search!

Last edited by blepski; 12-01-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:54 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the thoughtful insight. Appreciate it!
Old 12-01-2020, 04:26 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

One more opinion. And, as you know, opinions are like **** sphincters. Everyone has one. I bought new a 2018 Turbo with 18-way seats, chrono package and air suspension. These were three of my four 'must haves'. The fourth was NO trailer hitch. I don't tow. Period. Fortunately, it came with the Porsche exhaust, black tips, CF and exterior black trim elements. And for kickers, it was red on black and NO trailer hitch.

I have the ability of lowering it an additional 10mm with the flick of a button. For me, it's a very comfortable ride. At times, based on road conditions, it can feel tight or a little rough. And that is with 20" Spyder's. I know from my readings it would ride even firmer with 21" wheels due to a shorter sidewall. Now, if you want a stiff ride, go with springs. If you want a more compliant ride, go with air. Keep in mind, you can always make the air suspension firmer by electronically lowering it. But, you cannot make the springs any softer. Only harder, as in buying aftermarket springs which will lower it even more.

For issues with the air suspension, feel free to do a search on this forum and the macan forum. You will find very few issues posted. I'm very happy with mine. It handles exceptionally well in all conditions. But, as I originally stated, this is my opinion...
2021Macan (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:41 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
Here's my different perspective: Personally, I would view the air suspension as a deal breaker. The added complexity and potential failure prone components of the system can lead to reliability issues, unscheduled dealer visits and significant repair costs particularly if you plan to keep the vehicle beyond the CPO warranty period. As someone who aims to keep vehicles long term and tends to avoid the dealer whenever possible (whether under warranty or not) the relatively minimal added benefits of the system in my opinion are not enough for me.

I also personally have found the air suspension to have a slight floaty feeling to it and while the ride is a bit smoother, that slight loss of road connection was tough for me being primarily a sports car , sports sedan driver.
On our 21 Macan S I even opted for the base non PASM suspension during the build as I found it perfectly adequate at blending ride quality with decent performance without any "drive mode" or electronic trickery required. Remember that at the end of the day these sport SUV's / CUV's are inherently compromised, heavy and improperly configured for real significant on road performance. I have found it best to simply enjoy them for what they are without getting too crazy on the performance aspects, I also tend to adhere often to the belief that less is more.

If none of that bothers you and you feel those added benefits of the air suspension outweigh the potential for headaches down the road then go for it!

The timing cover leaks and transfer cases tend to be the common worry spots. I would strongly recommend a PPI or at least visually inspecting the engine on a lift before making a purchase. Under warranty or not that timing cover leak issue is not something I would ever want to deal with. The transfer cases are now under extended warranty I believe and the replacement is straight forward and hopefully a lasting fix!

Hope this helps, have fun with the search!

This. FWIW I have a 15 Turbo without air suspension. My SA told me to be glad I didn’t have it - failures are possible in his experience, and if it happens out of warranty it is a huge deal.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 PM
blepski
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
This. FWIW I have a 15 Turbo without air suspension. My SA told me to be glad I didn’t have it - failures are possible in his experience, and if it happens out of warranty it is a huge deal.
I hate to be so negative because I know the air suspension is very highly regarded by many but in terms of reliability issues it's really not a matter of IF but WHEN. For those of us who wish to keep these vehicles for 5-10 years it's likely to become a factor.

Also, it's worth noting that a common failure point of these systems is the air springs themselves which are made of rubber and should almost be considered a wear item as age/mileage eventually causes them to crack and fail either by a slow air leak or a complete rupture. When one does rupture it's practically a complete breakdown as the vehicle is nearly undriveable aside from being "limped home" a short distance. The suspension is completely bottomed out and at least one corner of the vehicle is slammed onto the bump stop.

There is also the rest of the system components to consider: Air compressor unit, control modules ( separate for AS and PASM), air lines, fittings, sensors, additional wiring etc.

Again, just my two cents but I do feel that if more buyers went into a purchase fully informed with their eyes wide open to the pluses and minuses of every option then their chances for a pleasurable ownership experience are much greater.

For those who absolutely love the air system and consider it a "must have" the potential for these issues / headaches down the road are simply seen as the cost associated and nothing more.

Last edited by blepski; 12-01-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:32 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

For my purposes, which include crawling into a backwoods fishing club over the worst semi-unimproved road ever for an hour the air suspension allows me to raise the car above the boulders I have to crawl across. Then when I hit the interstate I drop it all the way down to 10 cm below standard height nd have a semi-sport CUV. I tow a Donzi, too. The AS is the way to go for me. .
Liste-Renn (12-02-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 11:56 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 556 Posts

Air suspensions have come a long way, and I don't see any complaint threads over on the MB board.

Parents had a '61 Citröen ID 19 with AS. You could raise it enough to change a tire.

I had a '72 MB 300 SEL 6.3 with AS. I knew it was leaking when I paid $5K for the car, spent $5K to replace all 4 air bags, drove it a bunch more with no incident. Sold it for $5K.

Not only was the 443 lbs ft motor a beast, but the handling was nimble for a big car.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:19 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

My 2 cents:

The AS on my 2018 Macan GTS is worth every penny in price, and any possible cost from failure down the road. As stated by ///Bruce above, the flexibility to go from full OFF ROAD height to a lowered stance for performance oriented driving is the real advantage.

I don't tow, but the suspension self-leveling is adaptive for that, as well as heavy interior loads and even keeps the headlight beam pattern consistent. It also adjusts when accessing the cargo area as well, lowering to assist in loading.

For me, it puts the "Utility" in this SUV (or CUV). Anything else is a compromise based on initial cost, future maintenance cost, or the attitude of "If I don't have it, I won't miss it". Which is not the point of owning a superbly engineered vehicle. I want the best function options, and am willing to pay for them.

Reading opinions like "PTV causes premature brake wear" just makes me shake my head. How is less capability valued over more? Porsches are not budget vehicles, and deleting/foregoing performance options based on economy is a bit of cognitive dissonance. YMMV, for sure. As I stated at the start- my 2 cents, nothing more.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-03-2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: "lowers" to assist in loading
T3X4S (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:33 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
My 2 cents:

The AS on my 2018 Macan GTS is worth every penny in price, and any possible cost from failure down the road. As stated by ///Bruce above, the flexibility to go from full OFF ROAD height to a lowered stance for performance oriented driving is the real advantage.

I don't tow, but the suspension self-leveling is adaptive for that, as well as heavy interior loads and even keeps the headlight beam pattern consistent. It also lifts when accessing the cargo area as well, raising to assist in loading.

For me, it puts the "Utility" in this SUV (or CUV). Anything else is a compromise based on initial cost, future maintenance cost, or the attitude of "If I don't have it, I won't miss it". Which is not the point of owning a superbly engineered vehicle. I want the best function options, and am willing to pay for them.

Reading opinions like "PTV causes premature brake wear" just makes me shake my head. How is less capability valued over more? Porsches are not budget vehicles, and deleting/foregoing performance options based on economy is a bit of cognitive dissonance. YMMV, for sure. As I stated at the start- my 2 cents, nothing more.

I think you got it backwards. It lowers for loading in the hatch area.
Liste-Renn (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 03:22 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 178 Posts

If you plan a lot of serious road trips (several hundred miles at a clip air suspension is a godsend. It can make 10 hours of driving feel more like 5.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:50 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I totally get the comfort aspect. I also understand that raising 1.5” makes a difference to the few who go seriously off road. What I don’t understand is how 1.5” of lowering makes much difference in loading convenience.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by pbon
I totally get the comfort aspect. I also understand that raising 1.5” makes a difference to the few who go seriously off road. What I don’t understand is how 1.5” of lowering makes much difference in loading convenience.
It depends on whether you have a 12 year old black lab you are lifting into the rear.

Quick Reply: CPO Macan Turbo - w/o Air Suspension