Notices
Macan 2014-Current

$1,600 for Intermediate Service?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 03:48 PM
kh1010
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1,600 for Intermediate Service?!

My local porsche dealership quoted me for $1,600 for the 20K/2year intermediate service. I had my car for 2 years but only 12,000 miles on it. I just changed the oil at 10K miles (few months ago) so I asked them what the new quote would be minus the oil change They said $1,350.....

Calling up indy shops tomorrow. But is this normal??

Old 11-22-2020, 03:59 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

You could change the cabin and engine air filters, bleed the brakes and otherwise be done or find an independent and probably get away paying less than half of the revised quote.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:09 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Wow! You must live in either NY, CA or other high cost state/city.

My 2 yr service was $450ish, with low mileage.
I did however, pay around $2500ish ($3000 list b/4 discount) for my 4 yr service, that included four new tires, four new rotors & four new brake pads...

cheers/B
Old 11-22-2020, 08:24 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

That does sound a bit high for the 20k service since that doesn’t include things like spark plugs or PDK service. But then I’m not too surprised.

This past June I paid a combined $2500 for the 30k and 40k services (my GTS is low miles so I had to do them both based on time instead of mileage). So perhaps that gives you some frame of reference price wise.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:36 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
Wow! You must live in either NY, CA or other high cost state/city.

My 2 yr service was $450ish, with low mileage.
I did however, pay around $2500ish ($3000 list b/4 discount) for my 4 yr service, that included four new tires, four new rotors & four new brake pads...

cheers/B
Hold on here. Service, to me, is inspection and required item to keep warranty in place. Like a PDK service as required in the owners manual, by date, or distance covered.
Tires, brakes and rotors are wear items. Depending on your tire size, 18/19/20, or 21. Tires could be 1000-2500. Brakes at the dealer, base,S,GTS/Turbo? 2-3k. $2500 for your above visit looks fair to me.

I bought my S rotors and pads last year on a black friday offer. Delivered to my desk @$9oo bucks, with engine oil and filter.
I just bought two engine filters, those are silly expensive for what they are, Black friday 1/2 off.

I tried to have the spark plugs changed. One indy, did the above Rotors/pads and oil change, but did not have time to do the plugs. My Macan was in for leaky valve covers. So the engine was out and on the shop floor. I asked the dealer to change the plugs. A month in the shop, and they forgot to do it.
Taking maters into my own hands, as no one seems to want to be paid for this job. I did it myself. It took maybe an hour. Got some of the dust off my hand tools. It felt great, tackling something so simple. I saved 600 bucks.

Cabin filter is one of the intermediate services? I think. Amazon $15-30 bucks. My 14 y/o did it. Charge? One pack of Tic Tac's. (which he would have swindled out of me anyway)

Oil change at my dealer is $55o. They haven't extracted that from me yet. I use my indy @$25o.

Research your hours, research your parts, spend your money where you want, with who you want.
I don't mind you getting chubby off my business, I just don't like them getting fat.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 11-23-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:37 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=BIG smoke;17044518]Hold on here. Service, to me, is inspection and required item to keep warranty in place.

No **** Sherlock! Re-read my post. The operative word is that “included...”
Reading comprehension issues?

Carry on...
Old 11-30-2020, 06:47 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

[QUOTE=BenDiem;17047924]
Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Hold on here. Service, to me, is inspection and required item to keep warranty in place.

No **** Sherlock! Re-read my post. The operative word is that “included...”
Reading comprehension issues?

Carry on...
And as I said, "looks fair to me", for what was included.
I meant it in the kindest way, sorry if I offended you. My reading skills are improving with age.... my writing skills? Are still not as refined as they could be.

The o/p was asking for opinions on a $1600 service charge? Which I obliged

My X5 shop charge for a cabin filter change is 40 minutes, plus the two filters. Its a 5-8 min job. All I'm suggesting, is know what the job is and pay a reasonable fee for the job, before you agree to contracting said service..
I see hard cost below, as Oil change and cabin filter.
Cleaning a back up camera? Checking seat belt operation? Checking the horn? That is fluff to me, and a $16oo charge? Oil 8L @$10/L, oil filter 30 buck, cabin filter 30 bucks. $140 in hard costs, @200/hr labour in the shop, they better be spending 7.3 hours on my car.
Spend whatever you want on your car? If owning a Porsche means you are unable to clean your own back up camera? Pay someone else to do it. Perfectly fine with me.
A car under warranty? To me? The dealer should be looking for problems to bill back to the manufacturer, Why are WE paying for inspections, when if there is a problem, it is not our problem. It's a Warranty claim. I see double billing here???
O/P's cost reduction dealer offer of $1350 for no oil change? - Thievery.

Here is a random California dealer website discription. https://www.rusnakwestlakeporsche.co...C%2010%20years.

Electric

• Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory; reset maintenance interval
  • Windshield and wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check function and nozzle adjustment
  • Horn: Check operation
  • Tires: Check tire pressure
  • Electrical equipment as well as indicator and warning lights: Check operation

Inside of Vehicle

• Seat belts: Check operation and condition
  • Pollen filter: Replace filter element

Outside of Vehicle

• Check wiper blades
  • Clean reversing camera lens
  • Vehicle lighting: Check operation
  • All headlights: Check adjustment
  • Trailer hitch: Check operation
  • Radiators and air intakes: Visual inspection for exterior debris and blockage
  • Check all body drains for debris

Under The Vehicle

• Drain engine oil and change oil filter (Every 10,000 miles)
  • Tires: Check tire pressure
  • Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for signs of wear (without removing wheels)
  • Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion
  • Axle shafts: visual inspection of the dust boots for leaks & signs of damage
  • Axle joints: Check play; visual inspection of the dust boots for leaks & signs of damage
  • Drive shafts/Cardan shaft: visual inspection the rubber bellows for leaks and signs of damage
  • Steering gear: Visual inspection of the dust boots for signs of damage
  • Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and signs of damage; check mounts

Engine Compartment

• Fill engine oil
  • Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids)
  • Check drive belt (only if vehicle is used off-road)
  • Fuel system lines and connections: Visual inspection
  • Coolant and hoses: Check level and antifreeze, check condition of hoses
  • Windshield wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid and antifreeze protection level
  • Check firewall body drains for debris

Last edited by BIG smoke; 11-30-2020 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BenDiem (12-02-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:11 PM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

Makes it seem like they are spending a day pampering your car. They are not. Probably 1-1.5 hours and that is if you are at 10k so an oil change is due.

Last edited by pbon; 12-01-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:20 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Take it to an Indy.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:20 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the 2/20K service completed on my '18 Macan Sport Edition today at a local Porsche Dealer for $710. No charge to pickup and deliver the car at my home 35 miles from the dealer. Returned with a sanitizing wipe down in my driveway. I provided my own oil and had already changed the cabin filter.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:28 PM
ABORh911
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I had my indy do the 20k service this year for $472 on my 2018 Macan GTS. Didn't waste time checking with the dealer.

This included cabin air filter, oil change, and brake fluid flush.

Quick Reply: $1,600 for Intermediate Service?!