Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Tires: PZero vs. Pilot Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 09:57 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,296 Likes on 596 Posts

I had PZeros on my ED Macan GTS. Would have specified Michelin Latitude Summer, but on an ED, your choices are "All Season" and "Summer Performance". What they put on the vehicle can be Michelin, Pirelli, or Continental.

Pick up was September 6, but drove in and around the Alps until Oct 31. Crossed some passes with ambient temps right at the "magic" 40 deg F. Also drove on many gravel roads in Tuscany.

The summer tires were great on smooth roads, a bit dicey crossing alpine passes with rain/sleet, and more than serviceable on dry gravel.

I later drove them on interstates and secondary roads in the US from Atlanta to LA. Detoured onto some logging trails in the Rockies, Sierra Nevada and Pacific coast ranges- never lost traction or got stuck.

Also drove 1000 miles in the Canadian coast and Rocky Mountain ranges this past winter on Michelin Alpins. Awesome performance from those tires.

My PZero's have 15K miles on them. Looks like about 2-3K tread left.
Will replace with an all season set- maybe the Mich P4SUV over a set of Latitudes. Want to ditch the dedicated snow tires, but do not want to sacrifice the great dry road handling of my GTS.

So, watching this thread for advice...

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 01-03-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:37 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

The Pirellis seem to have great grip but do tend to wear out more quickly. You might investigate Bridgestones or Continentals. The Michelins do tend to last long and have pretty good overall performance. I'm currently at 10k miles on the original Goodyears and can't complain, but really have no basis for comparison on the Macan yet. The past experience was all in conjunction with other vehicles, just to be clear.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:14 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 357 Likes on 207 Posts

Are the Pirelli's better than they used to be? I hated them on my 2013 Audi S6 and replaced them with Michelin Super Sports at the time. They wore horribly and the grip on the Michelin was so much better.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:21 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Pirelli

So far the non Verde Scorpion P Zero all season plus in 20” are far superior to the Oem Verdes which I sadly “canned” at 21k miles with 6-7/32 even wear all around due to NOISE which was intolerable.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:37 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
So far the non Verde Scorpion P Zero all season plus in 20” are far superior to the Oem Verdes which I sadly “canned” at 21k miles with 6-7/32 even wear all around due to NOISE which was intolerable.
Interested to hear more about these PZero A/S as it’s also one I’m considering when it comes time to replace my OEM Verdes. On Tire Rack’s website, it’s the only choice for a performance oriented all-season tire for the Macan. The OEM Verdes are classified as all-season touring tires.

Also considering just going with summer performance tires since my GTS is not a daily driver, especially in winter. In that case I’m looking at either the OEM N0 spec Michelin Sport 3 or the newer Michelin P4 SUVs.

So reading folk’s experiences with these tires here in this thread is most helpful.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:40 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
My PZero's have 15K miles on them. Looks like about 2-3K tread left.
Will replace with an all season set- maybe the Mich P4SUV over a set of Latitudes. Want to ditch the dedicated snow tires, but do not want to sarcifice the great dry road handling of my GTS.

So, watching this thread for advice...
Just keep in mind that the Michelin P4SUV is not an all-season tire. It’s a summer only performance model.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (01-03-2021)
Old 09-05-2020, 05:11 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,089 Likes on 1,449 Posts

I have run many sets of Pirelli P-Zeros and Pilot Sports on my 911. The Michelin is the superior tire as its quieter, less harsh and has slightly better wet grip. I don't even get 21K miles out of the rears on my 911. These are performance tires designed for maximum grip. Unless you are really driving your Macan hard all the time, the Pilot A/S is a better choice for an SUV as it will last longer, is useful below 36 degrees unlike a summer tire, and doesn't give up much. I run the Pilot A/S on all my SUV's in the house, summer tires only on the pure sports cars.
Mark in Baltimore (09-06-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default Hello—-Michelin—listen up

Michelin needs to expand their S/CUV high performance range to 20” oem staggered.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:09 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Default Hello—-Michelin—listen up

Michelin needs to expand their S/CUV high performance range to 20” oem staggered.

Last edited by Van Larson; 09-05-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Duplicate. Delete mod. Ty.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:11 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I replaced our OEM Latitude Tour tires with PS4SUVs. The grip is better with no loss in ride or noise comfort. It rarely if ever gets below O Celsius here in the San Francisco Bay Area, so no worries about needing all-seasons or true winter tires.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:35 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I replaced our OEM Latitude Tour tires with PS4SUVs. The grip is better with no loss in ride or noise comfort. It rarely if ever gets below O Celsius here in the San Francisco Bay Area, so no worries about needing all-seasons or true winter tires.
+1
Old 09-13-2020, 10:39 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
If you are a skier it matters a lot.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

If you live where I do, All Season are of no interest; they're neither winter nor off road/summer tires.

siberian
Old 09-14-2020, 04:20 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Tennis/golf shoes in the summer.
Winter snow boots in the winter.

6 more weeks of summer tires here. First week of November, is when I change my tires over.
If you don't do your own tire changes, book your appointment NOW.Once the snow hits, they will be booked out six weeks.
Then you'll be complaining about how much the first 18 inches of your car costs.
And if your doing a mountain pass, even now, there are snow warnings already. Snow tires, or chains, or go park your car.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
Aside from the potential for damage to the rubber compound is the fact that the summer tires tread blocks will stiffen in the cold.
If there's snow on the road, it'll pack into the tire channels - and stay there, making the tires slicks. The tread blocks won't flex
enough to allow the packed in snow to be released.

Slicks are no good in the snow...
100%. I've driven on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups in the snow (R compounds, admittedly), and they were not tenable. Leaving a summer tire in freezing temps is a sure way to experience cracking. No thanks.
Liste-Renn (01-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Tires: PZero vs. Pilot Sport