Macan 2014-Current

Tires: PZero vs. Pilot Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 06:54 PM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Tires: PZero vs. Pilot Sport

My stock PZERO tires are worn out at 21k miles on my GTS. Kinda bummed that 21k miles was the limit. Thinking of going to Pilot Sport 4s which have a treadwear rating of 300 vs. 220. Anyone put Pilot Sports on their Macan? Any other tire suggestions?
Old 08-22-2020, 10:10 PM
Harry Hood
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a set of P4SUV on my 2017 GTS. I have less than 200 miles on them. So far, I am very pleased. I get good road feedback through the steering wheel and they stick nicely to the road although I won't be pushing them until they have a few hundred more miles on them. I chose these tires because I am running a set of PSS on my 997.1 and I am loving that car's ride.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:45 PM
rosen39
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

With a wear rating of "220", you can't be that surprised. Great handling, but short tire life.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:02 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Hood
I just installed a set of P4SUV on my 2017 GTS. I have less than 200 miles on them. So far, I am very pleased. I get good road feedback through the steering wheel and they stick nicely to the road although I won't be pushing them until they have a few hundred more miles on them. I chose these tires because I am running a set of PSS on my 997.1 and I am loving that car's ride.
I’d be interested to hear any future updates you may have about this. I too have considered the new P4SUVs for my ‘17 Macan GTS when the time comes. My only slight concern is the rather specific warning Michelin makes regarding the use of this tire in very cold temps, not just handling issues but also potential damage to the tires themselves (although my GTS isn’t a daily driver at all, so I can leave it parked in the garage in those conditions).
Old 08-23-2020, 11:22 AM
Harry Hood
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Florida so temperature issues were not a concern for me. I'll periodically report my experience with these tires. The Macan is my DD.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:29 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
I’d be interested to hear any future updates you may have about this. I too have considered the new P4SUVs for my ‘17 Macan GTS when the time comes. My only slight concern is the rather specific warning Michelin makes regarding the use of this tire in very cold temps, not just handling issues but also potential damage to the tires themselves (although my GTS isn’t a daily driver at all, so I can leave it parked in the garage in those conditions).
Since I occasionally use my Macan in winter weather/snow, I'm going with all-seasons when I need new rubber. I'm concerned that cold weather will ruin summer tires, and I definitely don't feel like hassling with two sets of wheels and tires; I don't need one more thing to do and one more thing to store.

I have Michelin Pilot 4S's on my 993 and love them. Didn't know there was a Michelin tire for SUVs.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:44 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Since I occasionally use my Macan in winter weather/snow, I'm going with all-seasons when I need new rubber. I'm concerned that cold weather will ruin summer tires, and I definitely don't feel like hassling with two sets of wheels and tires; I don't need one more thing to do and one more thing to store.

I have Michelin Pilot 4S's on my 993 and love them. Didn't know there was a Michelin tire for SUVs.
Here's the note from Tire Rack on the cold weather use:
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Street/Sport Truck Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage. Tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
I've never really had an issue, even living in Canada, with making sure the tires stay above -7c...usually we swap to winter tires when the temps start going below +5-10c regularly anyway.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:12 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore

Aside from the potential for damage to the rubber compound is the fact that the summer tires tread blocks will stiffen in the cold.
If there's snow on the road, it'll pack into the tire channels - and stay there, making the tires slicks. The tread blocks won't flex
enough to allow the packed in snow to be released.

Slicks are no good in the snow...

The following users liked this post:
Mark in Baltimore (09-14-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 08:28 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by PSEE
Aside from the potential for damage to the rubber compound is the fact that the summer tires tread blocks will stiffen in the cold.
If there's snow on the road, it'll pack into the tire channels - and stay there, making the tires slicks. The tread blocks won't flex
enough to allow the packed in snow to be released.

Slicks are no good in the snow...
Actually snow on snow provides traction. Which is why winter tires work to collect snow in the sipes in the tread block. Summer tires in the winter are bad because the rubber is too hard and doesn't provide grip.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 AM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

OP here. Thanks.

The Macan GTS is my DD. I also had pilot sports on my 993, where I went from PZeros to PS's. I live in the south, so cold is not an issue. BTW, the GTS is the most capable daily Ive ever had from bmw to mb to 911's. I regularly drive (vs. fly) for work and having the think cruise at a comfortable 100+mph is amazing,

I guess my main view is that I won't give up a shred of wet weather performance or dry road handling by going to PS4's over the PZeros and will hopefully gain a few 1000 miles on treadwear.

But then I guess it doesn't matter. I am two years into the car. Will probably only have the car two years more before I get bored and move onto something else! I do have a bronco on order and also am waiting for a drop in vintage pcar values this fall as the world goes to crap!

Old 08-24-2020, 10:16 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

I went from PZero to PS4S on my 981 GTS, and expect to do the same with my Macan GTS once the Pzeros are done. On the 981, they rode better (softer), had much better cold and wet weather grip, and were much quieter. Dry drip was as good if not better. No downsides. If the SUV tire is the same, the PS4S is easily the better tire.
MrMarco (03-08-2021)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:55 AM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

The P4 SUV is an XL rated tire (~10 ply) whereas OEM tires are SL (~7 ply).

XL tires aren't necessary on the Macan, and will just result in a noticeably rougher ride.

There is also a nearly 5lb weight penalty for this tire compared to the Contisportcontact 5P.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:06 PM
PSEE
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I've read that tire wear ratings are for a manufacturer's tire line - and cannot be used to compare between tire manufacturers.

Pretty useless as a comparison tool... Only seemingly good for comparing tire models within a manufacturer's line of products.

FWIW...
Old 08-24-2020, 04:30 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Not totally related, but I just replaced the 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S (N rated) on 2016 Macan S.. After 30K mostly highway miles the tread was at 5/32. Even tho I could have squeezed a few extra miles out of them, the road noise was really bad. For a while I thought I had a bad wheel bearing.
I replaced all 4 with Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus (not N rated and for which I will spend a stint in Porsche purgatory). After 1K miles all is good, way less road noise.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Nokian Hakka 9 studded for winter on 19" max rims.

And no I don't leave tires inside for a day before I can drive them by -40... All weather are a compromise and certainly not what you want if you're in regions with large temp swings.

Alas Nokian don't make any tires for the 992... so more research needed...

siberian
woohoo (09-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Tires: PZero vs. Pilot Sport