Notices
Macan 2014-Current

TORQUE VECTORING PLUS (PTV+)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020 | 11:59 AM
sterno
Instructor

Default TORQUE VECTORING PLUS (PTV+)

I have not driven a Macan GTS with Torque Vectoring Plus and was wondering what advantages.Anyone have any experience and knowledge is appreciated .
Old 08-07-2020 | 01:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

As with the system on the Cayenne, PTV+ on the Macan improves turn-in response. Using the e-diff and controlled braking application to the inside wheel, it increases turn-in action and helps avoid oversteer in certain instances. The only downside (albeit minor) is slightly increased rear brake wear due to the workings of the system.
Old 08-07-2020 | 07:47 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

It's the only way to get the mechanical limited slip differential. Several competitors in this class have that standard so that was enough to convince me to just check the box to get it.
Old 08-07-2020 | 11:26 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Originally Posted by rasetsu
It's the only way to get the mechanical limited slip differential. Several competitors in this class have that standard so that was enough to convince me to just check the box to get it.
And from what others have said it makes for a safer drive when the roads are slick.
Old 08-09-2020 | 12:22 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2021Macan
And from what others have said it makes for a safer drive when the roads are slick.
Not really, the Macan's AWD system is actually really good out of the box without the PTV option. With our S, I've never had a moment in bad weather where I've said I wish I have PTV. The AWD system does an excellent job of distributing power on the fly when roads are slick. Playing in the snow or wet you'll find the Macan is very capable. If the Macan was just RWD, then an LSD would have more impact.
Old 08-09-2020 | 01:55 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Todd B
Not really, the Macan's AWD system is actually really good out of the box without the PTV option. With our S, I've never had a moment in bad weather where I've said I wish I have PTV. The AWD system does an excellent job of distributing power on the fly when roads are slick. Playing in the snow or wet you'll find the Macan is very capable. If the Macan was just RWD, then an LSD would have more impact.
Still safer with PTV+ than without.
Old 08-09-2020 | 02:11 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

These videos may help:

Old 08-09-2020 | 04:33 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris-911
Still safer with PTV+ than without.
PSM is what adds the safety, all Macan's have that. PTV might let you go a bit faster, but that shouldn't really matter in bad conditions.

I'm all for PTV+, but just don't think it's a must have option on the Macan. My cars have PTV and I've driven Macan's with and without in the same conditions back to back.
The following users liked this post:
Mark in Baltimore (08-09-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 04:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
I'm all for PTV+, but just don't think it's a must have option on the Macan. My cars have PTV and I've driven Macan's with and without in the same conditions back to back.
Great post. One of the few Macan owners who has experience with PTV in the Macan and his other P cars.
Old 08-13-2020 | 07:15 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

"It's the only way to get the mechanical limited slip differential."

It is not a mechanical LSD.

Totally disagree with the posts above that minimize or didmiss the dramatic effect it has on performance when driving aggressively through corners.

Watch the videos posted above.
PTV+ comes with an electronic LSD- that's what the "+" signifies.
I spoke with an engineer who helped design the LSD interface- it is an amazing feature.

It is an option found on many Porsche models- hardly a gimmick. It enhances the performance of the chassis.
Since it improves turn-in, it enhances stability on low traction surfaces or contaminated by snow and rain.
You will never appreciate it driving to the grocery store.

My Macan GTS with PTV+ rotates at the apex, instead of under-steering. A 4000lb CUV cannot carve a corner nearly as well without it. It seems to defy physics: without side-slip and with minimal body roll, the chassis holds a line that would not be possible without PTV.

It is not exclusively a safety feature. It allows one to corner at a faster speed without over taxing the chassis. Simply put, it is way more fun.
That is why PTV it is now available on many Porsche models.

https://www.porschefremont.com/porsc...que-vectoring/

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 08-13-2020 at 07:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
flyingchappy (04-19-2021), JohnnyC8 (04-13-2023)
Old 08-16-2020 | 08:21 AM
Sausage416
Pro

Porsche is a performance oriented brand ,and ptv + should be standard ,the fact that you have to pay for it is a joke imo.

Quick Reply: TORQUE VECTORING PLUS (PTV+)