Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Need help with adding tow wiring harness (aftermarket)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:31 PM
atwnsw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with adding tow wiring harness (aftermarket)...

I own a 2015 Macan Turbo and purchased it used approx 3 years ago. Original owner put an aftermarket Class 3 hitch on the SUV but did not add the wiring.
Normally, I would go to Etrailer but they don't sell just a wiring harness for my car. Where could I find a compatible harness for my car?
I am hauling a 4x8 trailer from FL to NC and back for the summer so this isn't going to be a regular occurrence..
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,366 Posts

1) If you're under 1,653 lbs. towing you don't need a brake controller

2) If you're over that, check that the factory trailer connector is present (located under the driver's side dash and normally wrapped in silver soft packing). If it is, you're home to tea, just cut off the connector and connect your brake controller to that, adding a ground and a SWITCHED 12v from the controller).

3) If you don't have the harness under the dash, you can just run the wires from the back yourself. I did that on my 2008 Touareg where the tow package was there on the demo model I bought but they ripped it out (don't ask) by the time I got it. I bought a Tekonsha electrical brake controller from eTrailer, and just ran the wires from the back right (passenger) side cargo area, under the carpets/seats to the kick panel above the driver's feet and into the left side fuse panel. Just splice and solder to your controller adding the two wires from item 2. An added thought, on the P3 Tekonsha I bought it didn't come with an ON/OFF switch whereby the need for a switched 12V power. As an added precaution, I added a red lighted ON/OFF toggle switch to ensure when not needed it really was off and not drawing any current.

4) Decide if you need a 4 or 7 pin connector for your 4x8 trailer. Etrailer is a good source or even Wallyworld. Remember when checking for proper connections, unless the harness is under load (connected to the trailer) it will not show any voltage draw.

5) Lastly depending on how heavy the load is and irrespective of whether you have air suspension or not, get a WDH and anti-sway bars.

Safe towing

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 06-18-2020, 10:59 PM
armoden
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is probably just to splice a trailer light module into your signals. I installed a stealth hitch and it came with the 7 pin brackets etc, but all wired to a pretty standard relay module.

This should work just fine. If you go to the stealth hitch site and look up their instructions for installing their hitch the instructions for partial diassembly of the trunk should be there. You only need that if you want to get fancy with routing the wires. Also some place like uhaul would probably do the same thing pretty cheap.
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (06-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Need help with adding tow wiring harness (aftermarket)...