Macan 2014-Current

Wiring Battery Maintainer to Battery in Cargo Area

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 08:02 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Wiring Battery Maintainer to Battery in Cargo Area

I got tired of having to open the hood (and keep it open) every time I needed to connect a battery maintainer. I didn't need to do that much before, but with the "new normal" of the Coronavirus keeping me from using the car as much, I decided to make the task of connecting up a CTEK tender a bit easier.
There are a number of videos on YouTube showing where the battery is and how to access it, so I'll just summarize. The battery is in the cargo area, under the floor, in a compartment just in front of the spare tire.
First, you remove the carpet and cargo floor panels. They just lift up and off. Next, remove the spare tire/wheel. This will give you access to the battery compartment panel. Lift up on that and you'll see the battery underneath. From there, it's just a matter of connecting the battery tender pigtail to the terminals and routing the wire up and out of the battery compartment. Note that the pigtail is short, so you'll need the CTEK cable extension cord. There's a small cutout in the panel, so you won't be pinching the wire. You then just route the wire out from the carpet and out the back of the hatch. When you're done using the tender, there is a small area just under the cargo floor to store the cable.

Cargo area after floor panels and spare tire removed.

Peel up the carpet.

Here's the battery compartment. The icon says to read the manual!

Battery compartment open. 92Ah H8 AGM battery. You can see the terminals. Connect the pigtail to them.

The standard CTEK pigtail is short, so you will need a CTEK extension cable. Route it out of the battery compartment using the existing cutout.

The cable can be routed out from the under the carpeted floor.

Here is where you can store the cable when not needed. This space is under the cargo floor. The box to the right is the Bose subwoofer in my car.

Route the cable outside to the CTEK tender. I just close the hatch on this, figuring the seals are pliable enough.
The following users liked this post:
MarkinMD (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:34 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice explanation and pics, thanks. I'm tired of dealing with the hood, too.
Need4S (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:24 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 111 Posts

Perhaps you might get one of those airplane reminders we use on our motorcycle if we use a disk lock that says "Remove before takeoff" so you don't inadvertently drive off while connected. Connect it to your steering wheel or put it in the driver's seat.
Need4S (05-28-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 08:56 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

I just put the battery tender box on the driver's seat.
Need4S (05-28-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:16 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I have set up wife's 2019 Macan to function for both everyday (easy plug in) charging as well as method for longer term (when we are away) no worry charging.
Purchased the cigarette adapter for my CTEK Multi US 7002 and simply plug into initialized cigarette socket.
For longer term storage and charging, utilize the direct connection to the battery in the back.
This method will allow usual reset/resume CTEK protocol should there be a household power interruption.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:47 PM
MarkTr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I attached directly to the underhood posts and ran the cable out the left turn signal position. It easy for me to park and plug in. I use a Ctec 7002. The Ctec seems to work best when I lock up which shuts off many of the parasitic loads. I slightly machined down the Hex bolt on the positive lug so I can close the cover and snap it into place.

Need4S (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:29 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
I have set up wife's 2019 Macan to function for both everyday (easy plug in) charging as well as method for longer term (when we are away) no worry charging.
Purchased the cigarette adapter for my CTEK Multi US 7002 and simply plug into initialized cigarette socket.
For longer term storage and charging, utilize the direct connection to the battery in the back.
This method will allow usual reset/resume CTEK protocol should there be a household power interruption.
I thought all the sockets time-out and get disconnected. None of mine seem to be live after 20 min., whether the car is locked or not.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:33 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkTr
I attached directly to the underhood posts and ran the cable out the left turn signal position. It easy for me to park and plug in. I use a Ctec 7002. The Ctec seems to work best when I lock up which shuts off many of the parasitic loads. I slightly machined down the Hex bolt on the positive lug so I can close the cover and snap it into place.

Great idea. My only worry would be high under-hood temperatures and the potential exposure of the CTEK plug to lots of water in that location.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:16 PM
MarkTr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Great idea. My only worry would be high under-hood temperatures and the potential exposure of the CTEK plug to lots of water in that location.
I gave those same concerns a bit of thought. I used a cable cover around the CteK wires and zip tied the cable in about four places. I will take some IR temps this summer- so far does not seem to be an issue.

I have used an external plug for years on my diesel truck with no issues so I have talked myself into not worrying about it with the Macan- with paying attention to closing the port every time I remove the charger.
Need4S (06-01-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 10:08 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I thought all the sockets time-out and get disconnected. None of mine seem to be live after 20 min., whether the car is locked or not.
I've tried a couple of different methods to keep our 2019 Macan S battery charged. From the factory (Have not had any recoding), as long as the CTek 7002 is plugged into the initialize/energized cigarette shortly after turning off the motor it stays active.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:20 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

I've tried a couple of different methods to keep our 2019 Macan S battery charged. From the factory (Have not had any recoding), as long as the CTek 7002 is plugged into the initialize/energized cigarette shortly after turning off the motor it stays active.
This!!! all the current vehicles work like this. No need to deal with the battery. Never have a problem with my 911 and Cayman. The Macan gets driven enough it's battery is not an issue.

Old 06-06-2020, 04:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

this didn’t work in my 2020
Old 06-07-2020, 02:42 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

MarkTr, sending you a PM.

Quick Reply: Wiring Battery Maintainer to Battery in Cargo Area