Notices
Macan 2014-Current

New to me CPO 2019 Macan - at long last

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020 | 10:02 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Default New to me CPO 2019 Macan - at long last

Yes, it finally happened: Today, I traded in a 2014 X3 xDrive 28i for a loaded CPO 2019 base Macan, white with black/Mojave beige interior, premium plus package, 19" wheels, roof rails, LCA, PDLS plus, steering wheel heating, tinted windows, and even a trailer hitch. The 14-way seats are so comfortable - well worth it compared to the 8-way seats. It's got a tad over 9k miles and up to 5 1/2 years remaining on the CPO warranty, which just kicked in as of October 2019. It even came with a 90-day free trial with Sirius. I'm quite happy with the deal all around and very thankful to all the folks who responded to my battery of questions over the last few months. The team at Porsche Chandler (Arizona) got me in and out of there with a test drive, trade-in evaluation, going over all the finances, and a comprehensive session on the PCM and other details all within four hours. I'm floating on air (even without PASM!).
One question so far, I'm sure to be followed by a few more: Is the panoramic roof liner semi-transparent on all Macans?
I will also make a point to verify if a 128 GB FAT32 USB flash drive works OK.

Cheers,
--Tobias

Last edited by tk-porsche; 05-04-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2020 | 07:12 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Congrats and welcome!

AFAIK, the liner does let some light through.

You also have two, one-year free subscriptions to Connect and and Car Connect. Did the dealer get you set up?
Old 05-05-2020 | 11:01 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Congrats and welcome!

AFAIK, the liner does let some light through.

You also have two, one-year free subscriptions to Connect and and Car Connect. Did the dealer get you set up?
Many thanks, and yes, I do believe I got set up to the Connect services. Still a bit overwhelmed by the experience and the plethora of information! Got a lot of manual reading to do - printed copies were supplied. Any idea what the subscription costs run in subsequent years?
Old 05-05-2020 | 11:15 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Congrats, nice, looks like our 2017.

For package pricing you can goto the Porsche connect store. https://connect-store2.porsche.com/us/en

Old 05-05-2020 | 02:13 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Three separate services:

The Porsche Connect services are activated by entering your pairing code off of the Porsche.com website and going into "My Porsche" tab and setting up an account. You will get a pairing code from the site and then enter that into your PCM. Download the app and it will connect via bluetooth on your phone. You do not have to plug it in to the USB in the center console unless you want to charge or don't like bluetoothing your music Y It's free for a year. Gives you online map updates, google maps, and a host of other features.

For the Porsche Car Connect - different App - go to https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/c...lic/welcome.do You will need the dealer to activate the Car Connect module in the car with PIWIS. Kind of useless for the free year, but you can pay additional to get 24/7 vehicle tracking or breakdown/airbag activation notification to a central monitoring service. The one year free allows you to link your apple calendar to your car making it a bit easier to enter a navigation destination from the calendar or synch Amazon/Napster music.

For activating your vehicle wi-fi hotspot go to https://myvehicle.att.com/#/porsche/...US&language=en I paid $15/mo and it works well for me. Will service up to 5 devices at a time. It uses the embedded AT&T SIM card that is already in the car.
Old 05-05-2020 | 03:26 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Three separate services:

The Porsche Connect services are activated by entering your pairing code off of the Porsche.com website and going into "My Porsche" tab and setting up an account. You will get a pairing code from the site and then enter that into your PCM. Download the app and it will connect via bluetooth on your phone. You do not have to plug it in to the USB in the center console unless you want to charge or don't like bluetoothing your music Y It's free for a year. Gives you online map updates, google maps, and a host of other features.

For the Porsche Car Connect - different App - go to https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/c...lic/welcome.do You will need the dealer to activate the Car Connect module in the car with PIWIS. Kind of useless for the free year, but you can pay additional to get 24/7 vehicle tracking or breakdown/airbag activation notification to a central monitoring service. The one year free allows you to link your apple calendar to your car making it a bit easier to enter a navigation destination from the calendar or synch Amazon/Napster music.

For activating your vehicle wi-fi hotspot go to https://myvehicle.att.com/#/porsche/...US&language=en I paid $15/mo and it works well for me. Will service up to 5 devices at a time. It uses the embedded AT&T SIM card that is already in the car.
Thanks for that detailed info. Are you saying that you have to do at least the basic subscription on an annual basis just to retain the basic navigation functions, or do you mean it's needed to get the bells and whistles like voice activation, locations of nearby restaurants and stores, etc.? The Porsche Web site is really pretty useless in explaining the details, at least to me. The WIFi hotspot might be a nice option. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2020 | 03:50 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

You need the Porsche Connect for Navigation Plus, News, Finder, Porsche Voice Pilot, Radio Plus, and Weather which are part of the Navigation/Infotainment package. Comes free for a year. If you call 800-PORSCHE they can walk you through all of the options. If you are a hard core Apple Car Play guy you might not want all of this after the free trial. I have Car Play on my Macan and I rarely use it. I really like the navigation display and the Connect features such as loading destinations into your favorites from your desktop or phone and then sending to the car. All a matter of preferences.

Navigation Plus: Real-time traffic, map updates, satellite maps
News: Choose form several major new networks. Reads headlines and some stories.
Finder: Gas, hotels, restaurants, and reviews with a touch
Voice Pilot: voice command for navigation
Radio Plus: internet radio - very wide array of music types from all over the world
Weather: Detailed weather to include radar (sadly the radar weather does to overlay the navigation page.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2020 | 04:03 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tk-porsche
Thanks for that detailed info. Are you saying that you have to do at least the basic subscription on an annual basis just to retain the basic navigation functions, or do you mean it's needed to get the bells and whistles like voice activation, locations of nearby restaurants and stores, etc.? The Porsche Web site is really pretty useless in explaining the details, at least to me. The WIFi hotspot might be a nice option. Thank you.
You still get navigation without a Connect sub. What you won’t get are map updates, Google earth overlay, weather, nearby gas prices, etc. These features require a data plan of some sort.

There are three ways to get a data connection and they vary by the country you’re in. Assuming you're in the US, you have the aforementioned integrated AT&T SIM, an external SIM from the carrier of your choice, or tethering to your phone via Wifi.

There is another embedded SIM in your Macan exclusively for Car Connect (separate subscription) which is managed by Vodafone.

Car Connect and Connect both have iphone apps you need to download. You can set up and register Connect yourself, but Car Connect requires you to register at the Vodafone site where you will be given a code for a Porsche tech to install at your dealership.

Confused? You’re not alone. These services can be pretty complicated, mainly because of the different subscriptions.

If you haven’t yet, download the Porsche “Good to Know” app. It’s essentially your manual with a few videos as well as more details about Connect and Car Connect.
Old 05-05-2020 | 05:20 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Thanks, folks, that all helps. Getting updated maps is important, hence it sounds like the standard Porsche Connect would be adequate. Am not an Apple user, and hence intend to use SD/Flash storage for music. Phone connectivity is not really of interest. And, yes, I should call Porsche's help line and ask for a step-through of services. My accounts shows currently as active: Navigation Plus, News, Finder, Porsche Voice Pilot, Radio Plus, and Weather.
--Tobias
Old 05-05-2020 | 06:21 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thanks, folks, that all helps. Getting updated maps is important, hence it sounds like the standard Porsche Connect would be adequate. Am not an Apple user, and hence intend to use SD/Flash storage for music. Phone connectivity is not really of interest. And, yes, I should call Porsche's help line and ask for a step-through of services. My accounts shows currently as active: Navigation Plus, News, Finder, Porsche Voice Pilot, Radio Plus, and Weather.
--Tobias
Hit us back with questions iffy have them. You can really customize your HOME screen using the OPTION button.

When you call Porsche, they may extend you out for a full year of the Connect and Connect Plus subscriptions. They were pretty liberal with me and extended my subscription 3 months for a minor euro they made when activating my services. I'v e found the folks at the 800-PORSCHE Connect service to be far more knowledgeable than the dealership folks.
The following users liked this post:
tk-porsche (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 07:21 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Hit us back with questions iffy have them. You can really customize your HOME screen using the OPTION button.

When you call Porsche, they may extend you out for a full year of the Connect and Connect Plus subscriptions. They were pretty liberal with me and extended my subscription 3 months for a minor euro they made when activating my services. I'v e found the folks at the 800-PORSCHE Connect service to be far more knowledgeable than the dealership folks.
Thank you... My Porsche Store account states the services are only good through Nov. 27, 2020 which is certainly not a full year from the date of purchase, hence that's a good idea to ask them why it isn't and request an extension.
Old 05-05-2020 | 09:39 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Yes the headliner cloth material in new Porsches really sucks ... it doesn't block out all light if you want it to, and it's prone to tearing/ripping. Pretty cheap for such an expensive automaker's vehicles. Porsche really should be going toward using electrochromic "smart" glass for their panoramic roofs, which can be dimmed to opaque with a switch (like you see on passenger windows in Boeing Dreamliners, for example). I hear that the new Polestar 2 may be using electrochromic glass in its panoramic roofs.
tk-porsche (05-05-2020)
Old 05-07-2020 | 06:56 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

When you call Porsche, they may extend you out for a full year of the Connect and Connect Plus subscriptions. They were pretty liberal with me and extended my subscription 3 months for a minor euro they made when activating my services. I've found the folks at the 800-PORSCHE Connect service to be far more knowledgeable than the dealership folks.
I took your advice and called the Porsche Connect people, who would not budge on an extension. They said it's because as a CPO it had a previous owner, which in this case was the dealership, but they would evidently not take that into account. They also would not give me any kind of cost of what a renewal is - is this really so secretive that they don't tell you until it's time to pay up?!

I contacted the salesperson and he's going to see if he can do something.
Old 05-07-2020 | 07:13 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

I took your advice and called the Porsche Connect people, who would not budge on an extension. They said it's because as a CPO it had a previous owner, which in this case was the dealership, but they would evidently not take that into account. They also would not give me any kind of cost of what a renewal is - is this really so secretive that they don't tell you until it's time to pay up?!

I contacted the salesperson and he's going to see if he can do something.
I just called two days ago and they quoted me $189/year. I have heard folks say that they have been able to talk them down at renewal time to $99. You enter the renewal window 14 days prior. Your dealer should step up and extend you out to a year. When I got my car, the dealer didn't do the activation right and I lost 3 weeks of my Connect/Connect Plus. I called the 800 number and without asking, they extended me three months on both.

You might call back and try to get a different person. Good luck!
tk-porsche (05-07-2020)
Old 05-08-2020 | 01:44 PM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Congrats. Enjoy it in good health.
tk-porsche (05-08-2020)

Quick Reply: New to me CPO 2019 Macan - at long last