Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Fuel filler door wont open!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 11:59 AM
vinceGTS

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon
...It had Apple play and I must say I really liked it and now wish mine had it although I would never spend the money to upgrade the unit I will get it when I upgrade the Macan in a year or two!
Off topic... but if you want Apple CarPlay turned on, search the forum for simaservis1108 - a lot of very positive feedback re his services and he does it for low cost.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:48 AM
Jim McDonald
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dranon
No corrosion just the hydraulic piston somehow seized/failed and that's why even pulling on the release inside the panel did not open it. I asked them if this was common. He said he's never seen it before. Has had failures but never completely stuck like that. I am in the snow belt upstate NY. I asked how much it would have cost if I didn't have the warranty he told me around $250!
I had same problem on my 2015 Macan Turbo with 50 miles from nearest dealer in a snowstorm and with 60 miles showing on gas gauge. Emergency release did not work. I called dealer for help and they told me that I had to bring it in. When I brought it in, they confirmed that emergency release did not work and, after charging me $380 inspection fee, told me that the whole unit had to be replaced. In total, it cost me $980. It was not covered by warranty.

Car had less than 20k miles on the clock and is always kept in a garage. A mechanism for opening the gas flap should last for more than 20k miles and, as this does not appear to be that uncommon, it suggests that the part may have been defective. I asked whether Porsche would make any contribution and they refused.

Ok, just have to chalk it up to the cost of owning a Macan, but I am not a happy chappy!
The following users liked this post:
alexander_96 (10-14-2023)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:40 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Jim, would you be so kind as to refer to your bill and post the part number/s of part/s used? Porsche is so crafty these days with their parts catalog, it's impossible to find anything. (I think they like it that way.)

Last edited by NC TRACKRAT; 03-02-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Is there an ETKA (VDub) equivalent for Porsche?

siberian
Old 03-02-2021, 03:16 PM
Jim McDonald
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The part number appears to be "P95B809857F Module" costing $130. Most of the cost appears to be labour, the "first hour investigation" of $380, "forcefully open fuel cap" and "Filler flap replaced" $460, and "Environmental Dispose" old parts $10.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim McDonald
I had same problem on my 2015 Macan Turbo with 50 miles from nearest dealer in a snowstorm and with 60 miles showing on gas gauge. Emergency release did not work. I called dealer for help and they told me that I had to bring it in. When I brought it in, they confirmed that emergency release did not work and, after charging me $380 inspection fee, told me that the whole unit had to be replaced. In total, it cost me $980. It was not covered by warranty.

Car had less than 20k miles on the clock and is always kept in a garage. A mechanism for opening the gas flap should last for more than 20k miles and, as this does not appear to be that uncommon, it suggests that the part may have been defective. I asked whether Porsche would make any contribution and they refused.

Ok, just have to chalk it up to the cost of owning a Macan, but I am not a happy chappy!
That would frost my posterior, dayyum. I guess the car was under the 50K miles but past the 4 years of warranty. But $380 inspection fee !!! "Yep, it's stuck." Gotta pay for that PIWIS one way or another.
NC TRACKRAT (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Jim, thanks for posting that part number. It checks out and can be ordered on-line at various dealerships for around $120.95. I wonder if it takes an advanced degree and a PIWIS to install and program it. Oh, for simple vehicles without all the electronic "modules"! Remember manual, roll-up windows and sunroofs? Side mirrors that you adjusted by rolling down the window? Antennas that you pulled up or pushed down? Seats that you pulled a lever and either scooted back or pulled forward? Creature comforts have spoiled us rotten!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:07 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Next you're going to think COBOL and ALGOL were great programming languages and the 3270s were great terminals

siberian
Old 03-02-2021, 11:06 PM
2021Macan
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Jim, thanks for posting that part number. It checks out and can be ordered on-line at various dealerships for around $120.95. I wonder if it takes an advanced degree and a PIWIS to install and program it. Oh, for simple vehicles without all the electronic "modules"! Remember manual, roll-up windows and sunroofs? Side mirrors that you adjusted by rolling down the window? Antennas that you pulled up or pushed down? Seats that you pulled a lever and either scooted back or pulled forward? Creature comforts have spoiled us rotten!
Brights that you activated by stepping on a metal switch with your left foot? Opening the driver's side door by having to insert a metal key into the key hole below the handle? Which makes me recall my first ever car after graduating college, a four year-old used 1967 BMW 1600 with 70M miles, for which I paid all of $900. A rare but fun-to-drive car for its day, but on one extremely frigid Minnesota morning the door lock froze and I managed to snap the key in two trying to open the damn door! Getting that fixed and the key replaced cost me more than half what I paid for the car. It was more than 20 years later before I risked buying another German car vehicle, a 1988 Audi A4, which thankfully had remote lock/unlock.

Last edited by 2021Macan; 03-02-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:26 PM
jbx2
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Well I started with Fortran
Old 03-09-2021, 11:41 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbx2
Well I started with Fortran
So did I. Right out of the Navy, I went to work for a little semiconductor operation on N. Central Expressway down in Dallas, TX back in '66. Started my journey with Porsche buying a brand new 912. No nothing on it, no air, no radio, everything manual. So easy to work on, so much fun to drive. Connected to the car like none of the new ones today. Our 993's come close. That's why I like 'em so much.
jbx2 (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 12:13 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I started with PL/1 for about 6 years but then spent 12 years in high energy physics at CERN etc and pushed to use C (hard to use Fortran for low level network tasks or designing drivers...). I remember the famous words at a HEP Computing Conference in 87 when someone from Fermilab said "over my dead body will C come into my lab"... ahh the battles fought...

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 03-09-2021 at 12:14 PM.
jbx2 (03-09-2021)
Old 01-12-2023, 01:18 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim McDonald

I believe I have exactly the same problem on my '15 S: lid sticks closed, emergency release worked once but not since, locking/unlocking the car worked once but not since, now it just won't open at all. I'd really would like to avoid the excessive dealer fees, has anyone attempted to replace the failed latch mechanism themselves?

Old 01-12-2023, 01:51 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
I believe I have exactly the same problem on my '15 S: lid sticks closed, emergency release worked once but not since, locking/unlocking the car worked once but not since, now it just won't open at all. I'd really would like to avoid the excessive dealer fees, has anyone attempted to replace the failed latch mechanism themselves?
This may or may not apply. Since VW owns Porsche and Audi they share parts across all three brands. I had an Audi that had the exact same problem, and the dealers response was similar to those mentioned as to cost. What I did is essentially pried the flap open luckily with no damage. Since the problem was with the release mechanism electrically, I cut the tabs off the plunger, the part that interlocked with the flap itself. That way it couldn't lock anymore. The flap stayed completely closed while driving yet was easy to open with my finger prying up the flap. Since my Audi was diesel, didn't worry to much about folks siphoning "gas" from my car, .

Just a thought and YMMV, proceed at your own risk.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:21 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I will look in my manual, but in the meantime…… what is the “emergency release”? Thx

Quick Reply: Fuel filler door wont open!