Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Just picked up a Macan S ... have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019 | 02:44 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Default Just picked up a Macan S ... have some questions.

Hey folks - I'm new to posting in the Macan forum, so thought I'd pop by to intro and ask a couple of questions about my new ride! I just trade my 911 T for a 2020 Macan S. I'm loving the car so far as it drives wonderfully. It's no 911 but it's still a ton of fun to drive. Interior is amazing as well, so really happy over all. It feels "upscale" (as it should).

I'm actually not well versed in the Macan/Cayenne/Panamera universe (I've had 4 911s though!), so I thought I'd ask a few questions to the pros on here to help me navigate some questions/issues I'm experiencing so far:

1) I have the 21" RS Spyder wheels. Gorgeous wheels. I know I will regret it when it comes time to clean them but I don't care - they look good. For those of you that live in colder climates - how do the tires hold up and should I swap for all-season tires? On my 911s in the past, the tires would essentially freeze below 50 degrees and ... it sucked. Will I face this on the Macan as well and how will they hold up in snow?

2) The technology ... oh the technology. It's pretty bad all around from what I can tell so far. Wireless Carplay is being finicky and not always connecting. I think I've mostly solved this by attaching only one phone to the PCM. When I had both my phone and my wifes, it wasn't happy, regardless of which device was selected for Carplay. Removed hers and it seems to connect fairly consistently now without issue. This seems to be a common issue in the forum from what I can tell.

3) The memory settings. They just straight up don't work. If I set the car to fold the mirrors upon locking the car and unlock all four doors when unlocking it, it will do it one time and one time only. Then it blows away the settings to the defaults. What am I doing wrong here?

3B) Side view mirror settings memory - Every time I enter the car, I have to hit the seat position button to reset the seat and the mirrors back to where I need them to be. Why? Because every time I get out of the car, it tilts the side view mirrors (yes, both of them) ever so slightly, throwing them off. Every. Single. Time. It's driving me nuts - one expects everything to be the same when you get back in the car and one also expects to not have to push a button to adjust things every time you get in it.

Can anyone shed some light on the above issues - particularly #1, #3 and #3B please? I can live with the occasional hiccup in Carplay but the issues with settings not saving and changing all the time are driving me nuts.

Also - any hacks for steering wheel controls for audio and phone calls when running through Carplay? The implementation is less than ideal. Even in my 911 I had back/forward buttons for music that made it easy and not life threatening to change music tracks.

Thanks all - despite the above, I'm happy to be a part of the club, it's an awesome ride!
Old 12-06-2019 | 03:04 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

1. I have the same wheels. Not willing to take the chance. I swapped the summer Michelins out for all-season Pirellis.
2. My hope is Porsche will resolve some of it with software updates. A software update won't fix the missing physical prev/next buttons though. My 6s+ works flawlessly with wireless CarPlay every time. My wife's X not so much.
3 and 3B. You need to set everything, and I mean everything, exactly how you want it and then press the Set button on the driver's door then the Key button (after memory setting 2). There is also a setting in your multi-function display that controls some of this. When your MFD is on the screen that by default shows oil temp, coolant temp, etc, press the scroll button on the right side of your steering wheel. Scroll through these settings. You'll find some that deal with doors, mirrors, seats, etc. Again, I find it best practice to ALWAYS do a Set > Key after getting everything the way I want it.

When using CarPlay the volume **** on the steering wheel works but that is it.

If you are still having trouble with any of this stuff after messing with it more please let me know. I'm happy to hop in my wife's Macan and take some pics or video to help.
Old 12-06-2019 | 03:17 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by k997
I just trade my 911 T for a 2020 Macan S.
I'm still trying to get over this part! I'm sure you have your reasons for the trade, but was this a newer 911 Carrera T?!

Welcome to the Macan forum! They're great vehicles overall (as is the 911T !). As you've found already Porsche's world of PCM and Connect Services is a bit quirky and confusing, as is their seat/mirror memory system. Time spent with a very helpful dealer rep post-purchase really helped me out to understand those things better. The owner's manual just seems to add to the confusion sometimes.

Best of luck with the new ride!
Old 12-06-2019 | 03:49 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
1. I have the same wheels. Not willing to take the chance. I swapped the summer Michelins out for all-season Pirellis.
2. My hope is Porsche will resolve some of it with software updates. A software update won't fix the missing physical prev/next buttons though. My 6s+ works flawlessly with wireless CarPlay every time. My wife's X not so much.
3 and 3B. You need to set everything, and I mean everything, exactly how you want it and then press the Set button on the driver's door then the Key button (after memory setting 2). There is also a setting in your multi-function display that controls some of this. When your MFD is on the screen that by default shows oil temp, coolant temp, etc, press the scroll button on the right side of your steering wheel. Scroll through these settings. You'll find some that deal with doors, mirrors, seats, etc. Again, I find it best practice to ALWAYS do a Set > Key after getting everything the way I want it.

When using CarPlay the volume **** on the steering wheel works but that is it.

If you are still having trouble with any of this stuff after messing with it more please let me know. I'm happy to hop in my wife's Macan and take some pics or video to help.
Super helpful - thank you! I'm going to give this a shot this evening and will loop back if I run into any issues.
Old 12-06-2019 | 03:51 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
I'm still trying to get over this part! I'm sure you have your reasons for the trade, but was this a newer 911 Carrera T?!

Welcome to the Macan forum! They're great vehicles overall (as is the 911T !). As you've found already Porsche's world of PCM and Connect Services is a bit quirky and confusing, as is their seat/mirror memory system. Time spent with a very helpful dealer rep post-purchase really helped me out to understand those things better. The owner's manual just seems to add to the confusion sometimes.

Best of luck with the new ride!
Ha! Well it wasn't my first or my last 911. I'll be getting another soon enough Yes - the tech is super quirky in Porsche's and it's quite unfortunate. If they can just nail the tech side, the car(s) would be perfect.
Old 12-06-2019 | 04:05 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Was yours the GT Silver T?
Old 12-06-2019 | 04:25 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Was yours the GT Silver T?
Yes it was GT Silver but not the one that was floating around in the 991.2 forum.
The following users liked this post:
Marksy (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019 | 09:49 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

I have 21 inch Sport Classic wheels with summer tires and bought a set of 20 inch Blizzaks and wheels from Tire Rack. The total cost was around $1950. I wouldn't get all seasons. I haven't had any issues with the tech on my car so far.
Old 12-08-2019 | 09:47 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

The only "complaint" I have is that the wheels are a major PIA to clean 20",.after a car wash,I need to get out the wheel cleaner and long angled brush and get on my knees to clean the barrels..
Other than that everything works perfectly, Salesman set everything up and the only changes I've made are seat adjustments...(which do stay as set as do the mirrors)
I still have not read the Manual...my eyes roll after about 5 pages...
S far at 3000 miles this car/truck/SUV whatever has ZERO DEFECTS (I just miss the c/d player)
Old 12-08-2019 | 10:23 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

My wife has the 21” RS Spyder wheels on her 2019 Macan S. Here in MI there was no option but to go with winter wheels. Opted for the Porsche 20” Spyder winter set in black. Can with the Pirelli Scorpions.

The tech does have opportunities for improvement. Have had a few issues with the CarPlay Sync, primarily around having 2 phones synced. But seemed to have worked through it.

Regarding the memory settings, like others have posted, I’ve found it works if you get everything set, store the settings to a position, then store to the key, using the key setting. Found the same with my Turbo.

While frustrating, it is a great way to get to know the car. The “Porsche Good to Know” app, with the Macan info loaded is a great reference App too.
Old 12-08-2019 | 11:58 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by dak911
The only "complaint" I have is that the wheels are a major PIA to clean 20",.after a car wash,I need to get out the wheel cleaner and long angled brush and get on my knees to clean the barrels..
Other than that everything works perfectly, Salesman set everything up and the only changes I've made are seat adjustments...(which do stay as set as do the mirrors)
I still have not read the Manual...my eyes roll after about 5 pages...
S far at 3000 miles this car/truck/SUV whatever has ZERO DEFECTS (I just miss the c/d player)
In regard to your manual, just bookmark the manual on your computer, particularly the table of contents. When you have curiosity, or time, bring it up. Take it in small doses. Also download the app on your phone. called 'Good to Know'.
The following 2 users liked this post by wwahl:
PSEE (12-09-2019), rasetsu (12-09-2019)
Old 12-10-2019 | 03:39 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Your foolish to run Summer tires in the winter snow. They will have the same traction as stan smith tennis shoes.
I'm sure all seasons, will move you to Jordan high tops category.
tires are a wear item. I'm a shoes in the summer, boots in the winter guy.
The bumper of your Macan has the same engineering repelling properties as a Fabergé egg.
A dedicated 18, 19, 20 inch snow tire on a rim will make a vehicle a champ in the snow.

if you are the only driver. Perhaps you will survive the snow. If you share this car with anyone else? Get the snows.
They don't call them on purposes .

Plus, depending on what cloud you live on? Your insurance company may give you a snow tire discount. But you will have to ask.
And watch that fine print. There is a date on and date off stipulation.

Old 12-16-2019 | 11:29 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. The PCM now remembers all my settings after I program it to the seat position and the key and I set the "auto remember" feature via the control stalk. Not super efficient but at least it works now, so I can't complain. Otherwise, car runs great, I love it. I'll get some all-season tires thrown on there in the next week or two.
Old 12-16-2019 | 11:44 AM
uniqueMR
Rennlist Member

Congratulations
Old 08-24-2020 | 09:20 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Default One year later

One year later, at 8500 miles, still like the Macan.
The "S" exhaust has getten a bit louder (not inside the car) and more "barky" love it
The B***H in the box can't find a HOME DEPOT with out an address...
Off ramps that I used to do at 60-70 in the 911 are reduced to 55-60 (boo hoo)
Gas mileage is not great 20 ? (mix of light city and highway 80 mph)
Wheels get very dirty quickly
Rear cargo are is somewhat limited ( Spoiled by previous X 5 )
Very comfortable seats
Used half a quart of oil.. (light came on)
Sinking brake pedal on long stops .... Going in for 1 year service tomorrow....

Quick Reply: Just picked up a Macan S ... have some questions.