Macan 2014-Current

Macan configuration

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Macan configuration

The last several visits to my local PORSCHE dealer for service I have been given a Macan as a loaner, each time I asm impressed with the vehicle. Currently we have a 2014 and a 2015 Cayenne diesel both with higher mileage. Combine that with the fact I just had to sell my '18 GT3 as low back and knee issues made getting out interesting and painful. So I'm looking for something sporty yet easy to get in and out of. The Macan may be it. Now the questions:

1) does the GTS handle that much better than the "S", however I don't see the GTS on the US configurator whichever I would include PASM

2) is the Burmiester sound system that much better than the Bose. I currently haver Bose and just find that it lacks depth but in a vehicle with road noise are you really going to hear a difference

3) what problems have owners had with their Macan

If I go this route I plan to order the vehicle configured the way I want it

Thanks
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 AM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I am pretty sure that the GTS is not yet available in the 2020 model year. I was also recently on the configurator and discovered its absence. If you query this site and macanforum.com, you will see a lot of your next two questions. Reports suggest that the Burmiester is a great upgrade if you are an audiophile. Note that the Macan is very quiet and has limited road noise (with our without the insulated glass). The most common problem reported on maintenance is the transfer case. Most folks suggest warranty on these cars (I did extend my warranty to 6 years so i don't have to worry about large repair bills).
Old 11-21-2019, 11:08 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

The GTS won't be out for another year or two. Generally speaking the GTS is a value package that adds the performance goodies available on the S but for a discounted price. Plus you get a few more horses and some styling changes. So functionally you can spec an S to perform the same as a GTS.

Yes, the Burmester is much better than the Bose. Very, very much better. If you care enough to ask that question it is unquestionably worth it.

I picked up my wife's 2020 Macan S about a month ago. Currently has 1,300 miles and I put most of them on it. I configured it very high spec as she tends to keep her vehicles 7-8 years. It has every performance option you can get, plus Burmester, 18 way seats, etc.

In terms of performance, the drivetrain is nowhere near the level of a 911. It has so much mass to move around and the PDK is programmed much more conservatively than a 911/Boxster. Sport+ in the Macan is almost the equivalent of normal mode in my 911. That being said, I believe the drivetrain is getting somehow better/smarter as time goes on. Maybe I'm just getting used to it, but I can tell you I was very frustrated driving it around town when I first brought it home but am much more pleased with it now. It's not fun to daily drive to work like my 911, but it is certainly comfortable and the Burmester is killer.

Here's the thing though... I took it out on one of my favorite curvy roads and was stunned by its performance. It only had a few hundred miles on it so I wasn't caning it, but driving it as a momentum car. I couldn't be more pleased with its performance. To me it moved exactly like a Carrera 4S. A tall Carrera 4S. I'd go fast into a corner and prepare for body roll and understeer but it never happened. The Macan just set, gripped, and pulled right out. Again, exactly like a 4S. Of course that was in Sport+ with the air suspension in Low mode, and PTV+ helps as well. But it drives just like a Porsche. Because it is a Porsche. I'm not going to take it out hooning in place of my Boxster or 911, but when we are on road trips and the roads begin to curve I'm very content with the fact that I know the Macan will make me smile.

One thing I would have done different is get the 14 way seats rather than the 18 way seats. I love the 18 way seats in my Boxster, but the 14 way would have been better to live with in the Macan. Especially getting in and out with the super high bolster.

I can't speak to reliability as I've only had the Macan for a month. I seem to recall some early units had issues with... transfer cases? Maybe I'm thinking of the Cayenne. Of course if you search you can find reports of a failed PDK here or there, but that goes for any Porsche with a PDK. My indy says he's not run into any major or recurring issues with Macans since introduced and has no qualms recommending them. I would note as of 2019 the Macan S has a new (Audi) engine.

The last piece of advice I will give you is to spend quite a bit of time playing with the PCM in the 2019/2020. It has a big beautiful new screen and some cool stuff like wireless CarPlay, but overall I far prefer the prior PCM. See my thread here to understand why.
The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (11-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Macan configuration