Macan 2014-Current

Will this be a total loss?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:55 PM
Pushyeli07
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will this be a total loss?

Hello everyone, my 2017 Macan GTS was just unfortunately hit by some other vehicle and apparently the other party is at fault.

Very unlucky! But nobody got hurst at least.

I’m just wondering what could happen next and have two questions:

1. does this look like a total loss? It has only 10k miles and well equipped with MSRP of 8k

2. Should I continue with the other party’s insurance company or should I file claim with my own? Don’t know if my own insurance can be easier to work with.

appreciate if anyone with prior experience can give some guidance

added photo underneath

Last edited by Pushyeli07; 10-02-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:53 AM
crunch527
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It depends...hard to say just looking at the pic.

As for insurance, use the other persons.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:43 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

IF it is repaired, keep in mind, that your car now has DIMINISHED VALUE, meaning that when you are going to sell it or trade it the value will be less than a like one that has not been damaged.
Car Fax will probably show the accident, and a sharp purchaser will know also.
This is a bargaining point when the claim is made...wait till after the first "offer"
Old 10-02-2019, 09:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

IF the frame is tweaked and any airbags went off, it could reach a level (>75% of value) that would trigger a total write-off. Airbags and frame correction are very expensive.

IF not the above situation, if will be repaired.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,563 Likes on 4,173 Posts

Always, Always, Always go through your own insurance company!

The other guys insurance company's main objective is get the repair behind them as quickly and as inexpensively as possible. Your insurance company wants to take care of their customer - that's you - since you give them money. They will recover whatever the cost is from the other guys insurance company and I can guarantee you that they'll have better luck dealing with that other company than you will.

Totalled would be equal to 75% of the current value. I see quite a few panels damaged, front suspension damage, etc. If the airbags deployed, that means all the seat belt pretensioners also deployed so all of those will need to be replaced and they're $800-$1,000 each.

If it's on the verge of being totalled and they give you the option and the value they'll pay out is what you could go get another one for, take the totalled offer rather than having squeaks and rattles for the rest of your ownership, reduced resale value due to the accident, and paint that probably doesn't match a couple years from now.
The following users liked this post:
I am the Walrus (10-05-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Pushyeli07
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914
Always, Always, Always go through your own insurance company!

The other guys insurance company's main objective is get the repair behind them as quickly and as inexpensively as possible. Your insurance company wants to take care of their customer - that's you - since you give them money. They will recover whatever the cost is from the other guys insurance company and I can guarantee you that they'll have better luck dealing with that other company than you will.

Totalled would be equal to 75% of the current value. I see quite a few panels damaged, front suspension damage, etc. If the airbags deployed, that means all the seat belt pretensioners also deployed so all of those will need to be replaced and they're $800-$1,000 each.

If it's on the verge of being totalled and they give you the option and the value they'll pay out is what you could go get another one for, take the totalled offer rather than having squeaks and rattles for the rest of your ownership, reduced resale value due to the accident, and paint that probably doesn't match a couple years from now.
airbags are not deployed

I can see bad damage around the front right corner and I also hope it’s a total loss. It will be different if repaired and will not sell well in future
Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM
T-Rex06
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely go with your insurance company. That's what you're paying a premium for. They're obligated to protect their clients in situations like this. You won't know if the car is totaled until the body shop do a tear down to assess the extent of the damage. Best of luck to you and it truly sucks to be involved in an accident. Cars can always be repaired/replaced, and I'm glad no one is injured.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:08 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

If not totaled, I also recommend you check with your local PCA chapter to see if there's a Porsche-Certified collision center in your area to ensure everything is put back to OEM spec with the repair.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 PM
JWH7
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Totaled?

My 16 Cayenne S was hit in the same place. Insurance company appraiser under valued the cost of fix. My Porsche approved collision center found way more damage, mine appeared to have less damage than yours fwiw, and then insurance company totalled it. Fixing the A pillar properly involves removing the dash fyi.
The following users liked this post:
Pushyeli07 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm pretty sure that your insurance policy has a requirement that you inform your insurance company of the accident. Let them pursue the other insurance company.... that's part of what you pay for.

If the other driver is indeed at fault, usually won't impact your premium.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

That thing is toast.

Call your insurance company, and start shopping for a new car.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:57 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Had a cayenne 2006 titanium s and my daughter crashed it. Front bumper came off didn't look bad til they looked at frame. Totaled. Your picks look worse. Hope it's a total for you.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:45 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Always let your insurance company do the leg work with his. When my cayenne was hit I had to go directly to the other company to get diminished value and this where a good relationship with your dealer pays off . Since they are the best source as to the true value of porsche cars if you can get their sales manager to write a letter stating what your specific car was worth one minute before the accident and one minute after . The delta is diminished value
Old 10-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Pushyeli07
AutoX

Originally Posted by JWH7
My 16 Cayenne S was hit in the same place. Insurance company appraiser under valued the cost of fix. My Porsche approved collision center found way more damage, mine appeared to have less damage than yours fwiw, and then insurance company totalled it. Fixing the A pillar properly involves removing the dash fyi.
I’ll have an assessment next week at the the collision center. How did it work for you? Didn’t you go directly to the collision center and appraise the damage?

i think A pillar may have issue, but I have seen dent on B pillar as well. I’m not sure if that’s fixable
Old 10-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Pushyeli07
AutoX

Some update

I have kept both insurance company in the loop. The other drivers insurance determined 100% liability at their driver, so they are moving forward to appraise the damage and will move forward from here.

I heard the other driver only have 50k coverage, so I think if it’s totaled, there will be a gap. Will probably need my own insurance too to cover.

any one have experienced like this underinsured ?

Quick Reply: Will this be a total loss?